Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    If there is a problem with applications, how again is that a problem with beta testing? How is that a problem with Palm, MS, or Sprint? At least point the finger at the developers that weren't ready when the phone came out. Sheesh, if something is wrong bring it to the attention of the correct people. Sprint, Palm, MS have no bearing on what developers do.
    So the BT voice dialing advertised by Palm isn't their problem? What about the standalone GPS that doesn't work? By your logic, Palm could have advertised the phone coming with WM7 and then just blamed Microsoft for not finishing it in time for the phone's release.
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    how does one get involved with beta testing for the phone?
    couldnt really tell you.. i just received an email one day regarding the opportunity
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    If there is a problem with applications, how again is that a problem with beta testing? How is that a problem with Palm, MS, or Sprint? At least point the finger at the developers that weren't ready when the phone came out. Sheesh, if something is wrong bring it to the attention of the correct people. Sprint, Palm, MS have no bearing on what developers do.
    did you read the posts? discussed were palm advertised functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    How can there be so many problems already with a phone that was supposed to have been beta tested? I can't believe that in this day and age they would release a phone whose bluetooth didn't work with voice command. It seems like such a BASIC function of a cell phone now. I might just be waiting for the HTC Touch Pro even though I'm ready to buy a phone now.

I beta tested the phone for about a month and a half, and i must say that I wish I could keep my beta model. Seriously. The picky little bugs in the release model confuse me since my beta phone gave me ZERO problems except we were told that RevA wasn't enabled (no big deal). None of the GPS/Battery issues happened, no flaky phone application, nothing. Very strange.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    I beta tested the phone for about a month and a half, and i must say that I wish I could keep my beta model. Seriously. The picky little bugs in the release model confuse me since my beta phone gave me ZERO problems except we were told that RevA wasn't enabled (no big deal). None of the GPS/Battery issues happened, no flaky phone application, nothing. Very strange.
    I have done lots of beta testing over the years, including the first major consumer 300 baud modem (coming from my 50 baud telex modem with circuit boards I acid dipped myself).

A lot of times specs on mass produced components can be altered for budget reasons or a few lines of code can bust something. scheduling and the heat on bringing to market on time are more intense then ever, and you have to consider that in this case you have one buyer who is going t do most of the marketing for you and you have to dance to their tune when it comes to release date.
    Did voice dialing over BT work on your beta unit? That's another major bug in the production versions.

any word on the incentive?
    Do any of you beta testers realize what battery that was in the test phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Do any of you beta testers realize what battery that was in the test phone?
    If you mean did they know it was a Centro battery, yes they knew and it was discussed.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Post the link please. What the hell happened from after the beta test until the release?
    Post the link please.
    I didn't mean it was discussed publicly. It was discussed on the beta testers message board. We also discussed it on the podcast a few times and it was posted here back in May/June.
    What the hell happened from after the beta test until the release?
    It was only a few weeks. They made a few last minutes changes to the ROM, locked it and went to production.

There were 4-5 ROM updates during the beta period.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So are you responsible for the performance? Is this why you defend every aspect of this device? Now I get it.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    So are you responsible for the performance? Is this why you defend every aspect of this device? Now I get it.
    OMG! I have read post after post of your non-stop whinning and although after a while your negative attitude bothered me I remained silent. But I had to say something at this attack at Malatesta. Malatesta is a respectable member of our community and a valuable contributor and has been for a long time and attacks to the integrity of the people that keep this community alive are just uncalled for.

Beta testers are just that, testers, they have no other input on the decisions from Palm or Sprint other than to provide feedback. My Treo 800w is working fine, battery life is acceptable although I would get a slim extended when available and the upcoming update will fix the VC over BT issue.

If the phone is not good for you just return it man and spare us from your attitude.
    Device history:
    Pilot 5000>Palm 2MB upgrade to Palm III>Palm V>Clie PEG-TJ35>Treo 600>HP4155>Treo 650>700p>Apache>700p>755p>Apache>Mogul>Touch>BB Pearl>Curve>800W+Instinct
    I attacked Mal? Its a joke, get over it. He is respected hence asking him about beta testing which he has done with this device. I think he will sleep well tonight so no need to worry about him. Im sure he is a big boy.

I want to know where and how these issues went wrong since the beta tested units were proclaimed to be solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    OMG! I have read post after post of your non-stop whinning and although after a while your negative attitude bothered me I remained silent. But I had to say something at this attack at Malatesta. Malatesta is a respectable member of our community and a valuable contributor and has been for a long time and attacks to the integrity of the people that keep this community alive are just uncalled for.

Beta testers are just that, testers, they have no other input on the decisions from Palm or Sprint other than to provide feedback. My Treo 800w is working fine, battery life is acceptable although I would get a slim extended when available and the upcoming update will fix the VC over BT issue.

If the phone is not good for you just return it man and spare us from your attitude.
    Amen. It is funny when people place blame in the wrong area...but now blame the beta testers? A beta tester simply TESTS the phone. They do not design it, engineer it, or make the decisions of what to address before release.

I help choose beta testers for my company. We usually pick good users who know how to use the stuff and dont complain. We also pick some "lower level" users to help make sure we cover all bases. Oh, the low end users we pick are also non complainers. Hmmm....notice a trend there. I wouldnt consider about 95% of users of this BB for one obvious reason.
    Vibrant,

no, I was *not* a part of the beta testing

if I were I would think all the info I posted pre-release would get me nailed on the non-disclosure agreement.

duh.

all the info I got and posts I made were done for the people here at tc/wme--but thanks for the jab at my credibility.
    I won't tell. Now that the device has been released I was just wondering if the beta testers information was available for viewing.

I am actually a beta tester for a major Windowa application myself. Just giving you a hard time. Didn't know your Mom and Dad would chime in. j/k.
    I won't tell. Now that the device has been released I was just wondering if the beta testers information was available for viewing.

I am actually a beta tester for a major Windowa application myself. Just giving you a hard time. Didn't know your Mom and Dad would chime in. j/k.
    At times i think we all feel like beta testers for palm. They are just like any other company that has to give in to market pressure that WE help create!

I am just hoping they will start addressing things a bit faster and not be so secretive about it (not looking for a 700p repeat).

Apple has seeded iPhone v2.1 to developers already...a mere 15 days after release of the 3G...

Could you imagine getting that kind of response from palm?
    Last edited by BigKenny; 07/27/2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post
    At times i think we all feel like beta testers for palm. They are just like any other company that has to give in to market pressure that WE help create!

I am just hoping they will start addressing things a bit faster and not be so secretive about it (not looking for a 700p repeat).

Apple has seeded iPhone v2.1 to developers already...a mere 15 days after release of the 3G...

Could you imagine getting that kind of response from palm?
    Don't even bother comparing Apple to Palm. Two totally different classes of company. The 800w has so many bugs (some small and some large) that either slipped through the beta testing or were ignored by Palm.
    i guess that is one advantage of doing the hardware and OS under one company....oh wait....palm never did that with palm OS/palm hardware.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast