Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    So that was all very strange. I couldn't get the internet sharing to work with my macbook and figured that it must have been some of sprint's doing. I found this and downloaded the registry editing tool.

When I got to the registry, I couldn't find this key. When I tried to use the sharing again, it worked. Very, Very strange.

So awesome, posting this using the internet shared from my Treo over Bluetooth.

943 down
    247 up

Is that being limited by the bluetooth throughput?
    UGH all the suddent ICS no longer works. I did hard reset jus to make sure. When you activate ICS now the phone tries to reconnect through Power Vision and does not connect. Guess its back to finding the flag.
    My Bluetooth "Toys"

Sprint Treo 700p
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT w/UConnect
    HP DeskJet 450wbt
    PWC Realtor have you changed the extension key in the registry? This is most likely your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by firecat View Post
    PWC Realtor have you changed the extension key in the registry? This is most likely your problem.
    I followed the instructions in another thread and it worked. works great now.
    could you be so kind as to post the link to that thread? While I can get it to connect on the cell then connect to the pan on my mac, I'm not getting any more than 2kbits downstream and am very curious why this is happening.
    I am still during my trial for PDA Net but it is too flaky. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think it may be Active Stink since it has to use it as a bridge. It sucks because I've had problems with every known computer OS and Activesync. Bluetooth PAM connects just fine but is also flaky. Sometimes it's zippy but other times it just hangs and does nothing. WM Wifirouter didn't work. Any other PAM solutions that I can try? I have Windows XP BTW.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    usbmodem works with both windows laptop and on my macbook.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I've noticed some interresting things, any comments?

• The 'Power Vision' connection keeps coming back, even if I rename it to 'Sprint PCS' (I will then have 2 connections that dial #777)
    • If I delete the 'Power Vision' connection, then it will come back on a reset
    • I need to connect the data connection with explorer or google maps on the device before ICS will even work
    • I notice that there are 2 new network connections on the computer, one connects when ICS says 'Disconnected' and ActiveStink connects, and the other one connects when ICS says 'Check USB Connection', I think both say that they are on 'Windows Mobile-based Internet Sharing Device')
    • Sometimes the phone exibits odd behevior. If you connect the phone with USB, no ICS, sometimes the computer doesn't recognze it, and the charge light doesn't come on, even though the battery icon shows it's charging
    • If you tell the phone to connect in ICS in this state, sometimes it will say 'Can't connect for an unknown reason'. Sometimes it will say 'Check USB Cable' even though it's plugged in. Other times, when you press 'Disconnect', it will find the device.
    • It takes about 5-10 seconds for the plug and play to recognize the device.
    • If the data connection is not established with an on-device program, and I select 'connect' in ICS, then it dials and dials and dials and keeps trying to connect to 'Power Vision', with the notification baloon appearing, then disapearing, then apearing, like it's trying multiple times but getting denied connectivity.

I deleted the registry entry that pointed to ICSHelper.dll as discussed in the link earlier, and now these funky things.

Any ideas?
    Can anyone confirm that the Treo 800w has the registry string that is mention on the first page? I've checked my registry and I do not see this extension string. Kind of wierd...

I've tried using WMWifimodem (before I figured out it didn't work), perhaps it deleted this string for me? Does anyone know if this is the case?
    Could someone who's ICS that is working verify what version their windows\ICSHelper.dll file is. Mine doesn't work and every time I change the ICS registry setting to "Sprint PCS" and reset, it's back to "Power Vision" like yodafreak stated.

There has to be a .dll file responsible for changing this back.

My windows\ICShelper.dll = 7.24k (7416 bytes)

About:
    Mobile 6.1 Pro
    CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)

Software Version:
    TREO800w-1.03-SPNT
    Firmware Version: 116
    Last edited by indyboy; 08/08/2008 at 05:12 AM.
    One more question; did anyone with a phone that is not working recieve it directly through UPS/Fedex shipping from Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    usbmodem works with both windows laptop and on my macbook.
    yes and time is money. for people spending more than an hour or two trying to do it, they are much better off with usbmodem
    Took me 30 seconds to change the registry entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension"

and rename it to
    "Extension2"

and it has worked perfectly using Blue Tooth as well as USB cable on my XP pro laptop ever since

This thread is not very accurate because someone merged threads and some of the advice here applies to other Window Mobile 6.1 phones that have different registry entries that early speculators thought would apply to the 800w. All you do is make the change above and life is easy.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by indyboy View Post
    One more question; did anyone with a phone that is not working recieve it directly through UPS/Fedex shipping from Sprint?

Yes, see above post and ignore all other info in this thread.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Yes. but if this is a perosn first registry action they will also have to get a registry editor etc.

I was just pointing out a number of people seem to be spending an lot of time
    can someone please explain step by step on how to install the items needed to get this IS working on the 800w

i have been reading all of these threads and i must say that i am confuse. I am new to all this (it could explain why) but i just need to know if this works.
    yes or no.
    please

"Extension"

and rename it to
    "Extension2"

and it has worked perfectly using Blue Tooth as well as USB cable on my XP pro laptop ever since

This thread is not very accurate because someone merged threads and some of the advice here applies to other Window Mobile 6.1 phones that have different registry entries that early speculators thought would apply to the 800w. All you do is make the change above and life is easy.

This worked for me as well and it survived a couple of restarts too. EV speeds are OK for now:

Wish I could find a great method to speed this up. I was getting twice this with my touch!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Originally had a lot of problems. The latest directions to just change from Extension to Extension2 worked great.
    Aside from pairing the device in XP, is there something specific to do on the PC end (setup a new dialup connection) ?

I can see this being handy if the internet goes down on my end.

"Extension"

and rename it to
    "Extension2"

20. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    PDANet works fine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast