Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Search is your friend

Todd/Indy
    I am sure that Seidio will probably come out with a standard size battery replacement that fits with the same door. They usually do. It will probably be around 1500 or 1600 mAH as compared with the current 1150 mAH. They will offer the 2600 mAH as well since they already have it available for the Centro.
    Dont' get me wrong. I have been a PALM user since the beginning but I wonder why they are even paying these engineers. I don't have an engineering degree but I could have definately designed this phone better.

No Reset Hole
    Bad Battery Door
    Can't use corded headset and charge your phone at the same time. (My wife pointed this out to me because she doesn't use bluetooth and she travels alot. Her 800w needed to be recharged and she realized there was no adapter to let her still talk on her phone and charge it at the same time. That is ridiculous.
    Terribly cheap and unusable stylus. I know most functions can be done one handed but there is still alot of WM functions that require a stylus.
    Not a very bright screen
    Very poor Bluetooth integration once again.
    Poor call quality (worse than 700wx)

Come on PALM! This was your one last chance to be a player in the WM game and I think you just lost!

I am returning mine and going back to my Touch until something better comes out. I might even have to consider a Blackberry (yuk!) My wife will probably return hers and keep her very used 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    Dont' get me wrong. I have been a PALM user since the beginning but I wonder why they are even paying these engineers. I don't have an engineering degree but I could have definately designed this phone better.

No Reset Hole
    Bad Battery Door
    Can't use corded headset and charge your phone at the same time. (My wife pointed this out to me because she doesn't use bluetooth and she travels alot. Her 800w needed to be recharged and she realized there was no adapter to let her still talk on her phone and charge it at the same time. That is ridiculous.
    Terribly cheap and unusable stylus. I know most functions can be done one handed but there is still alot of WM functions that require a stylus.
    Not a very bright screen

Come on PALM! This was your one last chance to be a player in the WM game and I think you just lost!

I am returning mine and going back to my Touch until something better comes out. I might even have to consider a Blackberry (yuk!) My wife will probably return hers and keep her very used 700wx.
    I have to disagree on many of these...
    • Reset hole: having to reset a lot is sooo WM5. Didn't miss it on the Centro, don't miss on it here. How often do you need to reset/what are you doing to your phone?
    • Battery door is very well designed. I'd rather have it tight and flush than the one on the 700wx
    • I use my stylus everyday and a lot--how is "not usable"? Are you just allergic to plastic? It's plastic to reduce interference and weight on the device--I happen to like it.
    • Palm adapter for headphones & charging
    • BT has worked with all my device so far (5 headsets; 2 A2DP), which ones are failing you?
    • Call quality seems fine to me; not great, not bad
    • Screen is also bright enough for everyday use

My point is not to convince you are wrong, but rather these are subjective criticisms--many of which I prefer.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have to disagree on many of these...
    • Reset hole: having to reset a lot is sooo WM5. Didn't miss it on the Centro, don't miss on it here. How often do you need to reset/what are you doing to your phone?
    • Battery door is very well designed. I'd rather have it tight and flush than the one on the 700wx
    • I use my stylus everyday and a lot--how is "not usable"? Are you just allergic to plastic? It's plastic to reduce interference and weight on the device--I happen to like it.
    • Palm adapter for headphones & charging
    • BT has worked with all my device so far (5 headsets; 2 A2DP), which ones are failing you?
    • Call quality seems fine to me; not great, not bad
    • Screen is also bright enough for everyday use

My point is not to convince you are wrong, but rather these are subjective criticisms--many of which I prefer.
    - Plastic stylus is fine for me in principle, but this one is too flexible, needs to be a lot stiffer.

- nxZen 6000 BT headset works great on Touch and Razr2; works but is mediocre on 800w.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Don't complain about the lack of a reset hole. Palm received many complaints from users that they were using that feature too much. Removing the button is expected to reduce its use.
    That's quite funny! Yes, I would expect that removing the reset hole would reduce the use of the (now missing) reset hole to exactly zero! So now, when I need to do a soft reset to make a registry change effective, I get to force the stiff battery door open and pop the battery. Very 21st century!
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    re: IR port being a waste of space...

Dieter and I thought the same thing on the podcast...

Got some feedback from users & evidently a lot of the reality companies still need it for lock boxes. A lot of people prefer it to bt since it uses less power and can be more reliable.

Basically this is a power-user vs real business user difference and Palm caters to the latter for obvious reasons.
    Another use for IR is to connect to a keyboard while on a jetliner.
    Bluetooth isn't allowed there (not that really stops anyone, I'm sure, but it's in violation of FAA regs).

-Rusty
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post

No Reset Hole
    Bad Battery Door
    Not a very bright screen

Right on the money with all of those. You can also add no voice dial over BT, busted GPS and no LED flashlight (a very minor quibble).
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    1) Micro USB? Why, since no decent accessories were released with the phone? Sure they can't think the in-box headphones would suffice...at least provide a 3.5mm adapter for us to buy...
    2) The LED doesn't blink to let you know you have signal or message. (Or is mine busted?!;-)
    3) No reset button, which is amazing considering how many times a day I have to reset it...about 3, I'd say. They need better testers (or programmers) at Palm, ....my 650 was also a crasher.
    4) Why are email and text separate programs now? That's just stupid and makes you waste a button assignment.
    5) Could use a side scroll wheel...maybe I was spoiled by my Cingular 8525.
    6) No "sound off" setting, when adjusting the volume...WTF?!?! I know there's vibrate, but if I'm in a meeting, I don't want it to vibrate, and shouldn't have to reconfigure the settings every time....
    7) Internet sharing via Bluetooth is BUSTED...just keeps dialing #777....
    8) No video messaging....could NOT believe this when I first realized :-/...you can receive via the web service, but it's just not the same as it being instantaneous...plus you can't send (without getting 3rd party software)
    9) What's up with the piece of crap stylus? They couldn't spare the extra 50 cents worth of metal??
    10) The screen looks nice and all...but the increase resolution creates many incompatibilities with software...for example, i can't see the top 3 rows in Scrabble. It's not worth the extra resolution.

That's about it...I do like the phone overall though...Palm has the best form-factor of any phone out there in my opinion.
    Last edited by raheenb; 07/20/2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: clarification
    I have yet had my 800W reset. It of course does so in conjunction with the backup; however, otherwise it has been exceeding solid. I used it today heavily with HanDBase, the built-in mail program and Excel. I agree on your other points.
    Quote Originally Posted by raheenb View Post
    3) No reset button, which is amazing considering how many times a day I have to reset it...about 3, I'd say. They need better testers (or programmers) at Palm, ....my 650 was also a crasher.
    You are doing something very wrong if you "have to" reset 3 times a day.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It may be closer to 2 times a day...I was venting, lol. Still even needing to reset once a day with heavy use is too much. I'm thinking it could be because it doesn't seem to actually close programs when you hit the X button...just puts it in the background, until you force quit them via the task manager.

I dunno....most of my crashes seem to happen when I check email, though....the screen will just go dark and not come back on again, so I have to reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by raheenb View Post
    It may be closer to 2 times a day...I was venting, lol. Still even needing to reset once a day with heavy use is too much. I'm thinking it could be because it doesn't seem to actually close programs when you hit the X button...just puts it in the background, until you force quit them via the task manager.

I dunno....most of my crashes seem to happen when I check email, though....the screen will just go dark and not come back on again, so I have to reset.
    even still, I can weeks without a soft reset (in fact, I only have to do it if a software I just installed requests it)

WM6 automatically will close apps when a threshold is reached in memory, so you'll never "run out".

If you don't want to manually close apps then getting something like Oxios (freeware) which will "free up RAM" and/or "close all opened apps" with a simple click.

But all of these issues aren't really "Palm's fault" as just how all WM operates.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Right on the money with all of those. You can also add no voice dial over BT, busted GPS and no LED flashlight (a very minor quibble).
    No Voice Dial over BT? I use a Motorola S9 and did it once, but it's hard to press the little button. It probably depends on the headset you use.

GPS works fine. I use Live Search, Google Maps, Garmin, and TomTom (with GpsGate). It's network assisted GPS, so don't expect to be out in the Amazon rainforest using your GPS.

The LED flashlight thing. I'm not sure what you mean. I used my 800w to light my path in my dark room. I just make sure it's on.
    What's a stylus and why would anyone use one? I have used a stylus/styli in years.

I won't mention any problems as I've already expressed them in many threads.

I have an issue with making vidoes. I have it on full screen mode but it only shows the videos in a smaller area. Doesn't take up the full screen. I sent a video to my friends Instinct and he could view at full screen. Why can't I on the 800?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    battery sucks. cheap stylus. otherwise sweet phone
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    what I meant about the LED flashing was that on every other phone i've had, the light on th phone would flash green when the phone had power and signal. It would flash would flash orange if there was a text, voicemail, or alarm, and maybe red if low on power. I miss not having to get up and check the today screen to see if I had a message....plus it helps u find the phone in the dark.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567