Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I tried it when I got home but it did not work for me.

Instead I downloaded gpsgate and that worked fine for Google Maps and TomTom.

I'm not sure if the express version of gpsgate will work but if it does, it is only $13 which I can live with if there is no other solution.

Loving this new phone too much to let it get me down.

Can you report back and let us know if it works? I guess $13 is better than $20...which I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay. I was hoping that there would be a solution before the 14 day trial was up.
    After reading the comparison, I think we have to buy the full package of $20 instead of the cheaper $13 but I don't know for sure. Someone with more gps knowledge than I should read about it.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I got TomTom 7 now. But dont know if the Astrolauncher will work or not. Also I should be in the Mogul forum.
    how do u configure gpsgate to work with garmin
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So with the 800w coming with Sprint Navigation, why do we still need TomTom, Garmin, Copilot? I'm really curious and would love to hear what everyone has to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    So with the 800w coming with Sprint Navigation, why do we still need TomTom, Garmin, Copilot? I'm really curious and would love to hear what everyone has to say.

monthly charge of $10 unless u have one the newer data plans
    Yep, it is the monthly $10 charge for the Sprint service that keeps me using TomTom.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    TomTom's web site only lists Navigator 6. Do you get TomTom 7 if you upgrade to the latest maps (when I upgraded my TomTom Navigator 5 maps, the CD included Navigator 6)? If not, where does one get Navigator 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    how do u configure gpsgate to work with garmin
    You won't need GPSGate with Garmin. GpsGate allows software to use an internal GPS. Garmin already recognizes it. TomTom does not work with the internal GPS, even though TomTom7 can use internal GPS, it was originally designed for the HTC Diamond, which it was also ripped from.

Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    TomTom's web site only lists Navigator 6. Do you get TomTom 7 if you upgrade to the latest maps (when I upgraded my TomTom Navigator 5 maps, the CD included Navigator 6)? If not, where does one get Navigator 7?
    TomTom7 is available. It's comes with HTC Diamond, which someone was able to rip from. So you may find it floating around. Other than a few other options, the nice thing I can see about it is that it uses the Contacts according to the FileAs. TomTom6 appears to use just the Last name/First name. So if you have a company in your contacts, you will just see it as a blank on TomTom6. TomTom7 resolves this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    a) sprint navigation will cost about $270 over two years with tax. the other programs cost about $30 to nothing ( if you already have it). the amount of money is even more -- hugely more -- if you already own overseas maps.

b) you cant use sprint navigation when away from sprint, wheres you can use garmin etc when very rural areasor out of the country (IE the same reson people want wifi on the phone)

c) Also , as with any software, people build up a familiarity with navigation software. if they are used to tomtom or garmin, there is an inherent efficiency.

d) these programs can do things sprint's can't. you can add topgraphic maps. you can add marine maps. you can add European maps, etc. with igo you have a very cool vr.

Morevoer the issue is coming down to whether the product is falsely advertised as having autonomous GPS. to say the GPS needs a sprint connection would be the same as wifi not working without a sprint data connection. that is counter to the way the people think about these things. ie it is pushing the idea that it has autonomous gps, but the gps doesnt function autonomously.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    for those that have tried TomTom7, do you find that is distinctly slower than TomTom6? I ran a pre-planned route on each and on TT6, it took about 5 seconds and on TT7, it took nearly a minute to create the route.

That said, I really like that while navigating, TT7 shows you the street name you're currently on. Other than that change, I don't really see a lot of feature improvements.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    msgott-

Are your maps updated for TT7, versus the TT6 maps of the USA?

Thanks.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Does anyone have instructions on how to configure garmin xt?
    Past user of TT5, but TT7 shows the speed of travel and when you go over the speed limit on a highway it turns red! Pretty cool.
    Plus with A2DP, the voice instructions come to my BT headset although the first word seems to me cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    for those that have tried TomTom7, do you find that is distinctly slower than TomTom6? I ran a pre-planned route on each and on TT6, it took about 5 seconds and on TT7, it took nearly a minute to create the route.

That said, I really like that while navigating, TT7 shows you the street name you're currently on. Other than that change, I don't really see a lot of feature improvements.
    I don't see any difference in speed of the rerouting.

I like the contacts feature. I know with TT6, if you had a company name, TT6 would list it as blank. TT7 will show the actual company name.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Past user of TT5, but TT7 shows the speed of travel and when you go over the speed limit on a highway it turns red! Pretty cool.
    I also like that feature. I have mine set to an alarm if I go over the speed limit. It helps in those speed trap areas.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    In case anyone's interested, here's an email exchange I just received from TT regarding TT7 in the USA and our GPS issues (i.e., needing GpsGate) with the 800w:

(I deleted some identifying info, but aside from that it's a cut and paste post)

[Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. We appreciate you allowing us to be of service to you. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

This incident will remain open for the next 72 hours and will close automatically if we do not hear back. If you have follow up questions regarding your incident, please select the link below.

Thank you and Best Regards,
    The TomTom Customer Support Team

To update your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
    When will TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 be available for USA?

Discussion Thread
    Response (ST Harvey) 07/26/2008 04:03 PM
    Dear AG,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the availability of Navigator 7. My name is Harvey and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

At the current time Navigator 7 is a European product only. We have no expected date of release for this product in the US. We are unable to provide support as it has only been tested on European devices. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

A great way to stay informed about new TomTom products and services is via our Newsletter. For more information, please click on the link below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

http://www.tomtom.com/2091

In the matter if the Treo 800w, this is not a device that the Navigator 6 software is currently compatible with. For this reason we can not guarantee that the unit will work with the software. If it does, we can not guarantee that all functions such as the GPS receiver will work on the unit.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Harvey,
    TomTom Customer Support
    Customer (AG) 07/24/2008 07:39 AM
    Hello-
    I own TT Navigator 6 and have enjoyed using it with my Windows Mobile Phones. I saw that the new HTC Diamond had TT7 preinstalled, and I was wondering when a version would be available in the USA to upgrade to? Also, can you do anything to allow my TT software to recognize the built-in GPS on my Treo 800w? This is an oft reporting issue on treocentral forums and can only be "fixed" by buying the third part app gpsgate at the present time. Thanks.
    -- (xdalaw) ]
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    msgott-

Are your maps updated for TT7, versus the TT6 maps of the USA?

Thanks.
    I believe the maps are version 7. Is there any way to confirm for sure... It is distinctly slower than tt6.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    There is a version 7 map for TT7.

I did read that TT is only going to come out with their latest version for the ROM only, but somehow it has been rip.

So officially, they are not supporting TT7 on other device.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    i suspect that my version of tt7 is the same as many of the other posters so i therefore assume that i have current (i.e., version 7 maps), but i am still finding that tt7 takes much longer to calculate a route than tt6 does. i have both operational on my phone (both apps are on my storage card, i am not running them both at the same time), so i can and have run comparison tests and tt7 seems to take much longer to calculate the same route. any tips to speed up tt7?
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    any tips to speed up tt7?
    Check to see what other apps are open. I have no issues. I make sure with the task mgr that all other apps are closed. Battery life sucks with TT+GPS gate+ BT running as it is.