Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
  1. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Whaddya mean it works flawlessly?
    Can you make calls by talking into your BT headpone? I mean the one you are wearing in your ear. Can you initiate a new call from speaking into it?
    What kind a phone did you have before this?
    Well by flawless I mean that for every bluetooth action that I normally do, the 800w works better than any Treo I've ever used. I have not tried a BT earphone as of yet. However, what I did do is pair it with my Acura TL and all of the goodies now show up on the heads up display in the car. I made numerous calls from it and I would rate it almost as good as a Motorola - which has the best Bluetooth radio in my opinion. I'll try a BT headset and get back with you.
    Last edited by MBC; 07/12/2008 at 06:04 PM.
    1. What happens when you go to m.youtube.com and try to play a video from there? That works fine on my Touch and the video plays thru Windows Media Player.

2. Does anyone have any pics comparing this phone to the Touch? I've heard it's not much thicker but I'd really like to see.

3. I keep hearing that the GPS works great. How long does it take to get a fix in, say, Google Maps or Windows Live Search? Currently on my Touch with the unofficial official firmware update, it takes about 15 seconds for the first time.

4. Is the Task Manager the new WM 6.1 one?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  3. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    1. What happens when you go to m.youtube.com and try to play a video from there? That works fine on my Touch and the video plays thru Windows Media Player.

2. Does anyone have any pics comparing this phone to the Touch? I've heard it's not much thicker but I'd really like to see.

3. I keep hearing that the GPS works great. How long does it take to get a fix in, say, Google Maps or Windows Live Search? Currently on my Touch with the unofficial official firmware update, it takes about 15 seconds for the first time.

Doesn't work fine on the 800w. I get the Unknown error has occurred. Although, it does come up in the same manner.

I don't have pics yet, but it is true. Just a bit thicker than the touch, and a little longer too.

Took about 20 seconds, but I'm in the middle of a storm right now.

Yes it is.
    Thanks for answering so quickly! I remember that YouTube didn't always work with the Touch. Once I put the 6.1 ROM on it's been able to play fine. Do you think the HTC Streaming Media Player will work on this phone?

Also, are you coming from the Touch? I'd like to know more about your transitioning as I have the Touch as well and was considering this phone. What are the lil niggles that you're dealing with in transitioning? Is the screen real estate bothering you much? Did you put the "unofficial official" 6.1 ROM on your Touch, and if so how does it compare to the Treo? Are there any programs that look funny or don't work on the phone so far because of the screen res?

lol sorry about all the questions
    Last edited by Jaggrey; 07/12/2008 at 06:34 PM.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  5. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Thanks for answering so quickly! I remember that YouTube didn't always work with the Touch. Once I put the 6.1 ROM on it's been able to play fine. Do you think the HTC Streaming Media Player will work on this phone?

Also, are you coming from the Touch? I'd like to know more about your transitioning as I have the Touch as well and was considering this phone. What are the lil niggles that you're dealing with in transitioning? Is the screen real estate bothering you much? Did you put the "unofficial official" 6.1 ROM on your Touch, and if so how does it compare to the Treo? Are there any programs that look funny or don't work on the phone so far because of the screen res?

lol sorry about all the questions
    No problem... I don't mind answering questions when I have an answer.

I don't know if the HTC Media Player will work. I don't use Youtube enough to care actually. But, I'm sure those who do will give it a shot. The only little niggle as you called it is that someone in an earlier post asked me about how a bluetooth headset would work with the 800w. I pulled mine out and the only thing that doesn't seem to work right is voice command. This is a common problem with Windows Voice Command, and the good news is that the microphone actually comes up when you hit the button on the headset. I'm playing with the settings as I type this. I'll keep you posted.

I am actually transitioning from a Treo 700wx, but I do also have a Touch on my second line. I did put the unofficial 6.1 on my touch and it is extremely similar to the 800w. The high-res screen actually helped with some of my apps on the 800w that looked rather stupid on my 700wx. An example of that would be WeatherPanel. I love how it looks on the Touch, but I hated it on my 700wx. It seems that the 800w adjusts the resolution of the app to make it "fit" onto the screen. So now it looks oddly small, but it is very usable and functional. I'm also looking for resolution settings for this, but who knows if I will find them.

The transition from the 700wx to the 800w is pretty much seemless, especially if you have used 6.1. If you are coming from the Touch, you will have to adjust to the screen size, but having the keyboard available for one handed use is worth more than the extra screen to me.

In case you may be wondering, the wireless hooked up to my home network in under 10 seconds. Very, very sweet.
  6. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Another thought that I had was that some may feel that palm has cheapened the materials of the 800w from the 700wx. I can tell you that it is not the same phone, but it still feels very solid. I'm particularly liking the rubberized back side of the phone, similar to that of my Touch. I think the Palm is actually made better as there is no "loose" feeling of the battery door when I text on the 800w. The 800w is definitely a solid phone with great fit and finish. One may feel the 700wx was made better with more metal on it, but keep in mind it was heavier as well.
    Has anyone had any luck setting up the 800w to tether with Vista via bluetooth? I have been trying all day and can't figure it out

I have tried the internet sharing program and my computer sees it but as soon as it connects it says "The computer has closed the connection"
    Last edited by Roloc; 07/12/2008 at 07:49 PM.
  8. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roloc View Post
    Has anyone had any luck setting up the 800w to tether with Vista via bluetooth? I have been trying all day and can't figure it out

I have tried the internet sharing program and my computer sees it but as soon as it connects it says "The computer has closed the connection"
    Yes I have. I'm using Windows Mobile Center and updated my contacts, transferred files, etc. It may be a BT setting on your computer. Were you able to do this before the 800?
    Quote Originally Posted by MBC View Post
    Yes I have. I'm using Windows Mobile Center and updated my contacts, transferred files, etc. It may be a BT setting on your computer. Were you able to do this before the 800?
    Ohh I am sorry I wasn't specific ActiveSync is working great but I can not use the "phone as a modem" feature on my laptop.
  10. MBC
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Ohh I am sorry I wasn't specific ActiveSync is working great but I can not use the "phone as a modem" feature on my laptop.
    I see. Do you have the phone as modem package on your Sprint plan? If you don't you will get that exact message. Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROpcs View Post
    That is the greatest thing ever!!!

Now, Skyfire anyone?
    Just got the .6 Skyfire beta running. Smooth as silk. An unbelievable experience with Wi-Fi. Opera, IE, netfront, they are all so 20th century compared to this technology. Kudos to Skyfire team!

Also I am one of those folks who had trouble with Google maps but after a few searches with Live Search one quickly sees how much BETTER Live Search is so I just deleted Google maps, wont need it. All the functionality plus. The voice search is also unbelievably fast. You speak what you want ("Chinese Grocery Store") and it returns a list sorted from closest to farthest. Click again on your favorite to map and get directions. It is so good its like magic. The most recent version was not on phone though so after downloading update I am left with two Live Search Prgram Icons and not sure how to get rid of the older one, I wonder if its in ROM?

My main complaints are battery life and some random system lockups and it seems to forget my wifi WAP from time to time. Also coming from a 700p, the task management takes some getting use to.
    Last edited by weisshb; 07/12/2008 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MBC View Post
    I see. Do you have the phone as modem package on your Sprint plan? If you don't you will get that exact message. Just curious.
    Just the sprint power vision, but I used my 700w like that with DUN and never had the phone as a modem... can you do DUN with the 800w? It doesn't show as a service from bluetooth
    Just the sprint power vision, but I used my 700w like that with DUN and never had the phone as a modem... can you do DUN with the 800w? It doesn't show as a service from bluetooth
    According to the manual, you have to have PAM plan for DUN to work.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere that "youtube" was a feature? The boards have really been on fire since Thursday.
    I went to YouTube and it told me:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
    Ok, I like this phone, a lot. BUT, I'm listening to P-Tunes with the head phones that came with it, and the volume is low, I mean low. Is anyone else getting the same. The volume on this phone is really low...I hope there is a way to fix this...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I just created a brief overview of the 800w. You can view it at Youtube:

Please feel free to leave any comments. I wasn't prepaired so i wasn't able to demostrate some of the features.
    On 755p, I have not learned how to set up Versamail to view IMAGES embedded in e-mails...(I've always thought it was just not possible..)

How about on 800w? Are we able to view embedded images well?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    On 755p, I have not learned how to set up Versamail to view IMAGES embedded in e-mails...(I've always thought it was just not possible..)

How about on 800w? Are we able to view embedded images well?
    In the email they are blocked just like outlook, but you can download them if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by eRod v1.0 View Post
    In the email they are blocked just like outlook, but you can download them if you like.
    thnks,

I wish we could view the images right on/in the email...
    like in my friend's iphone..
    Just picked up my new Treo 800W:

So I woke up this morning and was the first one in line at my local Sprint Store (Clearwater, FL) at 10:30am. As I was waiting for the store to open one of the employees taped a sign to the door stating "Our systems are down and we can only do repairs). I decided that I was not going to go home w/out this phone today. I went in and asked if I could wait to see if their systems would come up and the said it would not be a problem however they had no idea when that would be. I milled around the store and played with the 800 that they had on display and immediately said "this is friggin awesome." At about 12:45 one of the reps called me over and said their system had come up and proceeded to ring me up. I was out the door with my new 800 for 349.99 + tax = 374.50 plus the mail in rebate. So far the only problem I see with playing with the phone is the cheap plastic Stylus (I have been using my 700wx's) and that I will need to get a new charging/dock cradle, and new car charger. This phone feels really light, the brightness issue is solved by changing the level in the settings, and now I canít even bare to look at my 700wx as the 800 has such a crisp clean display. I was able to synch up my contacts and email from my exchanage server w/no problem. Hopefully Sprint and Palm will start up the ad campaign as this so far is an awesome device