Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Floating appointments are a fantastic feature of DB which you will not find in any WM app. I have searched. and searched. Pocket Informant does what you want, EXCEPT for floating appointments. You can have repeating tasks which they claim is sort of the same, but it is not.

As soon as I find a WM app that does them, I ll buy it. Are you listening, developers?
    Wouter

edit: oops. the snooze for an arbitrary amount of time is also lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless View Post
    Cool, thanks -- didn't know about that.

One more question I have -- not 800w-specific (except as relates to 320x320 resolution support for the app in question), but on my 700p I use Pimlico's DateBK6 instead of Palm's built-in Calendar application.

DateBk6 features that I rely on:

1. Month view with text of events listed (with truncation) within each day's rectangle, rather than just some sort of icon or bar graph on days that have events.
    2. "Floating" events which give an alarm at the same time every day until checked off as done (without having to be put in the calendar as a daily repeating event that'll show up on every day in month view).
    3. Ability to snooze events for an arbitrary amount of time.

I took a look at a couple of Windows Mobile calendar replacement programs but did not see these features. Does anyone know of there's any software that would give me some or all of these features that I rely on on my Palm OS Treo?
    Can anyone respond to the statements made in the Brighthand review of the GPS on the 800w:

Getting the GPS itself running offered a bit of a fight. Since the Treo 800w uses a Qualcomm chipset for it's CDMA/EV-DO radio, I assume that it's using the built-in GPS support on that board, the way most of HTC's GPS-enabled models do. And while these devices do prefer to use the cell network to boost their lock-on speed, it's not absolutely necessary -- I've watched the Sprint Mogul get a lock with its cellular radio turned off entirely. However, the 800w seemed obsessed with dialing out whenever I tried to startup the GPS. With the cellular radio turned off, it wouldn't even try to search for satellites.
    Palm Treo 800w

(view large image)

At first, I thought this was simply some kind of bug, with the device automatically wanting to get GPS assistance information, and then stalling when it couldn't. However, the error message for the Sprint Maps application made it rather more clear: in order to use the GPS, you must be connected to the cellular network. It won't even let you use Wi-Fi as a substitute. I guessed that this was simply a restriction on the Sprint apps, but I'm afraid it goes further -- even third-party applications like Efficasoft GPS Utilities can't get the GPS receiver to respond without letting it talk to the network.

In short, it appears that whether by design or accident, the Treo 800w's internal GPS receiver is somewhat crippled and tied inextricably to the Sprint network.
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1696146

Is it true that you have to be connected to wireless to access GPS funtions even when using a 3rd party GPS application?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post
    I don't know if I can live without TakePhone... Can the 800w search by first name, company name and phone number like TakePone can on my 700p? -unknown
    The 800W can search by first and last name only I believe. I don't have any contacts with info in the company field, so I edited one and added the company name and when i typed it in it didn't find it. On the today screen all you have to do it type the first or last name and it pulls up an icon with the matches...or you can just type the number and press the green button.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Has anyone else had this happen? I had my treo switched to vibrate and it still rang. I tried switching it back and forth and it never really switched. I took the battery out and put it back and now it worked, but that was weird, because I'm at work and need it to be on vibrate (luckily my boss didn't hear).
    instead of going thru page after page i tried searching thru this thread but couldnt come up with any matches so i'm going to ask.

does the treo 800w's threaded sms like window's 6.1 or like palm's? i really love palm's version of threaded sms. i have the curve right now. had palm treos/centro before it and while the curve has sort of threaded sms (not really-lol) it does not compare to palm's version. thanks in advance!
    diane
    It has Palm's threaded sms. No need for any hacks unless you want to switch back to WM 6.1 texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    instead of going thru page after page i tried searching thru this thread but couldnt come up with any matches so i'm going to ask.

does the treo 800w's threaded sms like window's 6.1 or like palm's? i really love palm's version of threaded sms. i have the curve right now. had palm treos/centro before it and while the curve has sort of threaded sms (not really-lol) it does not compare to palm's version. thanks in advance!
    It is Palm's. :-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Can anyone respond to the statements made in the Brighthand review of the GPS on the 800w:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1696146

Is it true that you have to be connected to wireless to access GPS funtions even when using a 3rd party GPS application?
    I think it's false. Though i am beginning to doubt myself after replying to similar posts. With the phone radio off, I can navigate no problem with 3rd party gps software like the gamin xt. Going to go outside and try it again to confirm, so I do not look like an id10t if I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    At this point: just charging notification.

There is a "Screen Saver" that shows the time, date and missed sms when the device is off though.
    Does the screensaver show other missed notifications like missed calls or emails as well? Bummer about the LED... I'm used to that on my Touch (and every other phone I've ever had).
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    After reading the review. Of course you need the radio on. Why, because they are using services such as google map, live, sprint nav, to download the maps/data to PDA. Without it, will no go far. Other than that, if you are using other NAV / GPS related programs that are installed on your PPC and do not require a internet connection, it will work without the phone radio or wifi being on.
    Actually, they said that even when they were using a GPS utility, it didn't work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighthand.com
    ...even third-party applications like Efficasoft GPS Utilities can't get the GPS receiver to respond without letting it talk to the network.
    How is the camera app? Is there a camera album app like on the HTC devices, or does it use the standard WM one?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    Actually, they said that even when they were using a GPS utility, it didn't work:
    Confirmed it's kind of true. If your phone radio is off and you launch up 3rd party app, it will not acquire a gps signal from the SATS.

It appears though you can turn your radio on and launch your app, and then turn your phone off again. The gps seem to still work.
    Quick Reply:

I ordered mine from Sprint (on sunday) for $350 then I get the 150 mail-in rebate, so $250 final cost.

I do have a question though, I use My Treo 650 as my alarm clock by using mobileclock, since it had the best alarm that I could find (very loud, annoying, and easy to set).

Now that im upgrading to the 800W, im switching from PALM to Windows Mobile. Does the 800w have a good alarm or an alarm that you can custom the ringer (mp3)?

Or does anyone have a suggestion on a 3rd party program for an alarm clock (or is there a windows version of mobileclock?

Thanks in advance. I should be getting my 800W by wensday or friday (3-5 days).
    What is this screen saver? Are you talking about the regular Today screen? In that case, yes it shows all missed notifications.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
    Thanks for your take on this;I am going to test the Treo later today, but my gut tells me in view of my needs, that the Touch is probably better overall.
    Re: the plan, I spoke to at least 4 or 5 people in retentions espressing my displeasure and concerns(they called it Account Services-is that the same thing?), who told me that the shared plan for the Instinct would be $129 and the extra $19.99 for extra phone could not be changed for anyone, BUT that with virtually any other phone I could go back to some kind of plan resembling what I had prior.
    I guess it's because you're on a family plan. I really hate how they redid the plans. It just seems pretty confusing. I liked the previous plans where the base plan only included voice. Everything else was an add-on. Now, they just throw the add-ons to the base plan, but keep the price the same, so you're forced to get things you don't need.

I also think that it's a huge mistake that they're limiting plan choices with the Instinct. That was their one chance to get some of the iPhone customers back, but they messed that up big time.

Yes, Account Services is the same thing as retentions. There should be someone there who can give you a better plan, but it all depends on who you talk to and how you handle the situation. I usually just say "I'm thinking about canceling to get (insert other carrier's phone or plan here), but I've been with Sprint for a long time, and I've always had great service, so I wanted to see if there was anything you could do for me to save me the trouble of switching providers" and they will usually come up with something. Once I just asked for a Treo 650 for free, and they told me no, but they changed up my plan to pretty much match what lnchbx13 has. His is a little better than mine, though. I'll probably be going through the process again soon to get 2 new phones, one for my dad, and the 800 for me.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    What is this screen saver? Are you talking about the regular Today screen? In that case, yes it shows all missed notifications.
    I am linking a picture from the review posted here on WMExperts.. This is the screen saver I think we are hearing about. http://www.wmexperts.com/articleimag...eo800wvs-1.jpg
    Hmm...I see. Hopefully that can be disabled...I would think that would just be a waste of battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Does the screensaver show other missed notifications like missed calls or emails as well? Bummer about the LED... I'm used to that on my Touch (and every other phone I've ever had).
    Missed calls and Missed SMS.

Not email. Not sure about VoiceMail.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    does anyone know what the web page is for the deafault home screen. I accidently deleted it and can't remember what it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    Quick Reply:

I ordered mine from Sprint (on sunday) for $350 then I get the 150 mail-in rebate, so $250 final cost.

I do have a question though, I use My Treo 650 as my alarm clock by using mobileclock, since it had the best alarm that I could find (very loud, annoying, and easy to set).

Now that im upgrading to the 800W, im switching from PALM to Windows Mobile. Does the 800w have a good alarm or an alarm that you can custom the ringer (mp3)?

Or does anyone have a suggestion on a 3rd party program for an alarm clock (or is there a windows version of mobileclock?

Thanks in advance. I should be getting my 800W by wensday or friday (3-5 days).
    There was an inherent problem with alarms intermittently not going off up to Windows Mobile 6.0. I really hope 6.1 has resolved this problem. Problem has been ongoing since Windows CE. It has been acknowledged by Microsoft and it does not appear to be hardware related. It has caused me to miss a morning flight once.

Tae