Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 175
  1. gottspd's Avatar
    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    #41  
    Thanks all. I got TT6 to work using GPSGate, but I have to tell you, I'm not thrilled that I may have to pay $20 just to keep TT running after having paid so much for the phone. I hope one of your brilliant coders comes up with a free fix!
  2. #42  
    Back in the days when I had my i730, in order to get tom tom to work, we ran this hack
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...t-utility.html

    maybe it will work 800w? Maybe I have to find my tom tom disc and try it for myself.
  3. Levman's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #43  
    Just curious, has anyone tried getting TomTom Navigator working on the 800W using an external (Bluetooth) GPS instead of the internal GPS?

    I realize this sort of defeats the purpose of having a device with an internal GPS ... just curious whether it works. I am considering switching to the 800W from my 700P, and having a working TomTom setup with minimal hassle is a key requirement.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    Just curious, has anyone tried getting TomTom Navigator working on the 800W using an external (Bluetooth) GPS instead of the internal GPS?

    I realize this sort of defeats the purpose of having a device with an internal GPS ... just curious whether it works. I am considering switching to the 800W from my 700P, and having a working TomTom setup with minimal hassle is a key requirement.
    I have an external bluetooth gps I useed with my 700 so I can try that for you
  5. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #45  
    I tested Tomtom 6, TomTom 7 , igo8 and Garmin XT on treo 800w
    they all work ,but only through virtual port created by GPSgate.
    Now here is the interesting stuff:
    GPSGate has list of ports that it can look for GPS for, but besides standard COM0:..COM7... it has an option called "WM GPS". If this one is selected, GPS gate will say "GPS data, but no position" and icon turn yellow even if the radio is "turned off-reset-radio still turned off". I do not believe it will ever turn green and lock position if the radio is not turned on. If the radio is turned on then it will eventually lock on the position. At this point it can let other programs navigate through it.
    now to the second interesting observation:
    if I select COM7 in GPS gate instead of "WM GPS" as the source (obviously COM7 is also selected in GPS control panel) then I do " radio turned off-reset-radio still turned off" procedure - i will not find any signal on COM7 -GPS icon is red , saying no data is coming. At this point I turn the radio on by holding the red button down. Amazingly withing 3-5 seconds , the GPSgate icon becomes green, claiming GPS signal is present and position is locked. If at this point I switch to "WM GPS" the icon is yellow and it still says GPS data but no position locked. It will lock eventually.
    Next I close GPSGate and run "GPS test" - it also finds signal on COM7, but does not see any satelites until the GPSGate locks position on "WM GPS" port.
    Here is my conclusion (speculation if you want ) - Real GPS is connected to some internal "WM GPS" port, that normal navigation software does not know about, but GPSGate does, GPS is running initially, but without some init data from aGPS it will never lock the position (has to be tested, maybe it will but it would take longer then I tried). COM7 is connected initially to aGPS only. Until the radio is off this port is dead, once radio is on the port is opened ,and aGPS data is streamed to it initially - this data is meaningless to Navigation software (not NMEA probably), but apparently is not really meaningless to GPSgate - atleast it can parse some strings from it to conclude that aGPS have a location lock. Once it starts it will kickstart the real GPS and cause it to eventually lock the position too. After that some mixed data must be coming on com7, combined of NMEA messages and aGPS messages. I'm saying this because at this point some programs are able to use data coming from port 7 (Google maps and GPS Test), but tomtom, garmin and iGo8 , do not like it. Perhaps next version of above programs will know more about 800w internal GPS and wil be able to use it regardless of aGPS. BTW tomtom7 already has an option for internal GPS, but that option was created for HTC diomond, from which tomtom 7 was ripped, so it does not work on 800w. All of the above has pure theoretical value. The only practical conclusion for me is to:
    In order to use real navigation software one must turn the radio on at least for a short period of time, then it can be turned off, but it still looks like GPSgate is required to operate as intermediate gateway. I will experement more tomorrow and report if i find something interesting.
  6. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #46  
    I've installed mobileVT (Hyperterminal for WM) here is what I can capture:
    WM GPS port redirected to com7 by GPSGate: (radio off, and was off after reset)
    $GPGLL,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,115539.875,V*23
    $GPRMC,115539.875,V,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,0.00,0.0,160708,0.0,E*47
    $GPGGA,115540.877,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,0,0,0.0,0.0,M,0.0,M,,*51
    $GPGLL,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,115540.877,V*2F
    $GPRMC,115540.877,V,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,0.00,0.0,160708,0.0,E*4B
    $GPGGA,115541.879,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,0,0,0.0,0.0,M,0.0,M,,*5E
    $GPGLL,0000.00001,N,00000.00001,E,115541.879,V*20

    Like you see Standard NMEA stream - the first parameter is time received from SAT and it is correct (11:55 GMT), the second 2 are coordinates - they are not correct (no lock)

    here is what is coming from COM7: directly after Radio is turned on and GPSGate thinks there is a lock:
    $GPGGA,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*66
    $GPRMC,,A,,,,,,,,,*26
    $GPGLL,,,,,,A*11
    $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,50.00,50.00,50.00*35
    $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
    $GPGGA,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*66
    Also kind of standard but most numbers are missng completly
    I do not know why GPSGate thinks it's locked on position - probably a bug in GPSGate or on of those string, does notify it that position is locked (there is such command, but I do not remember NMEA protocol, without reading specs)
  7. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #47  
    Ok, I just installed GPSGate and Tomtom worked immediately. Then I closed tomtom, turned off the cell radio, and started tomtom again. After a few seconds, it locked on position again. Does the system cache the location from before or was this a fresh fix using only GPS?

    I hate to have to pay $20 to get TomTom working but I will if there are no solutions before my trial runs out I guess.
  8. xdalaw's Avatar
    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    You guys need to download gps gate, select WMGps as input, select a virtual output com port (4 or 5 or something), then assign tomtom to use that virtual comm port.

    When starting fire up google maps, then gps gate, then tomtom. That *should* work unless the gps in the 800w is locked by Sprint, which I doubt it is if GMM works with it.

    Good luck
    Thanks volwrath! Worked for me, too.
    While I don't really want to spend another $20.00 to use my TomTom6, it's worth it for me even temporarily until TT or Palm make a connection easier.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  9. #49  
    Looks like its GSPGate or nothing in the near future; I would be surprised to see Palm come through with a patch, but one never knows....

    Message to Tom Tom:
    Apparently your WinMobile product will not see the GPS ports on the new Palm Treo800w, though I understand Garmin's does. Will you be sending out a patch to fix this problem soon?

    Reply (names removed)
    Subject: Treo800w compatibilty

    Response 07/21/2008 12:57 PM

    Dear _________,

    Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding the compatibility of the Navigator 6 software. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help!

    Unfortunately at this time, due to hardware and/or software issues, the Treo 800w is not compatible with our navigation software. We do understand your frustration, and we do apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. Please be aware that TomTom is committed to making our navigation software compatible with as many devices as possible. It is possible that future versions/updates of our software could include your device on our compatibility list.

    For your convenience, we have provided a direct link to the list of compatible devices for Navigator 6:

    http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...tegory=2&Lid=4

    If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

    With Best Regards,


    TomTom Customer Support
  10. tilroc's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #50  
    I am curious why all of you are working so hard @ getting TomTom & Garmin to work (besides the fact it is fun to figure these things out)? Is it b/c you already own the software & want it to work or are they that much better then the Telenav (Sprint Navigation) program. I have used standalone GPS's ie, Magellan, TomTom, Garmin & have found the Telenav to be just about as accurate (& it comes with the device) - I won't say the same about the maps program that comes with the Treo - it was way off on some directions when I compared the two products. Or is it that the TomTom & Garmin uses the GPS as opposed to aGPS?
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by tilroc View Post
    I am curious why all of you are working so hard @ getting TomTom & Garmin to work (besides the fact it is fun to figure these things out)? Is it b/c you already own the software & want it to work or are they that much better then the Telenav (Sprint Navigation) program. I have used standalone GPS's ie, Magellan, TomTom, Garmin & have found the Telenav to be just about as accurate (& it comes with the device) - I won't say the same about the maps program that comes with the Treo - it was way off on some directions when I compared the two products. Or is it that the TomTom & Garmin uses the GPS as opposed to aGPS?
    Personally I already own the Tom Tom software, however even if I didn't I am not sure I would want to pay the monthly fee for navigation through sprint. You can but the software for a one time fee and not have to pay a monthly ongoing fee to sprint.
  12. xdalaw's Avatar
    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    #52  
    Agree with azkevman 100%. I love TT, anyhow. Wish TT7 was for sale/upgrade.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  13. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #53  
    I already own TomTom, but with the sprint simply everything plan I thought maybe I might just start using Sprint Navigation. However, after trying it, I was just disgusted. It's just nothing compared to Tomtom. Sure, the updated POI database and integrated traffic would be nice, but I just love the smooth navigation screen and interface for TomTom. LOVE tomtom!
  14. #54  
    does anyone have a slight problem with TomTom with WM6? It ran so smoothly in WM5, but in WM 6 (on both my Mogul after the upgrade, and 800w), it's a little jaggy and not smooth. It's not animated anymore. It's more screen refresh every second or two.
  15. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #55  
    I had that problem on a 700p, but really I think it runs great on my 800W. The whole experience is as good as or better than I've had on any device I've installed it on. The FAST GPS fix really makes it great.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    does anyone have a slight problem with TomTom with WM6? It ran so smoothly in WM5, but in WM 6 (on both my Mogul after the upgrade, and 800w), it's a little jaggy and not smooth. It's not animated anymore. It's more screen refresh every second or two.
    I ran TomTom6 on my 700wx and also 800w. It appears to be the same. I just installed TomTom7, which I haven't tested yet. I just wish I can get an updated version of the map with TomTom. At least with TomTom7, they fixed the contacts. In TomTom6, they used they first and last name to list. So if you have a company, with no contact name, then it would show up as blank. Now with TomTom7, you can actually see the company lists.

    I like TomTom allot better, because if I'm traveling, I can set notifications for oncoming POIs. The nice thing about Garmin is that it's VERY simple UI and I have the latest map for it.
  17. #57  
    Does this solution from TomTom help?

    http://www.tomtom.com/support/soluti...age=4&FID=6350

    I can't try it now as my 800W ran out of battery for the day.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Does this solution from TomTom help?

    http://www.tomtom.com/support/soluti...age=4&FID=6350

    I can't try it now as my 800W ran out of battery for the day.
    LOL My battery is out too, sigh. Note the the registry hack should not be necesary on the 800w as the GPS icon shows by default. Will be interesting to see if the COM1 higher baud rate fixes it.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    LOL My battery is out too, sigh. Note the the registry hack should not be necesary on the 800w as the GPS icon shows by default. Will be interesting to see if the COM1 higher baud rate fixes it.
    I tried it when I got home but it did not work for me.

    Instead I downloaded gpsgate and that worked fine for Google Maps and TomTom.

    I'm not sure if the express version of gpsgate will work but if it does, it is only $13 which I can live with if there is no other solution.

    Loving this new phone too much to let it get me down.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I ran TomTom6 on my 700wx and also 800w. It appears to be the same. I just installed TomTom7, which I haven't tested yet. I just wish I can get an updated version of the map with TomTom. At least with TomTom7, they fixed the contacts. In TomTom6, they used they first and last name to list. So if you have a company, with no contact name, then it would show up as blank. Now with TomTom7, you can actually see the company lists.

    I like TomTom allot better, because if I'm traveling, I can set notifications for oncoming POIs. The nice thing about Garmin is that it's VERY simple UI and I have the latest map for it.
    where can I get a working tomtom or garmin cab file for 800w that installs with no problem
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions