1.    #1  
    The phone comes with a default of having medium brightness. This can be adjusted in the settings to be brighter but the default is nicer on the eyes in my opinion and looks better in the light.

I noticed a few posts about the brightness being "dimmer" so I wanted to clear that up with people who may not know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    The phone comes with a default of having medium brightness. This can be adjusted in the settings to be brighter but the default is nicer on the eyes in my opinion and looks better in the light.

I noticed a few posts about the brightness being "dimmer" so I wanted to clear that up with people who may not know better.
    So the maximum brightness on the 800w is just as bright as on the 700wx?
    Please confirm.
  3.    #3  
    Yes. Just as bright.
    No. I disagree and think it is very noticeable. I compared side by side on my 700p with brightness all the way up on the 800w and the 800w is notably less bright. this is objectively clear both indoors and outside.
    they are saying that it is the same as the 700wx, not the 700p. the p was always a little better than the w/wx.

still the w/wx was good enough. if they made it any brighter it would be effecting the battery life.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    they are saying that it is the same as the 700wx, not the 700p. the p was always a little better than the w/wx.

still the w/wx was good enough. if they made it any brighter it would be effecting the battery life.
    Yep.
    Um, the definitive word is that the 800w screen at max brightness is not as bright as the 700wx screen at max brightness.

I just went into the sprint store myself to see. Seemed like a simple question. I scratch my head at the person who said the max brightness is the same across both models. It's not even close.

I'm definitely disappointed. The 800w's screen is squarely in the "just ok" territory.
    Yep the backlight isn't as bright on the 800w next to my 700wx with both set at max. The 800w looks like a display that has a glare filter over it. The white color has a blue/gray tint to it vs the 700wx's yellowish tint. I don't find it unacceptable, but I haven't had it in bright sunlight yet.

Interestingly the brightness difference isn't very noticeable when viewing the same picture on each side by side. It's mainly the differences in the white color that is noticeable.

I saw the same exact thing when I compared my 700w to my 700wx. The vzw phone seemed much brighter. Whites were noticeably different there too.
    I dunno...

I always kept my 700wx at the 2, 3 or 4 tick mark for brightness. I hate bright screens as it's like starring into a light bulb. Same with computer monitors.

The brightness on the 800w is just fine for me so far. Yes, overall it's "dimmer" but when I put it up to tick 8 I'm quite happy.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I dunno...

I always kept my 700wx at the 2, 3 or 4 tick mark for brightness. I hate bright screens as it's like starring into a light bulb. Same with computer monitors.

The brightness on the 800w is just fine for me so far. Yes, overall it's "dimmer" but when I put it up to tick 8 I'm quite happy.
    Ditto. Though I must admit keeping my computer monitor quite high.

I can live with 50%. 70-80% makes me happy.
    I think how much we use the phone while walking outdoors might be affecting our respective viewpoints on the importance of this. To me it is a very notable difference.

I just don't get the "may not know better" comment of the OP. I am very used to the 700p, but in comparing to a wx with 800w on max the relative dimness of the 800w is also pretty obvious, especially in the sunlight.

It is not a dealkiller, nor, I have decided for myself, is the really bad battery life -- but these are objective reductions in utility in upgrading to the 800w that prospective buyers should consider (along with the many substantial added benefits).