Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i plan on waiting until 1st of sept. for my 150 rebate although if i go to the sprint store tomm. i might just walk out with it.
    I was planning on upgrading this week, but now I'm definitely waiting until there is better software support. I had been wondering how many apps supported 320x320, and it appears that it's widely lacking at the moment. I'm sure 320x320 support will improve, but I'm no longer in a rush to buy the phone.
    After some fussing around (and some help from forum users here, thanks!) I was able to pick one up yesterday. It's not quite the miracle phone I was hoping for, but it's definetely a solid improvement over previous Treo's. Thinner than any treo previously, probably on par with other thin smartphones, but not the thinnest. Feels pretty solid, if I'm not mistaken it seems like it has the rubberized skin on the back but not on the front which is weird but makes sense (doesn't slide off your dash/leather seats etc in the car). The back is definetely more of a pain to open than previous models to get that soft reset done, I think palm is still in denial about the frequent need to soft reset any of their phones windows mobile or palm os...maybe some day we won't have to or some day they'll put the stylus accessible hole back on the phone for easy access. The wifi button hasn't been a problem, that is it's not so touchy or easy to press that you accidentally turn it on or off all the time. I have zero use for wifi so I was worried about that being an accidental battery drain all the time; no problems. The form factor is really comfortable though I have noticed the keys seem to be a bit on the cheap side compared to previous models. The OS is well, it's Windows Mobile. From seeing some of the windows mobile demos on the microsoft site I was really hoping for a treat of sorts in checking out the latest and greatest OS; it's nice don't get me wrong, but not quite as "wow" different from WM5 as I was expecting it to be...maybe that's Sprint's modifications? So far the only thing that bugs me about it is the WARMTH coming from it while on the phone, not sure why that bugs me, but it does. WM6.1 does still do strange things as previous versions have, maybe takes hitting the power button a couple times before it lights up again, that type of thing but overall a MASSIVE improvment coming from my 755P (did I mention I HATE palm OS?).

For the most part I really like it, but I'm not as wow'd by it as I was hoping to be...probably my own fault for being interested in anything "800w" since rumors began a year ago.

I have yet to try out Sprint TV or Sprint navigation, Sprint TV tells me I need a subscription for every channel though on my everything plan I'm suppose to have unlimited sprint tv...navigation is asking me to login, I'm suppose to have unlimited there too so calling Sprint today to figure those out. I just bought a jawbone 2 to use with this (charging now) and am REALLY REALLY hoping that between the phone and jawbone I will FINALLY have a truly handsfree solution that works! I've tried everything including the first jawbone with my 700wx and 755P and from what I researched online I found palm was using a BT chip manufacturer that had serious problems with BT handsfree, so I'm hoping that with the new 2.0 BT chip this got resolved...we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgmcdon View Post
    After some fussing around (and some help from forum users here, thanks!) I was able to pick one up yesterday. It's not quite the miracle phone I was hoping for, but it's definetely a solid improvement over previous Treo's. Thinner than any treo previously, probably on par with other thin smartphones, but not the thinnest. Feels pretty solid, if I'm not mistaken it seems like it has the rubberized skin on the back but not on the front which is weird but makes sense (doesn't slide off your dash/leather seats etc in the car). The back is definetely more of a pain to open than previous models to get that soft reset done, I think palm is still in denial about the frequent need to soft reset any of their phones windows mobile or palm os...maybe some day we won't have to or some day they'll put the stylus accessible hole back on the phone for easy access. The wifi button hasn't been a problem, that is it's not so touchy or easy to press that you accidentally turn it on or off all the time. I have zero use for wifi so I was worried about that being an accidental battery drain all the time; no problems. The form factor is really comfortable though I have noticed the keys seem to be a bit on the cheap side compared to previous models. The OS is well, it's Windows Mobile. From seeing some of the windows mobile demos on the microsoft site I was really hoping for a treat of sorts in checking out the latest and greatest OS; it's nice don't get me wrong, but not quite as "wow" different from WM5 as I was expecting it to be...maybe that's Sprint's modifications? So far the only thing that bugs me about it is the WARMTH coming from it while on the phone, not sure why that bugs me, but it does. WM6.1 does still do strange things as previous versions have, maybe takes hitting the power button a couple times before it lights up again, that type of thing but overall a MASSIVE improvment coming from my 755P (did I mention I HATE palm OS?).

For the most part I really like it, but I'm not as wow'd by it as I was hoping to be...probably my own fault for being interested in anything "800w" since rumors began a year ago.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I guess I was expecting way too much since the gap between the 700 to the 800 was lengthy.
    I am trying to wait till Bestbuy sells it. I like there protection plan flat rate much better that Sprint's BS monthly charge PLUS a $50 deductible.

Bestbuy usually charges about $55 for 2 years, no other fees or deductibles after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgmcdon View Post
    I just bought a jawbone 2 to use with this (charging now) and am REALLY REALLY hoping that between the phone and jawbone I will FINALLY have a truly handsfree solution that works! I've tried everything including the first jawbone with my 700wx and 755P and from what I researched online I found palm was using a BT chip manufacturer that had serious problems with BT handsfree, so I'm hoping that with the new 2.0 BT chip this got resolved...we'll see.
    I just got a jawbone 2 as well but have not purchased the 800w yet. Please let us know if you can get the headset to work with voice command with the Jawbone 2.
    I recently signed up for SERO with the Touch so I've got about a month to decide whether I want to exchange it for another phone. Tempted to snag the 800w but my biggest concern is the battery life. If it's as bad as some on here have reported, I'll probably pass on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    I recently signed up for SERO with the Touch so I've got about a month to decide whether I want to exchange it for another phone. Tempted to snag the 800w but my biggest concern is the battery life. If it's as bad as some on here have reported, I'll probably pass on it.
    Well its not good. I thought my Mogul battery was weak that it only lasts around 10-12 hours with heavy usage. The Treo would need to be charged a few times in the same period with the same usage. Can't believe Palm released this battery.
    Not anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Well its not good. I thought my Mogul battery was weak that it only lasts around 10-12 hours with heavy usage. The Treo would need to be charged a few times in the same period with the same usage. Can't believe Palm released this battery.
    Doesn't sound like a battery issue. Sounds like the device is drawing far too much power.

I thought my Mogul had bad battery life but I can leave bluetooth on with moderate email and voice usage and it will last for two days. With the extended battery it's even better.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wckesq View Post
    I am waiting just long enough for VZW to stock them.

I feel your pain...my verizon contacts said 90% sure it will be in 60-90 days, 99.99% sure before the end of the year...I feel like as everyone else's countdown finally ends mine just begins...
    "I just got a jawbone 2 as well but have not purchased the 800w yet. Please let us know if you can get the headset to work with voice command with the Jawbone 2."

I honestly don't really care about voice command, I was more concerned with just having a phone/earpiece combo that WORKED WELL (that is, the person on the other end wouldn't be annoyed that I was on a BT earpiece) as in my business I need to come across clear. Anywho, I may at some point give voice command a try, but what I can say as of now is I've been using the 800w & Jawbone2 all day today and I FINALLY have a good setup that seems to work. The "however" part of this is forget about the advertisements of using it in crowded or windy places...YEA RIGHT! I need to be in a quiet area (home office, in the car no windows open or other noise like stereo etc) for it to work well...but with that in mind, it DOES WORK WELL. FINALLY!!!

I was trying to talk to a friend in a retail parking lot with what was probably around 10mph winds and forget it, I couldn't hear him, he couldn't hear me. But as soon as I got in my car all was well...That alone is good enough for me right now, I can finally talk without a brick plastered to my face, yea!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12