Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21  
    Does the sync cable charge at the same time.... what a novel idea!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    Does the sync cable charge at the same time.... what a novel idea!
    Yes
  3. #23  
    I must not be looking hard enough. All the USB Micro cables I have found online specifically say data cables. The cable that comes with the 800w does not appear to charge the phone (it says charging on screen, but the red indicator light does not turn on and most importantly, the phone doesn't gain any juice after a half hour on the charger.

    Can someone point me to a CONFIMRED USB micro CHARGE and sync cable? If it's for sale locally in the NYC area, that would be even better.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I must not be looking hard enough. All the USB Micro cables I have found online specifically say data cables. The cable that comes with the 800w does not appear to charge the phone (it says charging on screen, but the red indicator light does not turn on and most importantly, the phone doesn't gain any juice after a half hour on the charger.

    Can someone point me to a CONFIMRED USB micro CHARGE and sync cable? If it's for sale locally in the NYC area, that would be even better.
    are you plugging this in to a powered usb port?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    are you plugging this in to a powered usb port?
    Yes. Has anyone been able to charge via the USB cable? It even says synchronization cable in the manuals that come with the device. Let me check the online User Guide.
    I found a few auctions on eBay for Zen charging USB cables but they mention iPods in the description and Zen in the title so I'm not convinced they know what they're talking about.
  6. #26  
    Aha!

    From the UG:

    Your Treo is being charged through your computer whenever the sync cable is connected to a powered USB port on your computer. However, it takes longer to charge your device through your computer than with the AC charger that came with your Treo.

    After 30 minutes the battery level didn't go up at all. The phone may have made an automatic connection or two in that span to check email or update the weather, but I would expect to see some increase in battery life after this much time on the charger.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Aha!

    From the UG:

    Your Treo is being charged through your computer whenever the sync cable is connected to a powered USB port on your computer. However, it takes longer to charge your device through your computer than with the AC charger that came with your Treo.

    After 30 minutes the battery level didn't go up at all. The phone may have made an automatic connection or two in that span to check email or update the weather, but I would expect to see some increase in battery life after this much time on the charger.
    yeah, charging from the usb port on the comp is definitely a lot slower, but I'm surprised that you didn't see the battery level go up at all after 30 minutes.
  8. #28  
    i charged my treo for the first time using the synch chord, trickle charges are usually better than speed charges for the overall life of the battery.

    now i leave my wall charger at work (not allowed to connect to the pc), car charger in car, and synch chord at home.

    thankfully the battery is just good enough to get from desk to car and car to computer without dieing
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    i charged my treo for the first time using the synch chord, trickle charges are usually better than speed charges for the overall life of the battery.
    now i leave my wall charger at work (not allowed to connect to the pc), car charger in car, and synch chord at home.
    thankfully the battery is just good enough to get from desk to car and car to computer without dieing
    How long does it take to go from, say 50% to full using the USB cord?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    yeah, charging from the usb port on the comp is definitely a lot slower, but I'm surprised that you didn't see the battery level go up at all after 30 minutes.
    Does the LED turn red when you plug it in?
  11. #31  
    I haven't tried the cable that Palm included. I just bought a Jabra BT8040 headset which also uses MicroUSB and had the cable handy, so I used that today. I'll check when later on the cable that Palm included.
  12. #32  
    but yes, the red led is on when plugged in.
  13. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #33  
    I have definitely charged mine via the USB cable.
  14. #34  
    yes the light turns red, and probably a couple hours, i didnt time it. but either way this thing seems to charge way faster than my 700, prolly cuz the battery is so much smaller
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    yes the light turns red, and probably a couple hours, i didnt time it. but either way this thing seems to charge way faster than my 700, prolly cuz the battery is so much smaller
    Are you using the cable that came with the Treo or another micro USB cable? I just tried on 2 Treos and the LED does not light up. Do you have ActiveSync installed? I don't.
  16. #36  
    I do have ActiveSync installed, not sure if that is what makes the difference.
  17. tli415's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Are you using the cable that came with the Treo or another micro USB cable? I just tried on 2 Treos and the LED does not light up. Do you have ActiveSync installed? I don't.
    I have this problem, do a soft reset and plug in the sync cable, see if that causes the light to turn on.

    My phone will not charge by sync cable until I do a soft reset before plugging it in.

    It will only say charging, but it won't actually charge unless the light is on. Sounds like a driver issue to me.
  18. #38  
    i am using the supplied cable and yes i have activesync installed. it charged from even a wimpy little everex cloudbook
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    I have this problem, do a soft reset and plug in the sync cable, see if that causes the light to turn on.
    My phone will not charge by sync cable until I do a soft reset before plugging it in.
    It will only say charging, but it won't actually charge unless the light is on. Sounds like a driver issue to me.
    Quite a significant driver issue...
    I'm trying a few things but it's generally hit and miss. I was able to get the LED to light up green (battery was already charged) using the USB cable a few times but not consistently.
  20. #40  
    OK to explain. computer usb ports are limited to 500 to max 600 milliamps. most externally powered usb hubs have the same rating and limit.

    There are devices using standard usb, mciro, and especially mini b as charge ports with chargers that can deliver 1200milliams (1.2 amps).

    Using drivers or non standard wiring within the mini or micro b head the device can know whether it is hooked to its more powerful charger or if the mini or micro is to standard it knows it is on pc. This effects charging.

    In fact users of 2.5 external hard drives that are powered exclusively by usb know that some laptops give slightly less than the 500 ma standard and wont power their externals (you can solve this by splicing to usb a heads to a mini b and get 1 amp).

    I can confirm that at least me 800w will charge slowly but will charge fully overnight over mini b with no drivers. it charges over usb with no drivers on a pc and with no drivers on a mac and also with no drivers (obviously) by simply hooking a micro usb to a powered hub that is not connected to a pc.

    What you are seeing is what users of other devices (game devices, navigation devices) have seen for some time. pc charging can be very slow -- especially if the device is on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions