Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_in_wi View Post
    This worked for me as well and it survived a couple of restarts too. EV speeds are OK for now:

Wish I could find a great method to speed this up. I was getting twice this with my touch!
    This is using the built in option? What's the program from the Programs list?
    So, I'm a noob and a little confused - if I can rename the registry from Extension to Extension2, do I stlil need PDANet or USBModem to connect my laptop to the internet using my 800w as a modem with the USB?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmith70 View Post
    So, I'm a noob and a little confused - if I can rename the registry from Extension to Extension2, do I stlil need PDANet or USBModem to connect my laptop to the internet using my 800w as a modem with the USB?
    No, not unless you like wasting money. Your 800w has a built in application called "Internet Sharing". Just make the registry change, soft reset, connect your Treo, then run the app. Works very slick and very fsst.
    I have Roscoe reg. I can open up the line to edit but when I click on the Extension it opens but the extension part is grayed out and i can't edit it. Any Ideas?
    Just tried this out and it works great, but as I was doing this I was speaking to a client on my office phone - he reported that when he called my cell he got a message that it was disconnected or otherwise unavailable....I test it again tonight and call myself and see what happens. I don't expect to get calls when I am doing this, but would like them to go to voicemail instead of ditched altogether....
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    Just tried this out and it works great, but as I was doing this I was speaking to a client on my office phone - he reported that when he called my cell he got a message that it was disconnected or otherwise unavailable....I test it again tonight and call myself and see what happens. I don't expect to get calls when I am doing this, but would like them to go to voicemail instead of ditched altogether....
    I look forward to seeing the results of this test. This could be a big problem for some of us don't want to miss an important phone call. Sometimes we don't even want it to go to VM if it's important enough.
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/30/2008 at 08:44 AM.

Not too shabby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    I look forward to seeing the results of this test. This could be a big problem for some of us don't want to miss an important phone call. Sometimes we don't even want it to go to VM if it's important enough.
    Well I just tested this at home and the call came through just fine. Interrupted the internet sharing and let me answer. It is likely my client misdialed - he is a lawyer so they can't do too much on their own (just kidding, love lawyers, they pay my bills and I actually may want to be one, one day)
    I have been using the phone as PAM...

However, even when the phone is charged, the battery still runs out...

Does this happen to everyone else?

Thanks.
    Can someone tell me what was originally in the registry. I think i deleted it before, since i read that somewhere, and i couldnt get it to work. So if I can find out what was originally there, I could rename it and get it to work. Thank you!

yeah, I just tried adding a new string value named Extension2 and data as IcsHelper.dll

Soft Reset, and laucnhed internet sharing, and it cannot connect.
    Last edited by mbw163; 08/31/2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Took me 30 seconds to change the registry entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension"

and rename it to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension2"

and it has worked perfectly using Blue Tooth as well as USB cable on my XP pro laptop ever since

This thread is not very accurate because someone merged threads and some of the advice here applies to other Window Mobile 6.1 phones that have different registry entries that early speculators thought would apply to the 800w. All you do is make the change above and life is easy.
    Thanks! I have also attached the task manager app as well to do the registry edits wtih...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Can someone tell me what was originally in the registry. I think i deleted it before, since i read that somewhere, and i couldnt get it to work. So if I can find out what was originally there, I could rename it and get it to work. Thank you!

yeah, I just tried adding a new string value named Extension2 and data as IcsHelper.dll

Soft Reset, and laucnhed internet sharing, and it cannot connect.
    I dont know if this might be a problem, but does the change I did to my DNS server stuff effect this?

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...47&postcount=8
    Scroll down to the third one.

Nope. Not the problem

Error:
    Cannot Connect
    "the remote party has ended this connection"

Even Weirder now. I unplugged it. just opened up PIE and went to a site, then plugged it in via usb and started it up. and now it works.

How do I end up getting bluetooth PAN to connect to it now?
    Last edited by mbw163; 09/01/2008 at 12:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    How do I end up getting bluetooth PAN to connect to it now?
    BT is a little trickier. I am not near my laptop but I have it working great and I will try to tell you from memory. If I remember correctly what I did was first pair the phone with the computer as a trusted device. Then disconnect. Next what you do is first establish an Internet connection on the phone by checking your email or opening a web page. Then open the Internet sharing application and change the connection pull down to to Bluetooth PAN. Tap on the connect soft key. Now on your PC open your network connections dialog box. Find the icon that says Treo or Window Media Device. Right click on it and select connect. You will then have Internet on the PC. You do not go through active sync like you do with a USB connection.

The only part of the above that I am not 100% sure about is if you need to first establish a EVDO connection on the phone or wait until you connect to the PC. Just play around with it and I'm sure you will figure it out. It took me about 10 minutes and I'm 42.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    sorry guys i just got my 800w and im trying to get the internet sharing to work.

i downloaded the zip and thefile for task manager. i dont see how or where to edit registry with this program. i couldnt seem to find a copy of the roscoe program either.

all i need to do is have this work through bluetooth with my mac and pc.

what is the best registry editor to use and exactly how do you use it.

does usbmodem allow you to connect via bluetooth? with mac and pc?
    Ok, so if I perform this edit, which plan should I get for data tethering? PAM, Vision, other, etc??? I want to be able to BT tether.
    Last edited by svx; 09/23/2008 at 07:07 AM.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    I opened up internet sharing, selected USB and started surfing with my tethered laptop.

No registry edits, hacks, reboots - nada...

Oh OPPS!!

I suppose I should mention that I Pay for it.

Mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    I opened up internet sharing, selected USB and started surfing with my tethered laptop.

No registry edits, hacks, reboots - nada...

Oh OPPS!!

I suppose I should mention that I Pay for it.

Mark.
    Point? Trolling?
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    SO I tried renaming the registry entry and soft resetting the 800W and I get a waiting for network and then a disconnected error.. doesnt work for me. what did I do wrong?
    wow lots OF INFO . FOR those who pay for pam how much did it cost with an unlimited plan??
    Quote Originally Posted by MRC DAMAN View Post
    wow lots OF INFO . FOR those who pay for pam how much did it cost with an unlimited plan??
    Apparently, with the Simply Everything Plan, PAM is not an available add on (If that has changed in the last month or so since I checked, feel free to correct me). Which seems stupid - I was ready, willing and able to to pay an extra $15 -$20 a month for some type of PAM, but Sprint won't sell it. Last I heard, they were "thinking" about adding some type of PAM to the SEP....
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast