Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Try this (see attached .cab).

Make sure you do a backup before install.

Also, you may want to try PDANet or WMWifiRouter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    kyleflan,
    I do not see an Extension key under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing

instead I have settings key
    There are two different things: dun/pam and internet sharing, afaikafaikafaik.

It differs in what is doing the dialing. DUN uses the phone just as a phone, with the computer doing the dialing, so it needs your settings and password. internet sharing has the phone doing the dialing, so you just need a usb or bluetooth connection, and the extension renaming hack. I use the latter, and it works great.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    What does the registry hack accomplish?
    Once I do the hack, will Sprint bill of for using the phone as a modem?
    And what do the programs that were mentioned earlier domore than just connecting the phone to a computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    What does the registry hack accomplish?
    Once I do the hack, will Sprint bill of for using the phone as a modem?
    And what do the programs that were mentioned earlier domore than just connecting the phone to a computer?
    The hack accomplished that you can use the internet sharing program without having to pay the additional $15-$20, if you use your phone as a modem constantly throughout the month you may pop up a red flag on their system and they will automatically charge you the phone as a modem option. But if you use it in moderation, you should be ok. The other programs such as PDAnet essentially do the same thing as the hack does, except that you have to pay for them, but Sprint may still hit you with the extra charges if you download alot of MB each month through the phone.
    I applied the Tethering.zip file and when I try to connect via internet sharing, it attempts to dial #777 about 5 times and then reports:

The Remote Party Has Ended The Connection.

Any ideas?
    thanks
    Try this, works for me...

1. Start PIE to establish the connection to the internet then close PIE (the connection will stay open for a little while)
    2. Open Internet Sharing and click connect
    3. Connect the PC to your phone (It may work if your already plugged in but I find this easier and more reliable)
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    kyleflan,

I also only see the settings key, where would I find the Extension key?
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    hat abut WMWifiRouter or software like that (ICS Control ,Hermes_accesspoint ....did I miss anything?) - it turns your phone in to Wifi AP/hotspot. Will Sprint be able to detect that I'm tethering?will the above hack work ?
    I made the reg edit above and am using wmwifirouter (trial) right now for this post. Seems to be working fine and I most likely will purchase the program.
    I've noticed that sometimes the registry key "reappears" for no real reason. It'll fail to PAM, then I recheck registry, and it now has extension and extension2, which is my renamed version. Maybe I should rename the DLL value instead.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks kyleflan and kdbenoit your concise instructions got tethering sorted out for me. I was forgetting to pre-establish the connection.

As a bonus I found it even works for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. The Treo appears as a wired ethernet connection, in my case eth1, for NetworkManager. Kinda found this by accident when tethering to a VirtualBox Windows XP under Jaunty. Before I was able to click the USB connection for VirtualBox, NetworkManager popped up a notification of the wired connection.
    No prob!!!
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    When I rename the key to Extension2 and reset, my device no longer turns off automatically. For example, I have it set to turn off after 2 min of being idle while powered by the battery. After doing the hack, it doesn't shut off, EXCEPT if I enable the screensaver; then it ALWAYS goes to the screensaver after 1 min. When I rename the key back to the original name, Extension, then it goes back to shutting off automatically like it's supposed to. Even weirder, I tried leaving the Extension key and copying it to an Extension2 key (so they'd BOTH be there), and after a reset, it doesn't shut off after the configured 2 min, but at 1 min! (Maybe that was because I forgot to disable the screensaver...maybe.)

Also, when I did have Extension2, it appeared that the PC and Treo both connected properly, and the new connection was listed as "connected" in Network Connections on the PC. But, the PC still couldn't access the internet. (Last night, my Comcast was out due to storms, so I was trying this for the first time.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    SportyRydr

EDIT: It now looks like something else is making it do it.
    Last edited by sportyrydr; 06/27/2009 at 09:36 PM.
    PalmOS user since 1998. Treo user since 2006. WM user since 4/1/2009.
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    THANK YOU kyleflan

Just about to head away on vacation for a week and thanks to this forum I now have sweet internet via usb on my 800w.

I used the registry change to "extention2" then a soft reboot with SoftReset.PPC2003.cab and I'm in business.

1.5mbpps down 500k up
    Qualcom q-phone -> StarTac -> Sanyo 8100 ->Phillips Nino -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 (sprint) ->Treo 800W
    Quote Originally Posted by awisnia View Post
    THANK YOU kyleflan

Just about to head away on vacation for a week and thanks to this forum I now have sweet internet via usb on my 800w.

I used the registry change to "extention2" then a soft reboot with SoftReset.PPC2003.cab and I'm in business.

1.5mbpps down 500k up

Kyleflan or anyone else who has did made the registry change:

Has anyone incurred charges from Sprint or had any issues at all?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsupergman25xx View Post
    Thanks. How much do you use it monthly(kb) and how long have you done this?
    the most I've used was around 2-300mb..maybe more..I was on vaca and no wifi..so I used this.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleflan View Post
    For those of you who are somewhat new to this, here's a list of everything I did to get Internet Sharing to work, hopefully this will help you out. I use USB, so that's what I'll explain. Also, as a note, DO NOT connect your USB cable until told to do so.

1. Edit the registry.
    -If you don't have a registry editor, download and install PHM RegEdit (Google PHM Registry Editor and go to the first link) It's free and it works well.
    -Once downloaded and installed, open up PHM RedEdit, it should be in your "Programs" list.
    -Once open, click on "Tools" and select "Backup..."
    -For the "Name:" type a name like "RegistryBackup[Today's Date]"
    -Select a location for the backup, I suggest a Storage Card if you have one.
    -Next
    -Once the backup is completed, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing (If you don't know how to do this, see below, else skip the next step)
    -When you open PHM RegEdit you should see "MyDevice" and folders below it (if you don't see the folders below it, click the "+" beside "MyDevice."). Now click the "+" beside "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE." Next, click the "+" beside "Comm." Finally, scroll down to "Internet Sharing" and click on the folder itself, not the "+".
    -Tap and hold on "Extension" until a menu comes up. Click "Rename" in this menu. Rename "Extension" to "Extension2."
    -Exit PHM RegEdit

2. WAIT 5 MINUTES (Only necessary if you have to soft reset by removing the battery. If you have a program to soft reset, like psShutXP or QuickMenu, ignore this step) [Edit, Thanks Ebag333]

3. Soft Reset
    -If you don't have a program that allows you to do a soft reset (like psShutXP or QuickMenu) then remove the battery cover and take out the battery and then replce it. Your phone should reboot.

4. Establish an internet connection.
    -Open up Internet Explorer and go to a website so your phone connects to the internet

5. Open Internet Sharing
    -Open Internet Sharing on your phone, most likely under "Programs".

6. Select USB under "PC Connection."

7. Click "Connect." and when you see "Check USB cable connection" under status, connect your USB cable.

8. All done! Your OS (as long as it's Windows XP or greater) should recognize the device and you should be connected.

Troubleshooting-
    -If, after all the steps, you still can't connect, open PHM RegEdit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing and make sure you see "Extension2" and not "Extension." If "Extension" is still there, repeat the above steps and make sure you WAIT 5 MINUTES before soft resetting.

-If you see "Extension2" and you still can't connect because you're getting an error that says "The remote party has ended the connection." Exit Internet Sharing, disconnect the USB cable, and turn off the radio (press and hold the red end button until you see a screen that says goodbye). Now, turn the radio back on (press and hold the red end button). Make sure there is no internet connection (No forward/reverse arrows in the taskbar) and then repeat steps 4-8

Good luck!
    im stuck on the end of your first step, it says click on extensions, but i dont have that in my regedit....

why is this so complicated?

shouldnt it be easy as pie?

that wmwifirouter program is suppose to work and we dont need to have that PAM plan correct?

im trying to understand all these pages of data here, buts its so much information, some of it isnt making sense....
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    kyleflan,

ya i have settings and status, nothing else...
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567