Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see that people have been saying that the built in GPS doesn't work with TomTom 6 (and other GPS apps) on the 800w. Are you guys sure you have your stuff configured properly? It would seem strange that no apps work with the 800w.

Start -> Settings -> System -> External GPS ->

The default tab is the programs tab, where you can select a COM port. Pick a COM port (I would pick COM4, I believe this is the default)

Under the access tab, check the "Manage GPS automatically" box.

Hit ok, then run your GPS program. When your program asks where your GPS is, select COM4 and it should work. At least, these are the settings I use on my Mogul.

If you guys try this and it still doesn't work, then something is fishy with Palm's GPS. If it doesn't work with TomTom or Garmin yet, then there isn't any point in me getting one. Please try this out and let me know if it works.
    Only COM0 and COM7 are available. I set it to COM7, selected "Other NMEA GPS" in TomTom settings, then selected COM7. It asked to reboot the device to make the config change, then said "no GPS found".

WTF is going on here? I was under the impression that the Touch and Mogul GPSs were great, and that's what you're saying also.

Other GPS apps also don't recognize the GPS...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Does this have the same problem like Mogul?

I had to use a GPSGate and a rigged quick launch by someone to get the GPS going.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Try using AstroGPSLauncher...

It's already been reported that both TomTom and Garmin work. As a quick check, start Live Search and turn on the GPS first, then without closing the app start TomTom up.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I have to use AstroGPSLauncher to start TomTom on my XV6800 which has a cooked ROM to enable GPS. Maybe it's the same on the 800W.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillet View Post
    Try using AstroGPSLauncher...

It's already been reported that both TomTom and Garmin work. As a quick check, start Live Search and turn on the GPS first, then without closing the app start TomTom up.
    Reported by whom? Where?

AstroGPSLauncher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364199
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Reported by whom? Where?

AstroGPSLauncher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364199
    My apologies. Doing a search and looking back, it appears I was referencing posts where people claimed that it *will* work. One of those seemed to be from someone who beta tested the device, but can't find that one now.

Now I'm worried, as Garmin is one of my killer apps. Won't be keeping the phone if it doesn't work, but then again Garmin knows how to use the Intermediate driver directly, so here's hoping.

Sorry to sound know-it-all-ish.
    Using AstroGPS, I was able to get GoogleMaps working, but no go on any other apps, including TomTom.

What is ALARMING, however, is that I have yet to be able to ZOOM IN on the Maps app. Can someone else who has the phone confirm that you CAN zoom in? It crashes every time I try to do so.

Still, with LiveSearch and GoogleMaps now working, I'm feeling more optimistic that we'll eventually get TomTom working. GoogleMaps requires AstroNavigator. I have not had any success running GMaps without running Astro first.

LiveSearch seems better. I think my previous attempts were unsuccessful because the crashes in the Maps app were somehow affecting the GPS.

In conclusion, two decent GPS programs are working. That's a relief.
    hmm...if TomTom doesn't work on this device, that might be a deal breaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    hmm...if TomTom doesn't work on this device, that might be a deal breaker for me.
    ...and for me as well. But I'm not too concerned. Hopefully someone will figure something out this weekend or in the coming week.
    I just want to report that I have the GPS working fine with google maps and if that is the case it should be fine with TOM TOM I suspect people just don't have it configured properly, or perhaps it is a faulty unit.

For reference under settings -> GPS manager I have the following settings

Programs Tab : GPS program port -> GPD1
    Hardware Tab: GPS Hardware Port -> Internal GPS Device
    Access Tab: Manager GPS Automatically is checked.

I hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Roloc View Post
    I just want to report that I have the GPS working fine with google maps and if that is the case it should be fine with TOM TOM I suspect people just don't have it configured properly, or perhaps it is a faulty unit.

I hope this helps

Those are the default settings but I could not get Google Maps to recognize the GPS.

I had to change it to COM7, then change GoogleMaps' GPS settings to Manual and enter COM7/4800.

Even with these settings, it doesn't work with TomTom.

Maybe this unit IS defective?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roloc View Post

I hope this helps
    Same settings. NOT working on mine. Stopped by the store on the way from work. Mngrs not working either.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillet View Post
    My apologies. Doing a search and looking back, it appears I was referencing posts where people claimed that it *will* work. One of those seemed to be from someone who beta tested the device, but can't find that one now.

Now I'm worried, as Garmin is one of my killer apps. Won't be keeping the phone if it doesn't work, but then again Garmin knows how to use the Intermediate driver directly, so here's hoping.

Sorry to sound know-it-all-ish.
    Garmin XT is working perfectly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Same settings. NOT working on mine. Stopped by the store on the way from work. Mngrs not working either.
    Try the settings I have above.

COM7 under GPS settings
    Manual under GMaps settings then COM7 and 4800 baud.

Works great.
    People having difficulty getting GPS detected may want to try this app, which helps find the com port and baud rate for the gps chip.

This app called GPSTest does good job of searching the com ports and displaying the output from there.
    http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=3170

Surur
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    google maps worked out of the box for me but tomtom7 doesnt . I tried com 0 and 7 the only two ports under windows settings. gpsinfo couldn't get0 anything. this is such a shame.
    You guys need to download gps gate, select WMGps as input, select a virtual output com port (4 or 5 or something), then assign tomtom to use that virtual comm port.

When starting fire up google maps, then gps gate, then tomtom. That *should* work unless the gps in the 800w is locked by Sprint, which I doubt it is if GMM works with it.

Good luck
    Does TomTom at least run nicely at the 320x320 screen resolution?

Curious if the programs mentioned above work...for those with a 800w, here are direct download links for your convenience

GPS Test v1.04 - freeware - does not work
    http://gps.pdatopsoft.com/download/d...01/GPSTest.exe

GPS Gate v2.6 - 14-day trial demo/$20 - WORKS!
    http://franson.com/gpsgate/GpsGatePPC.exe

Update:
    GPS Proxy v2.2 - freeware (thanks Volwrath - not test yet, but looks like it may work):
    http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/s....2_PPC.ARM.CAB
    Last edited by opacityzero; 07/12/2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    People having difficulty getting GPS detected may want to try this app, which helps find the com port and baud rate for the gps chip.

This app called GPSTest does good job of searching the com ports and displaying the output from there.
    http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=3170

Surur
    Is this any different than the built-in Autodetect features on apps like BeeLine GPS or GPSTuner? They scan every port and every baud rate and could not detect a GPS on COM7 4800.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast