Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got the phone and so far not too impressed. This is the 1st WM phone
    I've used, so I may be biased towards the Palm OS. But then again, I love
    the iPhone UI.

Issues:

- Voice quality sounds garbled, both on ear and mouth piece. It is not
    cutting in/out. Its just garbled. may want to try another one tomorrow.

- When using the Option + Hot buttons, you need to hold both buttons
    simultaneously to get to the alternate application. On the 755, I would press
    the option button and then the App Button and would get the alt application.

- The touchscreen does not seem very responsive. Need to hit the icon
    several times to initiate application.

- Battery Sucks! Only lasts 6-8 hrs on a charge, with maybe 20mins talk.

Still playing with it.
    Last edited by Treo8669; 07/11/2008 at 11:31 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Improving Font:

- Goto the Settings->System->Screen
    - Select Clear Type and Enable

This improves the text font, looks alot better.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I also have some dislikes, and if I can't get them resolved I don't know if I'm going to keep this device. Here's my list, and hopefully someone can help us fix our issues.

Issues:

-Voice Command doesn't work over BT. The voice dial button on my headset will start voice command, but the program doesn't send or receive commands over the headset.

-Messaging. I don't like the two seperate messaging apps. WM6.1 has threaded SMS built in to the MS Messaging program. I'd love to be able to disable the Palm SMS program and get both my email and SMS in one app again. I also don't like the two seperate plug-ins for messaging. It'd be nice to get email and SMS on one plug-in

-Minor incompatabilities with programs. More specifically, Fizz Weather. The plug-in cuts off the last little bit of info. This also goes for the HTC Home Screen. Parts of it get cut off.

Those are really my only complaints, aside from the ones you posted Treo8669.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
  4.    #4  
    Google Maps does not seem to work. I downloaded version 2.1.0.10,
    installed OK. But when I invoke, the map does not load and get
    connectError[183] and directs me to google.com/gmm/configure. Can't
    find anything there to help resolve problem. Internet connection is active
    and I can navigate sites.
    800w next to 700wx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
    I also have some dislikes, and if I can't get them resolved I don't know if I'm going to keep this device. Here's my list, and hopefully someone can help us fix our issues.

Issues:

-Voice Command doesn't work over BT. The voice dial button on my headset will start voice command, but the program doesn't send or receive commands over the headset.

-Messaging. I don't like the two seperate messaging apps. WM6.1 has threaded SMS built in to the MS Messaging program. I'd love to be able to disable the Palm SMS program and get both my email and SMS in one app again. I also don't like the two seperate plug-ins for messaging. It'd be nice to get email and SMS on one plug-in

-Minor incompatabilities with programs. More specifically, Fizz Weather. The plug-in cuts off the last little bit of info. This also goes for the HTC Home Screen. Parts of it get cut off.

Those are really my only complaints, aside from the ones you posted Treo8669.
    That is exact problem the 700wx has...I can't believe Palm still hasn't bothered to make their BT and Voice Command work with a headset...
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    That is exact problem the 700wx has...I can't believe Palm still hasn't bothered to make their BT and Voice Command work with a headset...
    Lol the 700wx....hell it's been like that since the 650. I don't know what's going on with them and BT headset dialing. It seems that the 750 (as far as I can remember) is the only Treo at all that has bluetooth voice dialing. Otherwise, it doesn't look like Palm has even lifted a finger to try and fix/enable BT voice dialing. I'll admit it's not something I use often, but it just bothers me a lot when I see that Palm still hasn't fixed something that's never been a problem is other phones.
    Yikes. Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry to hear the 800w doesn't sound like a winner. Unless I hear overwhelmingly otherwise, I'm going to take a pass on this one and hold out for the Touch Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    That's not true at all. I used voice command all the time on my treo via my bluetooth headset and never had any issues. In fact I used to have a commute that was over an hour and a half one way so I was constantly using it when calling into meetings. It worked great for me.

I haven't tried the 800w yet but I'm hoping it's just user error or a bad device since it worked on the 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    800w next to 700wx

Interesting that in your picture the 700 shows 1 bar of service and the 800 appears to have at least 3 bars. Did they do this to make people feel good or is the radio actually better with recption.

I can only hope the reception is better as my 700WX is poor.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    That's not true at all. I used voice command all the time on my treo via my bluetooth headset and never had any issues. In fact I used to have a commute that was over an hour and a half one way so I was constantly using it when calling into meetings. It worked great for me.

I haven't tried the 800w yet but I'm hoping it's just user error or a bad device since it worked on the 700wx
    So, you're saying that, for example, the Treo is in your pocket and you press the button on your bluetooth headset. You hear the Voice Command beep in your headset indicating that it's waiting for a command from you. You then speak your command into the headset and the phone responds?

I've never been able to make that happen with any Treo. Sure enough, I can press the side button on the Treo and speak into the Treo's mic to make a voice command. For example, if I want to make a call, I can say "Call Jim Smith on mobile", but I have to say it into the Treo's microphone, not my headset's mic. Of course, once the call is initiated, the bluetooth headset works as it should and I can talk to my party via the headset. But actually getting the headset to initiate the call without ever having to touch or even look at the Treo doesn't work via bluetooth.

This is what people are complaining about. While driving, we shouldn't have to touch the Treo. It could be in a bag in the back seat and we should still be able to make a call via our bluetooth headsets. To my knowledge, Palm has never fixed this. If you've been doing that with a Treo 700wx and the software/firmware that came with the phone, I'd like to know how. If you've added software or are using a different bluetooth stack or version of Voice Command, please let us know.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    So, you're saying that, for example, the Treo is in your pocket and you press the button on your bluetooth headset. You hear the Voice Command beep in your headset indicating that it's waiting for a command from you. You then speak your command into the headset and the phone responds?

This is what people are complaining about. While driving, we shouldn't have to touch the Treo. It could be in a bag in the back seat and we should still be able to make a call via our bluetooth headsets. To my knowledge, Palm has never fixed this. If you've been doing that with a Treo 700wx and the software/firmware that came with the phone, I'd like to know how. If you've added software or are using a different bluetooth stack or version of Voice Command, please let us know.
    I've always used hands-free dialing witih my Treo 700wx, both with the default Windows Mobile software and the 6.1 ROM I recently installed.

I drive an '07 Dodge Nitro with a UConnect Hands Free integrated module. I press the UConnect button on my car's center console and I hear a voice prompt state, "UConnect, Ready" and then my own voice identifying the phone, "700wx", followed by a beep. At the beep, I can voice dial by name, number, or speed dial. The Treo 700wx then dials without me ever touching it. If, for any reason I have bluetooth turned off, when I click the UConnect button I hear, "UConnect, Ready" but no voice identifying the phone. When I hear this, I remember to re-enable bluetooth on my phone.

Works great!

With my original factory 700wx software, the stereo screen and dashboard screens would only show basic info like "Dialing", "Incoming Call" or the number "(702) 555-1212". Once I upgraded my phone to 6.1, UConnect now displays information like the remaining battery life of my phone, the current antenna signal quality, and full contact name and caller id info. Big improvement! It also prints, "Disconnected" if the phone ever loses signal. This was a very welcome surprise.

On another note, I can't recommend the UConnect module enough. It was a very worthwhile upgrade.
    Where's the Sprint Music store? Its available on the Touch and Mogul.
    Quote Originally Posted by instill View Post
    I've always used hands-free dialing witih my Treo 700wx, both with the default Windows Mobile software and the 6.1 ROM I recently installed.

I drive an '07 Dodge Nitro with a UConnect Hands Free integrated module. I press the UConnect button on my car's center console and I hear a voice prompt state, "UConnect, Ready" and then my own voice identifying the phone, "700wx", followed by a beep. At the beep, I can voice dial by name, number, or speed dial. The Treo 700wx then dials without me ever touching it. If, for any reason I have bluetooth turned off, when I click the UConnect button I hear, "UConnect, Ready" but no voice identifying the phone. When I hear this, I remember to re-enable bluetooth on my phone.

Works great!

With my original factory 700wx software, the stereo screen and dashboard screens would only show basic info like "Dialing", "Incoming Call" or the number "(702) 555-1212". Once I upgraded my phone to 6.1, UConnect now displays information like the remaining battery life of my phone, the current antenna signal quality, and full contact name and caller id info. Big improvement! It also prints, "Disconnected" if the phone ever loses signal. This was a very welcome surprise.

On another note, I can't recommend the UConnect module enough. It was a very worthwhile upgrade.
    I have UConnect in my Dodge Charger. It works as you've stated, but that's not what I was asking. I'm talking about using bluetooth headsets (not car kits) and getting Microsoft's Voice Command software to respond without having to touch the Treo. I've tried multiple headsets and have never been able to get Microsoft's Voice Command to respond or activate via bluetooth.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    To answer the poster above. Neither the Treo 700wx or 800wx works with Voice Command through a Bluetooth headset. They will both work with a Bluetooth car system though. They are two seperate things. Most people like myself are more interested in getting voice command to work through a bluetooth headset and not a car system. At least with the 800w I can initiate the voice command feature through the headset and the microphone icon shows on the screen but no sound and it will not accept any command through the headset. I agree, that without this feature I will be giving my 800w back to Sprint.

My Likes and Dislikes:

Size
    Better keyboard
    WiFi
    WM 6.1
    Palm customizations
    Better screen resolution

Dislikes

Not compatible with most of my software
    Bluetooth still is not nearly as good as my HTC Touch where VC works flawlessly.
    Appauling battery life. I am sure that Seidio will come out with some battery upgrades but right now I am only getting about 2 hours on a charge.
    Were the Palm engineers on drugs when they designed the flimsy plastic stylus? It is by far the worst stylus I have ever used on any PDA device.
    No Reset hole! How can Palm go from having a reset hole under the battery cover to not having one at all. You have to remove the battery to reset the device, and the battery cover is almost impossible to get off. I don't understand these PALM engineers.
    Screen not as bright as the 700wx
    Speaker is not as loud as 700wx
    Seperate Palm Text Messaging app (just use the MS one!)
    Still have to click on the Bluetooth icon with a stylus to turn on Bluetooth. You can go through MyTreo in Programs but it gets old after a while. Come on Palm!
    Micro USB, Even though PALM has eliminated the hated Palm adapters they could have chosen mini usb which most people have. Now we have to go out and buy all new adapters for this phone. This makes me angry.

My main gripes and reason that I might not keep this phone is:

1. Poor Bluetooth even though it is 2.0. I must have voice command working!
    2. Terrible battery life! This should be fixed down the road with some extended batteries.
    3. No reset hole or option through the keyboard. Must remove the battery every time. Trust me, you will have to do a soft reset several times per day with this phone because the software problems will cause it to lock up and need to be reset.
    4. Micro USB adapter

I will use my 800w for one week and then decide whether to go back to my HTC Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    yes that works completely fine on my treo. I used a Sony headset and I'd press the button, say who I wanted to call via voice commands and it dialed. It also worked with a motorla headset I have. I didn't install any custom apps to do this. In fact I wasn't even on the latest version of firmware. It also worked when I installed wm 6.1 though I could no longer receive text messages.
    re: the rest hole

this is the same as the centro and it's been working just fine--I rarely need to physically reset my 700wx
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    yes that works completely fine on my treo. I used a Sony headset and I'd press the button, say who I wanted to call via voice commands and it dialed. It also worked with a motorla headset I have. I didn't install any custom apps to do this. In fact I wasn't even on the latest version of firmware. It also worked when I installed wm 6.1 though I could no longer receive text messages.
    So you're saying when you give your Treo voice commands, when it confirms it back to you, you can hear it in the headset? I can use VC with my 700wx as well but only because the mic on the 700wx can hear me...not from the headset...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

That is interesting, I have tried this on my old 700wx with two different headsets, the jawbone being the last and that feature is definitely not working with my wm5 rom. And it is not working on the new 800w either. I wonder if the type of headset you are using is the difference. What is the model of sony unit you are using?
    As far as the google maps thing goes I have it working just fine with GPS and everything and did nothing special to get it that way. I just went and downloaded it starting from m.google.com
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast