Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Does this work with Qik (www.qik.com) for video streaming?
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
    I have 3 simple requirements for the 800w...

Can I force the 800w to only use roaming networks like I can on my 700p? YES

On my palm treo I can force the phone to only use roming networks - rather than using Sprint networks. I'm surprised I can do this but it's an option (Phone App -- Preferences -- Roaming) and is great becuase where I spend most of my time, the Sprint network stinks and the other CMDA networks are very strong. I lived 5 years with poor Sprint networks and just found this setting on my phone a few months ago. Since I have free roaming, this is a wonderful feature that I would not want to give up!

I don't know if I can live without TakePhone... Can the 800w search by first name, company name and phone number like TakePone can on my 700p? -unknown

How does PDANet work with it. That's my third and final must-have functionality - to connect to the interent from my computer through the treo... YES
    Last edited by varoomba; 07/14/2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    yes you can choose roaming only in the phone options
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had never done that before and now it is showing up the I'm in an EVDO network...I'm glad you reminded me to try that out...haha...now I'm in some highspeed!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lnchbx13 View Post
    I had never done that before and now it is showing up the I'm in an EVDO network...I'm glad you reminded me to try that out...haha...now I'm in some highspeed!!
    oh, yes, it's a great function. I can't believe I didn't know about it long long ago (I've had Treo's since the 300 - maybe 6 or 7 years (?) -and have always struggled with poor reception. Not any more. (***Caution to readers - make sure you have free roaming [I think $5 or less a month] before you turn this feature on!***)
    PDANet works great.
    What does the LED do?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I need some expert opinions with this problem:
    Ok-right now I have an Instinct and like it quite a bit EXCEPT for the fact that I am on a sharing plan which would cost me when all is said and done a minimum of $50 a month more than I was paying for my Katana, LG Rumor(I kept it under 30 days as I didn't care for the internet capability, which is important to me;under these plans I paid $69 a month for 550 Fair and Flex minutes($59 for one line and $10 for another).
    I selected the Instinct ONLY because I was told originally I could keep the 550 shared minutes and pay $25 a month more for combined unlimited interent and tv.
    However, upon purchasing the phone, I was told that information given was wrong and that I would have to take a plan of 1500 minutes for $129 monthly and an additional $20 for one of the phones;with this plan I would have unlimited internet, tv and text messaging on all three phones, essentially costing me $50 a month more than I would if I just had the shared 550 minutes and internet and tv on my phone alone.
    The problem is that I am an older and retired guy and don't come close to using the 550 minutes let alone 1500 minutes.
    I also don't use text messaging and the other two phones on the line need ly phone capabilities only.
    I explained this to Sprint; they told me the plan cannot be changed for the Instinct.
    However, as I am within the 30 day trial period, they did tell me that even though rules have changed for the OTHER phones as of 6/15, that I could be grandfathered in and get a plan similar to the one which I described above(actually even better-more than 550 minutes with a lesser cost than $69) and that I could pay $25 for unlimited internet and tv on my phone alone).
    Ok-lets cut through the chase:
    I have had a PC for 10 years and spent a lot of time on it;until the Instinct I have never owned an internet phone.
    My needs are simple:
    I would prefer a touchtone phone such as the Instinct offers and one which allows me to make and receive phone calls as well as allowing me to surf the internet-reading posts at chat sites and posting responses if I care to, checking sports scores and stock quotes and basically just keeping myself busy with different sites when I am shopping with my wife(she can take hours sometimes lol).
    I don't need text messaging, but now that tv is available (works great on the Instinct), I would like that also.
    I have researched this, and a sales rep. told me that in terms of my needs and size(I don't want one too big), the HTC Touch, whichn is available with my carrier Sprint or possibly the Mogul would be the best choices;he did say that this Palm 800 might also be good for my needs, but at the time when I talked with him, he wasn't sure of its capabilites.
    Thus the question is which phone in view of my needs is the best for me(remember it it has to be carried by Sprint)?
    Thanks in advance for any help regarding this matter.
    ps The HTC Diamond looks great, but it appears that it won't be available until after 7/24, the deadline for returning my Instinct.
    Also I going to a Sprint Store tomorrow to test and get the feel of the Palm Treo 800(have already tried the HTC Touch and it seems pretty good).
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hey Savage1,

About six months ago I was able to talk the retention department into putting me on a plan that mirrored the SERO plan since it is only for new customers. This is what they put me on, which is better. You could ask for it...who knows, might work. I use it for each of my two phones.

Free & Clear Plan 1000 (plus the bonus 200 and 250 minutes below) - $50.0
    Plan Features:

* Free & Clear Plan
    * 1000 Anytime Minutes
    * All Minutes Include Long Distance
    * Caller ID, Call Waiting
    * Three-way Calling
    * Voicemail
    * Additional Anytime Minutes $.25 Per Min.
    EVDO Casual Included
    Unl Shared Night Wknd Min 7pm Included
    Sprint Unltd Power Vision Pack Included
    250 Business Premier Bonus Min Included
    PCS PICTURE MAIL Included
    Unlimited Mobile To Mobile Min Included
    America Roaming Included Included
    TEP ($3 Ins. premium + ESRP) $7.0
    200 Cellular Bonus Minutes Included
    Unlimited Text Messaging Included
    Cellular Call Detail Included

all of that for $57 dollars each...not too bad...

I would get the treo 800W...i just switched from the Mogul and it is way better. There is 50MB more ram after a restart and it is so much more peppier. worth the money...just mention the Iphone and they will give it to you for 299-100 mail in rebate making it 199...then ask for free shipping and free activation...that is a pretty good deal.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks Inchbx13 for the response.
    Actually, I was offered the 1000 minute deal you described last Friday.
    The person said that the deal was good for that day only but that he could probably offer it again if I didn't wait too long.
    So, anyways in terms of easy navigation, you believe the Treo 800 is superior to the HTC Touch also(I know you mentioned the Mogul)?
    Remember I love the Instinct other than the monthly cost;thus I would like a phone which allows me to use touchtone most of the time with my fingers as opposed to keyboard without a stylus(I have piano player hands and had no problem with the Instinct in this regard) and one which is small, easy to use for phone calls, internet and tv and perhaps on rare occasion to check my email-thats it in a nutshell.
    If you really like the Instinct, call up retentions and see what you can negotiate. There's no reason for you to be on that $130 plan. Somebody screwed with you, probably because they got a bigger incentive if they put you on a larger plan.

If retentions won't work with you, I'd say go with the Touch, or even the Mogul. The Treos aren't really meant for people who use the touchscreen all the time. The Treo is more of a one-handed, don't need the stylus for much because you can do everything on the keyboard type of device.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
    Thanks Inchbx13 for the response.
    Actually, I was offered the 1000 minute deal you described last Friday.
    The person said that the deal was good for that day only but that he could probably offer it again if I didn't wait too long...
    Sweet Phone plan for $57! Some of the things mentioned in that phone plan are confusing. Is it comparable to the Simply Everything Plan?

From retentions, I got the 900 minute Simply Everything plan for $89.99 with 15% off. Your deal sounds a bit nicer! Do you think it's still possible to get your plan? Who did you talk to at Sprint?
    This being TreoCentral, I expect my question to be met with much ridicule However, I feel that I still need to ask it. I was one of those last-minute SERO joiners - signed up on the 12th - and the Treo 800w wasn't an option at the time. The best (a full-bore WM6 Pro phone) of the lot available was the Sprint Mogul. I haven't been keeping up with Treo news so I was surprised this morning when I found out that the 800w was now available. I'm pretty ready to go to a Sprint store between Wed-Fri to swap the Mogul for an 800w. My question is this:

Is there *any* reasonable... reason for me to not swap phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    Is there *any* reasonable... reason for me to not swap phones?
    Unless you need the larger screen or just prefer sliders, I'd say "no"--the Mogul doesn't have any killer feature over the 800w.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    What does the LED do?
    At this point: just charging notification.

There is a "Screen Saver" that shows the time, date and missed sms when the device is off though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Sweet Phone plan for $57! Some of the things mentioned in that phone plan are confusing. Is it comparable to the Simply Everything Plan?

From retentions, I got the 900 minute Simply Everything plan for $89.99 with 15% off. Your deal sounds a bit nicer! Do you think it's still possible to get your plan? Who did you talk to at Sprint?
    I will answer your question in the next day or so after I decide on what phone I will take in place of the Instinct and what I am actually offered when/if I switch.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    If you really like the Instinct, call up retentions and see what you can negotiate. There's no reason for you to be on that $130 plan. Somebody screwed with you, probably because they got a bigger incentive if they put you on a larger plan.

If retentions won't work with you, I'd say go with the Touch, or even the Mogul. The Treos aren't really meant for people who use the touchscreen all the time. The Treo is more of a one-handed, don't need the stylus for much because you can do everything on the keyboard type of device.
    Thanks for your take on this;I am going to test the Treo later today, but my gut tells me in view of my needs, that the Touch is probably better overall.
    Re: the plan, I spoke to at least 4 or 5 people in retentions espressing my displeasure and concerns(they called it Account Services-is that the same thing?), who told me that the shared plan for the Instinct would be $129 and the extra $19.99 for extra phone could not be changed for anyone, BUT that with virtually any other phone I could go back to some kind of plan resembling what I had prior.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hey Savage1 again,

It was late last night (or this morning) when I was replying to your post. Since you are into touch screens I would say that the mogul or touch have a bigger screen and to go that way. Now if you would rather have a quicker device with a little more ram, but sacrifice some screen real estate then get the Treo 800W. If you've ever had a Treo then you will love this even more. I used to have a 700P and loved the ring tones and all of the little things that Palm had on it. They did a great job of putting those same features into windows mobile. I know this is a small thing that I noticed, but when I would try to dial on the Mogul, it was so slow to respond, it would take a second to finally catch up to the numbers I was typing on the touch screen. The Treo 800W has no lag whatsoever between what you tell it to do and when it happens (except opening programs which is normal). That was my main complaint with the Mogul was how long it would take to dial a number using the touchscreen, and I'm a fan of the Treo form factor.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Kevmeister,

The plan was made to mirror sero. The internet on it was supposed to be like the Sero plan and have pic mail and data and tv, but I found out yesterday that it doesn't. It is just Data and PAM (phone-as-modem), but since I was quoted to have pic mail they added it at no additional charge.

The differences between this plan and the everything plans (I think) are that the Everything plans include the Turn-by-turn directions, Sprint TV, Sprint Music, the one that I'm talking about doesn't have that. But I don't ever watch Sprint TV, I have Garmin Mobile XT for turn by turn navigation and there are programs out there to listen to the radio for free I believe as well. So for me it's not worth the extra money. Plus the rep that added the plan for me also threw in 200 and also 250 bonus minutes, so I'm getting 1450 minutes. I'm not sure if they expire when my contract is up or not, but I'm hoping that they don't.
    I don't know if I can live without TakePhone... Can the 800w search by first name, company name and phone number like TakePone can on my 700p? -unknown