Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I believe you need a "Phone as Modem" plan in order for that application to work. Sprint didn't disable the application, they just made sure that those who want to use it are paying the extra monthly fee that they require.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    b3tt3r, what OS are you running?
    <Threads Merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm happy to report that Mobile Stream's USB Modem works well with the 800W. Couldn't get PDANet or WMWiFiRouter (my preference) to work.
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem_wm.html
    govtcheez,

What did you enter for the settings? Sorry, I'm a little new to this.
    phone#
    username
    password

Thanks
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    I'm happy to report that Mobile Stream's USB Modem works well with the 800W. Couldn't get PDANet or WMWiFiRouter (my preference) to work.
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem_wm.html
    Did you get it to work on a Mac or Windows?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroback View Post
    govtcheez,

phone#
    username
    password

Thanks
    Leave username and password blank, use #777 as the number.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Did you get it to work on a Mac or Windows?

Windows. I've used it for my macbook as well, but Tiger (or Leopard...or whatever the newest OSX is) doesn't allow for USB Tethering...only Bluetooth, which is slightly slower.

Go download the trial version to see if it works on your mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroback View Post
    govtcheez,

phone#
    username
    password

Thanks

NRG has it correct. Just #777 in the dial up. When you unzip, there's a full set of instructions in PDF format, which is very helpful.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Windows. I've used it for my macbook as well, but Tiger (or Leopard...or whatever the newest OSX is) doesn't allow for USB Tethering...only Bluetooth, which is slightly slower.
    I'm able to use USBModem for Palm OS (on my Treo 700p) with Leopard, using both Bluetooth and USB tethering. I don't think Leopard prevents USB tethering; it's just that they rearranged the Network Preferences around and USBModem's included instructions need some adjustment. Do you think it's a Windows Mobile problem?

At least Bluetooth with the 800w works! Thanks so much for confirming this.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts

Go download the trial version to see if it works on your mac.
    Actually USBModem supports tethering on Leopard via USB now; however, I have no clue how to get it working. I tried following the included instructions (I already download the trial version) but it doesn't seem to work. If anyone can help me with that, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you very much. You are correct about the blanks. I was using the wrong port/modem. All is working well now. Great find. And thanks for the tip! Sweet.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I'm bumping this for help on how to tether via USB on a Mac running Leopard. I have PAM so I shouldn't have to use PDANet or USBModem but I can't figure out what I need to do to get it working. I could really use it this weekend too.
    okay its really wierd. I removed the registry keys that prevent ics from working. I can connect but the websites crawl at a REALLY slow speed when using bt pan. I'm not new to this problem, ICS did the same thing on my moto q9c. Can anyone divulge any insight as to why and how this is happening?
    @ psywzrd : I don't believe you will be able to do that with USB on a mac. The reason being the protocol isn't supported by mac os x. Bluetooth should work fairly well for you. In my experience Sprint's EVDO speeds do not surpass the Bluetooth bottleneck.
    hello!!! is it only me.... but i think you also need to install sprints connection manager software to tether phone... advance troubleshooting would be through sprints tech support
    I got this working well using the "Extention2" trick. My problem is that each time I do a soft reset the registry changes back to the original value and I have to go in and edit it again.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy8813 View Post
    After reading the tutorial above, I think that nothing has to be hacked to use the 800w as a modem and still not get seen by Sprint as a modem.

In the turoail it mentions chanin the following key:

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConnection
    Change from "Phone As Modem" to "Sprint PCS"

However, in the 800w registry this value is already set to "Power Vision" which is the same connection profile the phone uses to access the internet on the handset.

Unless there is something more hidden, Spring has not done anything in ICS to force the phone to dial out through a separate profile that is phone as modem
    My Bluetooth "Toys"

Sprint Treo 700p
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT w/UConnect
    HP DeskJet 450wbt
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast