Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok screen shots.... Tomorrow I'll take the time to post the detailed howto explanation... Also for the hard to find stuff try searching for testtodayplugin.cab (don't install the cab.. just pull the files out)

Here is the speed dial editing bug. It does work, you just have to push the right buttons. The actual add/edit screen works fine. I have like 6 speed dials there, but...

These next two screen shots says it all... guess which one is 96DPI?

And now for some just 320x320 goodness

Last edited by insol; 07/18/2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Pics dint work....
    insol,

It's late and I should put my Treo down.

Are you saying that your hack will make RealVGA work for ALL apps on the 800w? Will this fix screen resolution incompatibilities like it did on the i780?
    I love this phone and this forum.
    Looks Awesome! Can't wait to try it out.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Are you saying that your hack will make RealVGA work for ALL apps on the 800w? Will this fix screen resolution incompatibilities like it did on the i780?
    I love this phone and this forum.
    I think I am saying half of that. The RealVGA app seems to just change the registry entries noted in previous posts. The important thing is to have the resource dll's with properly sized bitmaps, dialogs, menus, and icons -- such as the 96DPI/128DPI/192DPI resource files that travel with the RealVGA app. From what I can see these resource dlls have been dumped from ROMs of devices that support the appropriate DPI. As such, some are missing dlls that we would need for our 800s.

For example, I know for a fact that the resources used by windows live WILL be screwed here -- because 96DPI versions don't exist (that I have found). And of course there is stuff like the shot above with the Palm speed dial editing/options screen. That is the kind of thing you get when the resources are incorrectly sized or plain missing. Some some stuff is quirky (ala the hack for the dial lookup plugin). Additionally there are apps that are just sized to 240x240, like the Palm phone app which appears in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

However having said all that, it would SEEM that 96 DPI will allow most 320x240 apps to work (at least the once recently made). I have tried some particularly fussy graphics apps like handmark's yahtzee and warfare incorporated. tried several other things too like GSplayer (as you can see above), some GPS apps I have, and a few programs. These all work great now, but it does not mean every app will.
    Can you try out PocketGBA if you get a chance?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Can you try out PocketGBA if you get a chance?
    I have not tried that... but doesn't the simultaneous button issue prevent real use? I'd actually like to use it but feel like I'd be wasting my time if you cannot push two buttons at once. I think there is a thread that discusses this around here somewhere.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok... Here what is necessary to get 96DPI working (sorry for the delay).

YOU NEED A FEW THINGS TO START:
    1. Good registry editor: a free one is available here: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/uploads/regeditSTG.exe)
    2. RealVGA and the 96DPI resources cab: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327830
    3. The testtodayplugin.cab -- look and you will find it around. Alternatively if you have a ROM dump from the 7XXw series the necessary dlls can be found there.
    4. Optionally a software reboot program: http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities...pocketpc.shtml

SOME COMMENTS AND NOTES ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE (AND WHAT I AM WILLING TO TOLERATE):
    First as mentioned in this thread the speed dial edit/options screen is broken so you cannot see your entries. They are there and you can edit them, but you cannot see them. I don't use picture speed dial so I have not tried or tested it yet. The Active Call plug in works but kinda shifts things around on your today screen when you first take/make a call. The windows Live resource dlls are not available anywhere I could find with 96 DPI. I could only find the 128 DPI resource dlls. I don't use Windows Live so....

96 DPI does not solve all application problems, but it goes along way for many applications. I should also mention no warranties on this procedure. You may not be as fortunate as I was and I assume no liability for these procedures. Try this at your own risk.

NOTES ON INSTALLING:
    This is probably not for people who aren't confident with hacks and registry editing. You need to be very patient and pay close attention to your screen. It will appear to hang and some dialogs will take as much as 1 minute to finally appear (sometimes after painting the window border). You need to make sure you choose yes to the signed app messages in a timely fashion. Also you need to softreset frequently using a software reset. The 800 was kinda flaky (e.g. the today screen wont completely load or booting will hang...) sometimes it is necessary to pull the battery out. I just left the cover off most of the time while I was working on this.

Not sure it makes any difference, but I did take the Windows Live (resource dlls that start with WLM) 128 DPI dlls from the 800w ROM dump, made a copy of the various XXXXXX.128.dlls as XXXXXX.96.dlls and put them in the windows directory. Also not sure it is necessary, but I replaced the RealVGA riresdll.96.dll and shellresapps.96.dll with the ones from the 800w ROM (Palm made these 2... not sure why -- hopefully a future upgrade).

LASTLY -- I would do backups frequently and often. Every time I got the device in a state where it was squirrelly, I hard reset and began again from the "working - I feel good" backup; applying what I learned. Right now my device seems pretty stable.

------------------------------------

1. On your desktop, put the following text in notepad and save it as a file called WM5DialLookupPlugin.reg. Copy it exactly as you see here with no extra stuff (extra lines etc). Be careful of the txt extension notepad may try to add. Next copy this file to your device using activesync; my documents is fine (pay attention to where it is you'll need it in a minute)
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Dial Lookup WM5"]
    "Order"=dword:00000066
    "Flags"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000
    "Options"=dword:00000001
    "Selectability"=dword:00000002
    "Type"=dword:00000004
    "DLL"="\\Windows\\DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll"
    2. Install RealVGA
    3. Next install the 96DPIresource.cab, I did a soft reset after installing this.
    4. Go into the registry and navigate to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Today/Items and we are going to change a few things. I suggest you get a Backup/Export of the Today/Items key (assuming you are using like resco registry). If not maybe this is a good time for one of those backups so you can hard reset if necessary.
    5. Go into the "Active Call" key and change the "Type" DWORD to 4 (default is 5 or 6). This "unpins" the plugin and allows it to show up in the today preferences (i.e. control panel or from the today screen menu preferences).
    6. Go back up in the registry and into the "Dial Lookup" key and change the "Type" DWORD to 4 (default is 5 or 6). Also set Enabled DWORD to 0. This turns off the stock dial lookup plugin.
    7. After exiting the registry editor, do a soft reset here
    8. On your desktop: extract the files from the testtodayplugin.cab file to a folder on your hard drive. Use winzip or something like that. Once the files are out, you need to identify which ones are the diallookupplugin and the palmutils dlls. You need both of these. Rename the diallookup dll to DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll. This name needs to be the same as the registry file DLL entry that we put in the text file above.
    9. By now your device should have rebooted. Copy over the two dlls that we extracted from the testtodayplugin.cab (DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll and palmutilis.dll) to your device's windows directory.
    10. Using filemanager on the device go to the WM5DialLookupPlugin.reg file and run it. This will make a new registry entry in the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Today/Items key called "Dial Lookup WM5"
    12. Run RealVGA and choose the 96DPI. It will soft reboot your machine for you.
    13. Once your machine reboots choose the menu soft key, then preferences... today settings.
    14. You should see Active call and Dial Lookup WM5 in the list now. Check them both off. I made active call the third item in my list and dial lookup WM5 the fourth item (I have iLauncher above those two items -- as seen in the screen shots). Choose ok. You may get a signed message prompt when the today screen refreshes or after a soft reset
    15. Reset your device.

COUPLE OF POST INSTALL NOTES:

I don't think it makes a difference, but I did replace the RealVGA riresdll.96.dll and shellresapps.96.dll with the ones from the 800w ROM. Both of these will generate signed app yes/no dialogs 1 time each on a reboot. So be patient and careful if you choose to do this. Also during my experiments I did replace the stock speeddial dlls and the redialdb dll with the WM5 (testtodayplugin) versions and did not see any ill effects. However, the stock ones are on my device now, so I think its OK to not use them... however if you want the picture speed dial you may need to use the additional WM5 dlls (don't forget about the signed app messages and their slow appearance).

You should play with the order of the Active Call and the Dial Lookup plugins (using the today preferences) - move them up and down in your list. You will need to see where placing Active Call makes you happy. To test, I simply called voice mail to make it show up.

I did experience occasional hangs when I made changes to the Today screen plugs... taking the battery out usually fixed it. I should mention that I disabled most of my Today plugins while I was getting this stuff going and I don't use too many today plugs so I cannot speak to problems there. The device does seem sensitive to different today plugs. For example SBSH Pocketweather caused my device to hang (occasionally) until I installed it some 3 times (seems stable now though). Additionally, I did have lock ups that I could not explain, but these were usually solved with a soft reset. AS I MENTIONED I BACKED UP AFTER GETTING SOMETHING TO WORKING OR WHERE I LIKED IT -- I suggest you do the same so hard resets are not a worry or if you get to place where you aren't happy with how your device works -- you can get back.

I also used the device without tinkering (to check stability) as I made progress through this exercise. In short I did experience some hangs during use while doing this. They occurred usually after taking my device from activesync (after tinkering) and not rebooting or when i tired to change things in the today screen preferences. As I mentioned the device is stable now -- but no guarantees.
    Last edited by insol; 07/19/2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Cool. Thanks for the instructions insol!

I'm sure things will get easier once this is put into a cabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I have not tried that... but doesn't the simultaneous button issue prevent real use? I'd actually like to use it but feel like I'd be wasting my time if you cannot push two buttons at once. I think there is a thread that discusses this around here somewhere.
    I played many games on my 700wx. The simultaneous press issue is really not as much of a deal breaker as it initially appears to be. You can still play RPGs, strategy games, etc. I don't think the 800w's processor can handle GBA action games since it doesn't support XPUScalar.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Just clicked on over here from your response the post your today screen thread. That looks really great and you put a fabulous amount of work into this, friend. Definitely a bummer that they're not able to give us this option by default -- extra pixels are a waste if you can't use them!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    how do i dump the rom?

nevermind i found it.. sorry
    Thanks for all the hard work!! Lovin' it!

Last edited by thundernad; 07/24/2008 at 11:05 PM.
    I tried RealVGA too using insol's instructions, wow, that was hairy. Feedback: you will see Verizon logos if you power your phone on/off. If you have keyguard on, when making a call, you will see a box "keyboard disabled" that does not go away after hanging up. A couple of other weird things too, I'll keep track.
    there is a weird extra icon to the right of the battery that brings up the power settings dialog.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins View Post
    I tried RealVGA too using insol's instructions, wow, that was hairy. Feedback: you will see Verizon logos if you power your phone on/off. If you have keyguard on, when making a call, you will see a box "keyboard disabled" that does not go away after hanging up. A couple of other weird things too, I'll keep track.
    Yah I have the VZW logo too... I even replaced the phone on and off bitmaps (wrote over welcome_verizon.bmp with welcome_sprint.bmp etc.). Still have the VZW logo. I suspect this comes from the realVGA resource pack... but I have not located where these images are yet. I would really like to get the new (stock) dial lookup dll to act properly. I don't know why it resizes itself and I don't like the way the active call dialog moves around.

I have been enjoying my phone for a bit as it pretty much works as described above. However I am not satisfied with the quirkiness of some of this stuff... so i will be trying a few more things. Please post your findings too as not many people have tried this hack.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Followed the instructions exactly.... still can't get the call plugin to go on.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilboi View Post
    Followed the instructions exactly.... still can't get the call plugin to go on.
    I can try to help if you give me a "lil" more info. Did/Do you have all the proper DLLs and such... what exactly is happening at this point? Its not clear what you mean by "still can't get the call plugin to go on."
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I take it we aren't any closer to getting to a nice, tidy CAB install for this? I've thought about diving into RealVGA, but kept hoping there'd be a CAB in our future.

No dice, huh?

Just gonna have to take the plunge and do it the "difficult way"?

K--
    Any updates on a cab file for this?
    I'd REALLY love the extra screen real estate, but i REALLY don't want to go through all that up there, especially if there might still be compatibility issues..

wahhhhhh
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast