Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Does TomTom at least run nicely at the 320x320 screen resolution?

Curious if the programs mentioned above work...for those with a 800w, here are direct download links for your convenience

GPS Test v1.04 - freeware:
    http://gps.pdatopsoft.com/download/d...01/GPSTest.exe

GPS Gate v2.6 - 14-day trial demo:
    http://franson.com/gpsgate/GpsGatePPC.exe
    TomTom looks great in 320. I posted a screen shot in the "what do you want to know thread". I'm confident we'll get it working eventually, even if one of the hackers has to port the HTC Cruise built-in TomTom that has an option for internal GPS. It's just disappointing that it doesn't work out of the box.
    Thanks VOLWRATH, That got got it working!

Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    You guys need to download gps gate, select WMGps as input, select a virtual output com port (4 or 5 or something), then assign tomtom to use that virtual comm port.

Good luck
    That GPSGate is quite expensive if I recall correctly. Any freeware alternatives? Does this make the GPS discoverable to other GPS apps?
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    This should work from windows settings to assign a port, I guess they just locked out the useable ports ? Not sure. But Gps Gate does in fact work on com4 for me using tomtom 6
    Last edited by ihtc; 07/12/2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Complete phone addict. Been on every carrier multiple times, paid enough in ETF's to buy a car :P
    ----------------------
    Now on: 2 phones share, 1000 minutes, Nights at 7, Unlimited txt, Unlimited data, Roaming, and PCS to PCS - $50. If they ever force a plan change for a new pda then back to AT&T I go!
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    Thanks VOLWRATH, That got got it working!
    Your welcome, I had to do the same thing for my touch and GPSGate is only $20.00 btw http://franson.com/gpsgate/purchase....cense=standard

Also it should allow all GPS apps to work

edit: there is also a freeware program called GPSProxy thay *MAY* work although I would get GPSGate running first on your machine so you will know better how to configure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihtc View Post
    This should work from windows settings to assign a port, I guess they just locked out the useable ports ? Not sure. But Gps Gate does in fact work on com4 for me using tomtom 7.
    IHTC,
    Where did you get TomTom 7?
    I have been waiting for tomtom to release a new version from 6 to 7 for pda but they are not saying anything
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    i meant 6. guess my hoping for 7 keeps making me say it , sorry for the confusion.
    Complete phone addict. Been on every carrier multiple times, paid enough in ETF's to buy a car :P
    ----------------------
    Now on: 2 phones share, 1000 minutes, Nights at 7, Unlimited txt, Unlimited data, Roaming, and PCS to PCS - $50. If they ever force a plan change for a new pda then back to AT&T I go!
    Only $20. That's not bad. Good to hear TomTom is working.
    Only $20. That's not bad. Good to hear TomTom is working. Now my remaining issues with the device will be fixed once Nyditot updates their app and Palm releases an extended battery. Then this device will be perfect.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Only COM0 and COM7 are available. I set it to COM7, selected "Other NMEA GPS" in TomTom settings, then selected COM7. It asked to reboot the device to make the config change, then said "no GPS found".

WTF is going on here? I was under the impression that the Touch and Mogul GPSs were great, and that's what you're saying also.

Other GPS apps also don't recognize the GPS...

I get the same errors on mine
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    For my TomTom6 and iGuidance 4, I have to use AstroLauncher and GPS Gate to get it to work. For iGuidance, the cursor will not scroll unless you drive at 1 mph.

This is on my Mogul. I guess its the same thing for the 800w.

TomTom 7 is coming out on the ROM. They say too much pirates on the ship.

Where to find it? You know where. Go eat a burger like me and you will find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    For my TomTom6 and iGuidance 4, I have to use AstroLauncher and GPS Gate to get it to work. For iGuidance, the cursor will not scroll unless you drive at 1 mph.

This is on my Mogul. I guess its the same thing for the 800w.

TomTom 7 is coming out on the ROM. They say too much pirates on the ship.

Where to find it? You know where. Go eat a burger like me and you will find it.
    I hear its coming out on the rom for the HTC Diamond but what about the Treo 800?
    I have not heard anything about that yet
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    TomTom also works for me with GPS Gate and I did not have to run google maps before running TomTom. I will probably work on a mortscript to automate the whole thing. I did the same thing with astrogpslauncher on my Touch with the upgraded ROM, so I hope this wont be much worse.

What I will likely have the script do is check if GPSgate is running... (set a variable that say my script did / did not open it) then open tomTom leaving the script running until TomTom closes (it is so nice to have plenty of memory)... then close GPSgate (if the script opened it) once TomTom exits.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok here is a little mortscript that will start GPSgate then start TomTom per my previous post. It is not perfect but basically works. Unfortunately GPSgate is not termination friendly so you will have to manually close it. The script at least pulls up the menu so you can do it easily if you want. You need mortscript of course and here's the download for the script itself:

http://www.smrussell.net/Start_TomTom.mscr

Alternatively if you don't mind things in your task tray (I want all the screen area I can get -- so this is not for me), GPSgate will turn itself off (saving battery) and you can have it autostart so it is always running. See this page for more info (search the page for mortscript and it will take you right to it):

http://www.mytodayscreen.com/review-franson-gpsgate/
    Last edited by insol; 07/12/2008 at 10:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    My GPSGate would crash and never work if my Mogul went into sleep mode. So I only use GPSGate when I want to use it and manually turn it off when I dont need it.

Go to xda forum and it seems like where all the developers are.

We all dont need to do this if the manuf of TT and iG would just update their software.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Has anybody tried TomTom 7 on this phone? What about iGo8?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    Has anybody tried TomTom 7 on this phone? What about iGo8?
    I tried TT7 -- works fine with the above hacks... Still need to solve the audio/charge splitting to use in my car
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    My GPSGate would crash and never work if my Mogul went into sleep mode. So I only use GPSGate when I want to use it and manually turn it off when I dont need it.

Go to xda forum and it seems like where all the developers are.

We all dont need to do this if the manuf of TT and iG would just update their software.
    I don't know why you have all these problems with your Mogul, but for me, I just turn on my TomTom and wait a minute or less and I'm going. Same with Garmin. I used to use BAF GPS toggle, but I found that TomTom and Garmin still work without it. However, I do get signal a lot quicker in TomTom if I use BAF to turn on my GPS before I run TomTom. Otherwise, you shouldn't really need any extra programs. Just select COM4 and wait for it to lock.
    OK, I installed GPSgate on my 800w and then I was able to get BeeLineGPS and TurboGPS to both show that they were locked on to satellites. They both showed my elevation and coordinates changing, but the compass and speed functions didn't work while I was just walking around my apartment. I will try it again tomorrow while outside on the elevated subway line in the Bronx. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    People having difficulty getting GPS detected may want to try this app, which helps find the com port and baud rate for the gps chip.

This app called GPSTest does good job of searching the com ports and displaying the output from there.
    http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=3170

Surur
    I tried that app but it does not find anything. Still unableto get Tom Tom or any app to use GPS.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast