Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What is the advantage of using WMWIFIROUTER if you need to charge your 800w too. So I just use PDAnet.

Make sense?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    WMFIROUTER seemed to much better.. I can make my 800W a hotspot and have more then one person connect if I need to... It also seemed like it gave me better thoughtput then pdanet AND I didnt need to connect any wires...

For charging I just plug in my power adaptor when I am near a place with power
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    WMFIROUTER seemed to much better.. I can make my 800W a hotspot and have more then one person connect if I need to... It also seemed like it gave me better thoughtput then pdanet AND I didnt need to connect any wires...

For charging I just plug in my power adaptor when I am near a place with power
    How did you get yours to work? Mine keeps dropping on the internet sharing. Keeps giving falied to connect. it worked for me at work on a laptop but won't work on my personal laptop a Toughbook cf-72. Any help is gretaly appreciated.
    You can't just use Bluetooth DUN like on the 700WX?
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    For those of you who are somewhat new to this, here's a list of everything I did to get Internet Sharing to work, hopefully this will help you out. I use USB, so that's what I'll explain. Also, as a note, DO NOT connect your USB cable until told to do so.

1. Edit the registry.
    -If you don't have a registry editor, download and install PHM RegEdit (Google PHM Registry Editor and go to the first link) It's free and it works well.
    -Once downloaded and installed, open up PHM RedEdit, it should be in your "Programs" list.
    -Once open, click on "Tools" and select "Backup..."
    -For the "Name:" type a name like "RegistryBackup[Today's Date]"
    -Select a location for the backup, I suggest a Storage Card if you have one.
    -Next
    -Once the backup is completed, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing (If you don't know how to do this, see below, else skip the next step)
    -When you open PHM RegEdit you should see "MyDevice" and folders below it (if you don't see the folders below it, click the "+" beside "MyDevice."). Now click the "+" beside "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE." Next, click the "+" beside "Comm." Finally, scroll down to "Internet Sharing" and click on the folder itself, not the "+".
    -Tap and hold on "Extension" until a menu comes up. Click "Rename" in this menu. Rename "Extension" to "Extension2."
    -Exit PHM RegEdit

2. WAIT 5 MINUTES (Only necessary if you have to soft reset by removing the battery. If you have a program to soft reset, like psShutXP or QuickMenu, ignore this step) [Edit, Thanks Ebag333]

3. Soft Reset
    -If you don't have a program that allows you to do a soft reset (like psShutXP or QuickMenu) then remove the battery cover and take out the battery and then replce it. Your phone should reboot.

4. Establish an internet connection.
    -Open up Internet Explorer and go to a website so your phone connects to the internet

5. Open Internet Sharing
    -Open Internet Sharing on your phone, most likely under "Programs".

6. Select USB under "PC Connection."

7. Click "Connect." and when you see "Check USB cable connection" under status, connect your USB cable.

8. All done! Your OS (as long as it's Windows XP or greater) should recognize the device and you should be connected.

Troubleshooting-
    -If, after all the steps, you still can't connect, open PHM RegEdit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing and make sure you see "Extension2" and not "Extension." If "Extension" is still there, repeat the above steps and make sure you WAIT 5 MINUTES before soft resetting.

-If you see "Extension2" and you still can't connect because you're getting an error that says "The remote party has ended the connection." Exit Internet Sharing, disconnect the USB cable, and turn off the radio (press and hold the red end button until you see a screen that says goodbye). Now, turn the radio back on (press and hold the red end button). Make sure there is no internet connection (No forward/reverse arrows in the taskbar) and then repeat steps 4-8

Good luck!
    Last edited by kyleflan; 12/05/2008 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleflan View Post
    2. WAIT 5 MINUTES (This is necessary or else the registry will be reset without changes taking effect.)
    This isn't needed if you use a soft reset program (such as psShutXP, which performs a "proper" soft reset). This is needed if you pull the battery to soft reset.
    Do you need to do anything on the PC end (install Activesync, etc)?

Is there a way to do this via bluetooth?

Does BT work well?
    still confused as to why dial up networking over bluetooth will not work like on the 700wx?
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    when I plug the treo into my laptop & hit connect on the 800w, it looks for new hardware - it says it found 'Treo'.

I do an auto installation & it wants a driver disc.

This is with XP pro.

Any ideas?

I do not have activesync installed as I use Exchange & never plug the 800w into the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    I opened up internet sharing, selected USB and started surfing with my tethered laptop.

No registry edits, hacks, reboots - nada...

Oh OPPS!!

I suppose I should mention that I Pay for it.

Mark.
    sucker
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleflan View Post
    For those of you who are somewhat new to this, here's a list of everything I did to get Internet Sharing to work, hopefully this will help you out. I use USB, so that's what I'll explain. Also, as a note, DO NOT connect your USB cable until told to do so.
    These instructions have been posted many times here but the WiFiRouter crowd does not care.

It seems that many people would prefer to spend their money on WiFiRouter, PDANet or USBModem.
    I would guess that some are afraid to edit their registry and others think they are not violating their Sprint agreement if they buy a software program.

BTW, internet sharing works perfectly over bluetooth as well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    still confused as to why dial up networking over bluetooth will not work like on the 700wx?
    Works just fine. What do you mean?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    is there anyway to make this work without installing activesync on the host pc?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    is there anyway to make this work without installing activesync on the host pc?
    Yes, if you use BT you do not need active sync. I tested this on my wife's laptop.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Can you tell me how to connect via BT without activesync? Just link the two up & off I go?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Can you tell me how to connect via BT without activesync? Just link the two up & off I go?
    Pretty much. Here is what I did

1-Make registry edit discussed earlier
    2-Put your 800w in discovery (visible mode)
    3-Put your computer in discovery mode.
    4-Accept the connection.
    5-On the 800w start the Internet Sharing program and select connect Bluetooth PAN
    6-On your computer in control panel open your network connections At the bottom you will see a icon for blue tooth network connection
    7-Click on it then click connect

Thats it. Once its setup you will only need to repeat steps 5-7 to connect.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Thanks, that worked perfectly!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    so I did the "Extension2" thing and did a soft reset and it works way fast. Just dont forget to reset or else it wont work. If you dont have a program to do it for you just take out the battery and stick it back in and walla
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Pretty much. Here is what I did

1-Make registry edit discussed earlier
    2-Put your 800w in discovery (visible mode)
    3-Put your computer in discovery mode.
    4-Accept the connection.
    5-On the 800w start the Internet Sharing program and select connect Bluetooth PAN
    6-On your computer in control panel open your network connections At the bottom you will see a icon for blue tooth network connection
    7-Click on it then click connect

Thats it. Once its setup you will only need to repeat steps 5-7 to connect.
    On mine - it all works until the PC. I'm trying Bluetooth. I was succesful with the USB cable. Now I'm trying to connect via BT. I'm able to connect to ActiveSync and sync. I can copy files via Bluetooth. I even did a Sprite backup to my PC via BT. I'm just having trouble with Internet Sharing. I got the phone to connect using BT. Soon as it connects it tells me DEVICE SETTIN FINISHED. ON THE PC CONNECT BT PAN. On the PC I click on the BT icon in the tray and click on JOIN A PERSONAL AREA NETWORK. I click on ADD. It searches but comes back saying it cannot find any BLUETOOTH DEVICES. I went into the Network Devices. It shows the BT Network Connection. The status shows DISCONNECTED, FIREWALLED. I tried disabling it and reenabling it. Why won't the PC see and connect to the
    800's PAN? Thanks alot.
    After trying and trying the computer just would not connect to the Bluetooth PAN of the phone. The computer said that the phone is not offering the PAN service for the computer to connect to. I have the same problem using a laptop. So I called Palm. Palm could not understand it. Finally the guy deliberated with someone else. He said since I don't have the Sprint Phone as Modem service the phone does not offer the PAN service. So if he's right then I assume it must be a registry entry that needs to be hacked. Anyone with more information or ideas or help? Thanks.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast