Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me how to setup the 800w to be used as a modem now that it's out? I want to see if it is capable without using June Fabrics software. If so how?

It has a wireless sharing application but I am really unsure how it works. Detailed help would be appreciated... I am getting the phone and like to use it on trips if theres something I can't get done on the phone.
  2.    #2  
    bump - cough it up! please!
    If it's the same as any WM6, then on the treo, Start->Programs->Internet Sharing.
    In the Internet Sharing program select your internet connection provider and the PC & Treo connection type (bluetooth or USB). Press the "Connect" softkey. After the internet connection established, then and only then connect the Treo to PC.
    Note:
    1. You must already established YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION on the Treo.
    2. Using USB connection is the easiest. Just plug in then open your browser.
    I am unable to use 800w as a modem. I've attempted through a BT PAN & USB. Phone make repeated attempts to connect to Power Vision with no success. I end up with 'The remote party has ended this connection'
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStig View Post
    I am unable to use 800w as a modem. I've attempted through a BT PAN & USB. Phone make repeated attempts to connect to Power Vision with no success. I end up with 'The remote party has ended this connection'
    I found out the hard way, like you have, that you need to a PAM option on your account to use 'IS'. What is even more nifty, is, if we can bypass the code that IS sends out, we should be able to use it. Also, there is a modded hack of IS out there that turns the Treo into a WiFi router! So BT would not be needed.
    Here is what is strange re PAM option though - I've been using my Sprint phone as a modem for 4 years now and I've always read the heated debates of does Sprint care about DUN and the horror stories of using ones phone for heavy data and having charges of 314 dollars on the next months bill BUT I was encouraged this time to find in the Sprint quick start basics guide/pamphlet an actual page detailing how to do this. I am not arguing that perhaps I need to add more to my $99 everything plan, it just seems that using my phone as a modem is something so it would also fall in the category of 'everything'.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    it just seems that using my phone as a modem is something so it would also fall in the category of 'everything'.
    You would think, but alas, it does not. PDANet works though. I am hopeful someone will be able to get into the IS app and hack it so it does not send out an alert string that the Treo is being used as a modem.
    And there it is, right in the plan details: 'Phone as modem or tethering: not included.' Like I said, never doubted it, just didn't want to believe it. I *hate* having to use third party apps to make this simple stuff work. Why Sprint, why!?!
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I *hate* having to use third party apps to make this simple stuff work. Why Sprint, why!?!
    I concur, but I understand Sprint's reasoning.
    I suppose. I don't even show an option to add PAM or tethering through through Sprints website. Are there any other apps to consider besides PDANet? I thought I saw something about hacking BT DUN in WM 6.0, didn't know if it would fcn okay with 6.1.
    This was fixed with Mogul by just deleting a registry entry... maybe the 800w is using the same one...?
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    piggybacking on my last post, maybe this can be fixed like shown in luv2chill's post found here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread....dll#post99545
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    piggybacking on my last post, maybe this can be fixed like shown in luv2chill's post found here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread....dll#post99545
    Renaming the key worked for me.

Note that the value is listed as "IcsHelper.dll".

Yeah, Sprint's helping you all right. Straight into their pocketbooks.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to tether via USB on a Mac running OS X? I have the Phone As Modem option on my plan so I can do it legally - I just need help getting it set up. I should be able to do it without using USB Modem or PDANet but for some reason I've been unable to get it working with my Touch (getting my 800w today). Any help is appreciated.
    Ebag333 & WinterXtreme, since I'm at work I had to do some work & stop playing with my phone and could not keep up with the posts. Yes, you're both right on the mark.

I discovered that by using this reg editor:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=158975 (zip file down the page)

and renaming this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing Extension ICSHelper.dll (I simply changed this to 'Extension2' as WinterXtreme also found to work)

I can have my Internet back!

I really don't want my phone to have to be a hobby to fcn properly, but now the problem is I've opened pandoras box! My phone has a registry!

Thanks all for suggestions and help.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    hat abut WMWifiRouter or software like that (ICS Control ,Hermes_accesspoint ....did I miss anything?) - it turns your phone in to Wifi AP/hotspot. Will Sprint be able to detect that I'm tethering?will the above hack work ?
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    hat abut WMWifiRouter or software like that (ICS Control ,Hermes_accesspoint ....did I miss anything?) - it turns your phone in to Wifi AP/hotspot. Will Sprint be able to detect that I'm tethering?will the above hack work ?
    WMWiFiRouter does not work on the 800. I am trying IS Mod right now.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Mine still acts like is connecting, then it is rebuffing my connection request.
  19.    #19  
    I am going to adjust the registry but can someone post a detailed way of actually connecting the phone to the computer via bluetooth to share the connection? Mine just wants to hot sync. It's dumb (I know)but I am just not sure here.
    So I've had my 800w for a few days now, and I have tested and have most of the preinstalled applications working on the phone. However, i am unable to connect my phone to my laptop via USB or Bluetooth and then connect using the internet sharing application. I see it trying to connect and it even seem like it does for a split second but after a few tries i get a message "The Remote party has ended this connection." WTF? would they really preinstall an application that i am not allowed to use?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast