Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    There's really only one solution: make a bigger battery and make the device bulkier.

Motorola knew that which is why they shipped with the "extended" battery to get adequate power.

The result: large hump on the back, which makes the Q9 not so thin. Throw in CDMA is worse than GSM for power...

Not sure what else to say/can be done.
    I've had a half dozen handsets that have two size batteries, and one -- one of sprint's first cdma handsets (a qualcomm) -- where a second battery was provided free by Sprint when enough buyers complained.

What else can be done? Simple: provide a second battery. It is a $600 retail device. As noted the Instinct got this (probably also after beta).
    Last edited by aero; 07/12/2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    The wifi signal reception is pretty weak to me, but I've only had it a few days. What is everyone else's opinion on the wifi reception?
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by kessomatt View Post
    How is the camera performance on this phone? At least the quality of the 650/700/755p?
    Id like to know this as well. How are the pictures
    How does the battery compare to the Mogul/Tilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I've had a half dozen handsets that have two size batteries, and one -- one of sprint's first cdma handsets (a qualcomm) -- where a second battery was provided free by Sprint when enough buyers complained.

What else can be done? Simple: provide a second battery. It is a $600 retail device. As noted the Instinct got this (probably also after beta).
    And that might do that...after all Samsung decided to give you a second battery later on for one of their WM devices.

But lets be honest, a lot of people will find that pretty annoying as well and it won't satisfy a lot.

There is just not a lot of solutions here, unfortunately.

Personally? I ignore most of the forums "battery reports" because in all the years I've been doing this, there is no smartphone device (3g) that got great reviews on battery life....especially WM. They're all terrible according to the forums, yet IRL for myself they have been fine (even the Moto Q).

People just need to try the device for 30 days and decide.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Personally? I ignore most of the forums "battery reports" because in all the years I've been doing this, there is no smartphone device (3g) that got great reviews on battery life....especially WM. .
    I just think it is poor engineering for a company with so much experience -- and in the 800w not any serious change in form factor -- to end up with such bad battery life. And I do feel that even in the smartphone category this is pretty much the worst.

I think you have poor engineering planning with the under capacity battery, which once it was past the point of no return, at least should have triggered a second battery. The relative cost ratio of spare battery to phone, given retail is at $600, the absolute lowest as well compared to other phones.

You can bet the issue of it came up. Sprint and palm could have split the difference. really just a couple of bucks for a spare battery at their purchasing power.

Is a second battery less than convenient? sure. but my wife always kept her spare in her handbag with her samsung i330 (a nifty phone) and I kept mine in my briefcase.

Consider that the longer lasting instinct ships with a second battery it is something done under current sprint policy
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I just think it is poor engineering for a company with so much experience -- and in the 800w not any serious change in form factor -- to end up with such bad battery life. And I do feel that even in the smartphone category this is pretty much the worst.

I think you have poor engineering planning with the under capacity battery, which once it was past the point of no return, at least should have triggered a second battery. The relative cost ratio of spare battery to phone, given retail is at $600, the absolute lowest as well compared to other phones.

You can bet the issue of it came up. Sprint and palm could have split the difference. really just a couple of bucks for a spare battery at their purchasing power.

Is a second battery less than convenient? sure. but my wife always kept her spare in her handbag with her samsung i330 (a nifty phone) and I kept mine in my briefcase.

Consider that the longer lasting instinct ships with a second battery it is something done under current sprint policy
    All I have to say is...

Maybe.

I dunno, my 800w will show up Monday and I'll decide for myself.

I've heard from users in both camps already: it's fine and it's terrible. So I just shrug right now. Everyone has 30 days and even the iPhone 3g took a serious hit on battery life.

It's just a general problem industry wise until something better pops up for battery life. Engineering for Palm is limited here since they don't own the OS and have to use what is on the market.

I'm not defending it, just accepting the reality now. Any serious smartphone (3g, wifi, gps, BT, a2dp, high res screen, touch screen) has mediocre battery life.

I've been using WM for years now. WM2003 devices if they ran out of battery power? Instant hard reset--you lost everything. Having a USB charger handy? This is easy for me, lol.

I'll get an extended battery. The form factor FEELS much smaller and lighter than the specs would have you believe, and it'll take a hit with the ext battery. There's too much to like here to not at least take a look.

An extra battery + combo battery/phone charger will set me back $20 on eBay. I'll probably get one set for home and one set for work at that rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'll get an extended battery. The form factor FEELS much smaller and lighter than the specs would have you believe, and it'll take a hit with the ext battery. There's too much to like here to not at least take a look.

An extra battery + combo battery/phone charger will set me back $20 on eBay. I'll probably get one set for home and one set for work at that rate.
    Seidio plans to release 2600 mah extended battery for Treo 800W 2-3 week from now.
    Good news. Will it fit in the same space or will it need a hump back?
    Took my new 800w off the charger @ 2 pm yesterday after first full charge. Running ActiveSync on a hosted (4SmartPhone) account w/no delivery restrictions. Bluetooth off. Beam receive off. WiFi on only to connect/test home network for ~5min, then turned off. Zero 3rd-party apps installed. Since then, have sent/received 24 texts; 11 emails; 3 pic mails; 14 min call time; ~20 min web browsing; ~10 on misc GPS searches.

12.5 hr later, showing 41% battery. Still early on, but I can live with this.

#1 gripe so far is the poor voice quality.
    sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio plans to release 2600 mah extended battery for Treo 800W 2-3 week from now.
    Ok does this new battery require a new door. an answer to this question would be terriffic, but you never answered the same question for the centro when it was asked many times (And the answer as we founf out was a new door). Ofcourse it it makes that ugly bump on he back of the 800W its a no go for me.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    No Reset hole! How can Palm go from having a reset hole under the battery cover to not having one at all. You have to remove the battery to reset the device, and the battery cover is almost impossible to get off. I don't understand these PALM engineers.
    I will use my 800w for one week and then decide whether to go back to my HTC Touch.
    Try spbMobileShell. It has a soft reset app.
  15. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Ok does this new battery require a new door. an answer to this question would be terriffic, but you never answered the same question for the centro when it was asked many times (And the answer as we founf out was a new door). Ofcourse it it makes that ugly bump on he back of the 800W its a no go for me.
    It probably will. It's just an issue with the form factor being so small. I've been using my 700 with the extended battery and hump and don't notice it at all.

I'm glad they're coming out with the battery so fast myself, a little extra size to keep your phone working all day is a tradeoff I'll take.
    Thanks Seidio for the quick response. Will the extended battery be the same as Seidio's Centro extended battery? They have the same connectors so I would assume the only difference would be the battery door.
    I fugured it would be with the extra hump but they never answer the question we (forum members) asked forever with the centro ( I even called and emailed them and never an answer. they know that a majority of user dont want that ugly hump on there phone guess they figure if they dont say anything no one will notice it LOL. just kidding) . Just a little irratating that they refuse to answer that question.

it all personal preference . some folks dont mind but I would rather get an extra battery than have that ugly lump on the back of my phone. thinness of the phone is a major point for me . Why i got rid of my 700P for a centro. Ofcourse if the hump wasnt as huge as the hump on the Centro or 700P maybe it would be ok. I had it for the 700P and never used it. went back to 2 batterys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    It probably will. It's just an issue with the form factor being so small. I've been using my 700 with the extended battery and hump and don't notice it at all.

I'm glad they're coming out with the battery so fast myself, a little extra size to keep your phone working all day is a tradeoff I'll take.
    Yeah, it'll be just the Centro battery that exists + new door. It'll have a hump which will matter for some, not for others.

Either way, options are good.

Personally, I'd be find with less bump and a smaller battery (~1600mah).

Also, the Centro/800w standard batteries are mad think and small--carrying around an extra is not really an issue, imo.

This is Seidio's Palm Centro 2600mah battery w/door:

19. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Also, the Centro/800w standard batteries are mad think and small--carrying around an extra is not really an issue, imo.
    The main problem with that I always had was keeping both of them charged. Unless you get a separate charger you have to deal with switching the batteries in the phone and keeping them both charged up. That's a big PITA as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't really looked, I'm sure they have separate standalone battery chargers... Is that what you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I haven't really looked, I'm sure they have separate standalone battery chargers... Is that what you use?
    Yup:
    http://store.treocentral.com/palm-ce.../5A83A3772.htm

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast