1.    #1  
    Someone please sell me on the 800w.

Does it have a better web browser than the Centro? 320x320 means I won't be able to get any more of the web page on the screen.

Is the email program better than Chattermail? Chatter works great with Gmail's IMAP. What does the 800w add?

Does WM have a better podcast player than Kinoma? I read that Kinoma might be making a version for WM but what will it add that isn't already in the Palm version?

If I have EVDO, why would I care bout wifi?

What about GPS? I can use Tomtom on the Centro with the receiver that I leave in my car.

How is a battery the size of the one in the Centro going to last all day with GPS and wifi? It barely lasts an entire day without those things.

Why would I upgrade from the Centro to the 800w? I'm completely ignorant and want to be exited about this new phone but would need a really compelling reason to start a new two year contract.
    - debatable whether the builtin Pocket-IE browser is better than the Centro's web browser but the nice thing about the 800w is that you can install any of the other available browsers for WM, some of which are arguably as good if not better than the iPhone's browser (and obviously way better than the Centro's browser)

- if you're not going to use Exchange, you're probably better off with Chattermail

- if you don't see a use for wifi with your current usage, then you probably don't need it. some of us like it for when we travel and there is no EVDO; wifi is also handy for programs like WMWifiRouter

- the 800w's builtin gps means just one less thing to carry around. if your car is the only place you use gps, then the 800w's builtin gps probably isn't much use to you. I routinely use the builtin gps in my current phone to find restaurants and stores whenever I'm traveling and in a location I'm not familiar with.

- since the people who currently have the 800w have only had it for a few hours, you're going to have to wait for an answer on battery life

Aside from the things you brought up, the big difference is obviously going to be WM vs POS. If the POS is meeting your needs right now, then there probably isn't a reason to upgrade. For others, POS just won't cut it and we need a more powerful/multitasking OS like WM. POS may be old but for the somewhat limited things it does, it does most of them rather well. So again, if its doing what you need it to do, I can't imagine WM doing a better job for you. In your case, I would only pick up a 800w if you feel that POS isn't meeting your needs and WM/800w will bring you some significant additional functionality that you will find useful. And from the questions you've asked, it sounds like the Centro is doing well for you so probably no compelling reason for you to switch.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 07/10/2008 at 09:50 PM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the detailed response. I would love to switch to a new exciting phone. I like the reasons that you pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I read that Kinoma might be making a version for WM but what will it add that isn't already in the Palm version?
    We haven't shared details about our new product, but it's not a port of Kinoma Player 4 EX. You should still find it interesting if you like Kinoma Player, though.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    - debatable whether the builtin Pocket-IE browser is better than the Centro's web browser but the nice thing about the 800w is that you can install any of the other available browsers for WM, some of which are arguably as good if not better than the iPhone's browser (and obviously way better than the Centro's browser)
    Wow this is news to me. What windows mobile browsers are as good or better than iPhone's Safari browser? Unless a lot has changed in the past few months I think this is a gross exaggeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post
    Wow this is news to me. What windows mobile browsers are as good or better than iPhone's Safari browser? Unless a lot has changed in the past few months I think this is a gross exaggeration.
    Very gross exaggeration. Marty won't be back with any examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Opera Mobile 9.5

Skyfire

Both come to mind...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Is/does Opera Mobile work with the 800w? I would get this phone in a heart beat if slingplayer and opera mobile work well with this phone...
    BTW did you get your phone yet Malatesta? Whats your verdict?

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifsfan View Post
    Is/does Opera Mobile work with the 800w? I would get this phone in a heart beat if slingplayer and opera mobile work well with this phone...
    BTW did you get your phone yet Malatesta? Whats your verdict?

Thanks,
    Opera Mobile is still in Beta form, so it's a bit funky on the 800w. It works but some of the dpad isn't up to par yet.

Slingplayer is still up in the air. I imagine there will be a fix in 30 days or so.

No, haven't received mine yet UPS is "still out for delivery".

On Long Island, this leaves me thinking they will do a "fake attempt" i.e. say they tried but I was not home to sign for it even though..dun dun dun...it doesn't require a signature and there won't be a door tag.

Edit: BTW, here is a

Yes, SlingMedia has been somewhat good about keeping up with WM, so a player supported on WM6.1 with 320x320 screen should be available soon.

Of course, SlingMedia hasn't come up with a PalmOS version yet, but I believe there are "Talks" about it. Also, if you use GPS navigation, there aren't any (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $GPS$ $apps$ $with$ $turn$ $by$ $turn$ $Voice$ $prompt$, $available$ $for$ $PalmOS$.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Well that was really uncalled for. Not going to get into a iPhone vs WM argument here. The iPhone browser is certainly very nice but there are certainly comparable ones available for WM IMO. Opera Mini, Opera 9.5, and Skyfire come to mind. Each certainly has its strong and weak point when compared to the iPhone's browser so perhaps you don't agree with my assessment and that's fine, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I. However, again, no need to respond in the way you did, that was really uncalled for.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Of course, SlingMedia hasn't come up with a PalmOS version yet, but I believe there are "Talks" about it.
    lol

They came out with an official version just over a year ago! In fact it looks better than the WM version, graphic wise.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Yes, SlingMedia has been somewhat good about keeping up with WM, so a player supported on WM6.1 with 320x320 screen should be available soon.

Of course, SlingMedia hasn't come up with a PalmOS version yet, but I believe there are "Talks" about it. Also, if you use GPS navigation, there aren't any (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $GPS$ $apps$ $with$ $turn$ $by$ $turn$ $Voice$ $prompt$, $available$ $for$ $PalmOS$.

tomtom and garmin both work fine on pos
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Someone please sell me on the 800w.

Does it have a better web browser than the Centro? 320x320 means I won't be able to get any more of the web page on the screen.

Is the email program better than Chattermail? Chatter works great with Gmail's IMAP. What does the 800w add?

Does WM have a better podcast player than Kinoma? I read that Kinoma might be making a version for WM but what will it add that isn't already in the Palm version?

If I have EVDO, why would I care bout wifi?

What about GPS? I can use Tomtom on the Centro with the receiver that I leave in my car.

How is a battery the size of the one in the Centro going to last all day with GPS and wifi? It barely lasts an entire day without those things.

Why would I upgrade from the Centro to the 800w? I'm completely ignorant and want to be exited about this new phone but would need a really compelling reason to start a new two year contract.
    If you have to ask than it doesnt make sense.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    TomTom. I use it every day.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!