Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How can there be so many problems already with a phone that was supposed to have been beta tested? I can't believe that in this day and age they would release a phone whose bluetooth didn't work with voice command. It seems like such a BASIC function of a cell phone now. I might just be waiting for the HTC Touch Pro even though I'm ready to buy a phone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    How can there be so many problems already with a phone that was supposed to have been beta tested? I can't believe that in this day and age they would release a phone whose bluetooth didn't work with voice command. It seems like such a BASIC function of a cell phone now. I might just be waiting for the HTC Touch Pro even though I'm ready to buy a phone now.
    The BT with VoiceCommand is not a bug but obviously a chosen design--why that is, who knows.

But they don't advertise the phone as being able to do that feature, nor is it something they forgot about (it was mentioned in the beta test by users)--some phones can do things, others cannot (Mogul can't BT with Wifi evidently?; the 800w can)

Not sure what other "problems" there are.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm waiting for the TC beta testing as well. Malatesta assures us that it has been throughly beta'ed but It's not beta'ed until it's TC beta'ed and we all get to see the results.

Doesn't mean anything, really. I'd would have bought one yesterday if I'd had the funds. I didn't learn a thing from the 700p...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

How about the you can't use about 1/2 of the essential applications on this phone because nothing supports the 320x320 resolution. I am very disappointed that sling player and opera do not work on this phone. Who even knows if programs like pocket nester and . I donít want a device that is not compatible with Ĺ of the software for WM. If I wanted a phone with limited software I would get an iphone lol. Anyways I hope smart people like you and other members of this forum and others can find a workaround for this or I will not be purchasing this phone.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    The BT with VoiceCommand is not a bug but obviously a chosen design--why that is, who knows.

But they don't advertise the phone as being able to do that feature, nor is it something they forgot about (it was mentioned in the beta test by users)--some phones can do things, others cannot (Mogul can't BT with Wifi evidently?; the 800w can)

I just noticed a few minutes ago that it DOES say that it supports voice dialing over BT. Page 3 of the pocket sales guide under the bluetooth section of Product Specifications, the last line says "Voice dialing over Bluetooth wireless."

So nobody has it working but it's supposed to work?? I really hope it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifsfan View Post
    How about the you can't use about 1/2 of the essential applications on this phone because nothing supports the 320x320 resolution. I am very disappointed that sling player and opera do not work on this phone. Who even knows if programs like pocket nester and . I don’t want a device that is not compatible with Ĺ of the software for WM. If I wanted a phone with limited software I would get an iphone lol. Anyways I hope smart people like you and other members of this forum and others can find a workaround for this or I will not be purchasing this phone.

lol, I mean that is inconvenient for sure...but MS supports that resolution and Samsung has had a 320x320 device on the market for months now, so it's not a bug or really Palm's fault.

(edit: And I'm not sure how Slingbox is "essential", lol. I consider essential what software the OS ships with)

So I think we need to separate inconveniences from true "bugs" or problems with the phone.

The 700w series went through the same period. Were you there when the first WM5 devices hit the market? Gah, that was a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I just noticed a few minutes ago that it DOES say that it supports voice dialing over BT. Page 3 of the pocket sales guide under the bluetooth section of Product Specifications, the last line says "Voice dialing over Bluetooth wireless."

If that's accurate then I agree--that's a problem

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    No one is forcing you to keep it. Take it back if you dont like it.

Also keep in mind that every device that comes out has "issues"- this one is no different. At least the core platofrm is solid. It is quick, has adequate RAM and call quality is decent.

Give the community a few weeks to address the rest.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post

I consider that a bug (and a manufacturer/hardware - Palm - bug at that), as most WM phones (and also most "regular" phones as well) support some form of voice dialing over Bluetooth at this point. In fact Voice Command 1.6 was released specifically to work over Bluetooth (version 1.5 did not work well due to the compression BT uses with the headset/handsfree profiles). The issue with the 700wx was reportedly a well-known hardware limitation that (apparently) was not changed with the 800w. That's somewhat devastating news to me.

Hopefully others who have the 800w can test it with various headsets so we can get some additional confirmation one way or the other (so far I've only seen one post from someone who says they've tried it unsuccessfully).
  9.    #9  
    I tried to buy one today, anyway. The stores (St. Louis) won't sell me one until Sunday. I tried 3 and gave up. Maybe I'll have a better idea of how this phone is by then, anyway. So far, I am very disappointed with some of the problems already posted.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Guys, understand that 320x320 is a newly support resolution in WM and that it's going to take developers some time to adjust and consider it while making their apps, just like when 240x240 was first being supported...
    some phones can do things, others cannot (Mogul can't BT with Wifi evidently?; the 800w can
    I've never heard about this. I'd like to protest against that statement as I just did it 5 minutes ago with no problems at all. I was talking to my friend on my bluetooth headset while browsing Treocentral on my wifi connection with ease.

In any case, it's a shame that Palm didn't include bluetooth voice dialing on the 800w. The question that remains now is whether this is an unfixable hardware issue like the 700wx, or if they're going to release a software update. Just because it's Palm, i'm leaning more towards the disappointing idea that it's an unfixable hardware issue, but I wouldn't mind being wrong at all.
    As every new Treo owner's, some are happy & some are not. It was tested & now released, then a fix will follow, then a new Treo...the life of Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    As every new Treo owner's, some are happy & some are not. It was tested & now released, then a fix will follow, then a new Treo...the life of Palm
    I'd just like to get the GPS working with all GPS-based apps (specially TomTom). I'm disappointed that the beta testers did not discover that Google Maps does not recognize the GPS using default system GPS and GMaps settings. I got it to work with custom settings but most new Treo buyers wouldn't know what to do.

I'd also like to see a working Nyditot. Instead of nagging 200 developers, if Nyditot fixes their app, everything else should work fine.

Once we have these two fixes and an extended battery, this could be the perfect phone.
  14. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Everybody has a different definition of "perfect" phone and as far I can tell, the only problem (assuming that the instruction manual is correct) is the voice dialing - have we gotten so wrapped up in our phones that we can't take it out of our pocket to dial a number?

Before you guys come back with "safety issue while driving" consider this - how many phone calls do you really have to make while driving? Isn't the real convenience of a car kit to receive a call while driving?

We just aren't that important that we have to reach out to people every second of our waking lives.

Rather than focusing on the things the phone doesn't do better than other phones out there.

Slingplayer wasn't even thought of a couple of years ago - now it is an "essential" program - sheesh

Let me start:

One of the best keyboards out there
    The rinfer on/off switch
    Better resolution - software manufacturers just need to catch up...
    Cheers

Charles
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Everybody has a different definition of "perfect" phone and as far I can tell, the only problem (assuming that the instruction manual is correct) is the voice dialing - have we gotten so wrapped up in our phones that we can't take it out of our pocket to dial a number
    I think you are missing the point. Voice dialing over bluetooth is a listed feature. The beta testers should have found the problem. They probably did find the problem and someone at Palm decided to release it anyway. Idiots. It is SUPPOSED to work. IMO, it is a very basic feature of a cell phone which is what the Treo 800's primary fuction is: a cell phone. Actually, I can live without voice dialing. I have with my Treo's all along. But, again, that isn't the point. And, apparently, there are more serious problems that just voice dialing. The GPS apparently doesn't work well and the 4 hour battery life is ridiculous.

I'll probably buy one of the things anyway and continue to varch on this board like everybody else.....
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    It is quick, has adequate RAM and call quality is decent
    I've used about every Palm smartphone made. I am curious on your comment on call quality. Maybe it is subjective but I would say the speaker is markedly worse on the 800w. I don't think my hearing is getting worse (yet).To me it is surprising to see a core element such as speaker quality dropping over a product line.

Any other thoughts on speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    and the 4 hour battery life is ridiculous.
    I wish we had some beta testers here. Didn't any of them notice this very severe problem? Perhaps the attempted fix before release was simply to dial down the brightness? The 800w is considerably harder to read in sunlight than our prior palms but it is a bit hard to stomach the idea that all they did to try and compensate for a glaring engineering mistake on the battery was to give the final effective display quality a hit.
    Last edited by aero; 07/12/2008 at 08:01 AM.
    [QUOTE=aero;1460377]I've used about every Palm smartphone made. I am curious on your comment on call quality. Maybe it is subjective but I would say the speaker is markedly worse on the 800w. I don't think my hearing is getting worse (yet).To me it is surprising to see a core element such as speaker quality dropping over a product line.QUOTE]

I have to agree with you. I dont call quality is a show stopper but it is worse then the 700wx.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    i was a beta tester for this phone.... they basically had to models of the phone out for testing.... they were trying to figure out which components worked better than others....

phone A which is what i used didnt have any of these major problems besides battery consumption so it tells me they may have used some of the parts from model B to conserve parts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPapaGato View Post
    i was a beta tester for this phone.... they basically had to models of the phone out for testing.... they were trying to figure out which components worked better than others....

phone A which is what i used didnt have any of these major problems besides battery consumption so it tells me they may have used some of the parts from model B to conserve parts
    how does one get involved with beta testing for the phone?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    If there is a problem with applications, how again is that a problem with beta testing? How is that a problem with Palm, MS, or Sprint? At least point the finger at the developers that weren't ready when the phone came out. Sheesh, if something is wrong bring it to the attention of the correct people. Sprint, Palm, MS have no bearing on what developers do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast