1.    #1  
    I know there are a few topics about HTC devices versus the new 800w, but what about waiting for the new OS Nova/2.0 to come out WITH a new device in 2009. From what I have read, it is suggested that one would be out in 2009.

Assume Feb 13th, that's 7 months from the release of the 800w. Do you think it's worth the wait?

I cant say how buggy it will be, nor what the device will look like, but knowing that there is supposed to be a new device with the new OS makes me kind of hate to switch to a WM based phone, then 7 months later go... DANG, I wish I would have waited for the Treo 900p or whatever they call it.

It would also be nice to keep all of my programs and put them right back on a NEW device that would work with the Palm programs and not have to switch all over to WM. From what I hear they will be backwards compatible, so we can use what we have on the new Palm OS.

My biggest problem is I usually dont want to pay the FULL price, and always wait for an upgrade. I would more than likely not even get the Treo 800w until Aug/Sept, and by then, time will fly and Feb 09 will be around the corner.

It sucks to see all of us Palm OS users jump ship for WM when the Palm OS is not dead, but just not out yet.
    The Nova OS will be a Linux based OS. At one point, Palm indicated that Palm OS users will be able to switch to Nova and have a Palm OS mode on the Nova phones, but I don't know if that still will happen. I really get the impression that it will be a completely different OS and that it likely will not be a Treo line at all, but a whole new product line. So, my advice would be if you like Windows, go with the 800, if you don't, wait for the Nova OS to come out. The other thing to remember is that the Nova line will be brand new and likely will have some debugging to do, whereas the WM technology has been around a while and it is likely to be much more stable on the 800.
    Palms new OS is already 5 years delayed.

Ill take available versus vaporware anyway...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It will take months for the new OS to have the software base that WM already has. So if the device launches in Feb, it might be at least summer 09 before it's ready to go up against WM. And even then, the OS has to prove it can sell befor edevelopers flock to it.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have been thinking about this a lot. The contract on my Sprint 700p expired at the end of this past May. Still using it everyday as my business phone and it still works flawlessly. No issues with it at all.

The 800w looks interesting and I have thought about jumping to it just for a new OS challenge.

But that new Palm OS and new device in '09 looks promising too. I could wait till '09 and replace my 700p then, or jump to a 800w and jump to the new Palm '09 device.

Shoooooot, I dunno.....My 700p won't die......I'll have to think on it smore....

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In all honesty---and entirely IMHO---I doubt Nova will ever ship. It'll be delayed, we'll see a tantalizing preview, it'll be delayed some more and then quietly, it'll just fade away and Palm will be bought out shortly afterwards. It happened before with Cobalt, it happened last year in lesser fashion with the Fooleo's custom Linux platform, and it's kinda/sorta starting to happen with ALP.

My advice is if you like the Treo FF, go ahead and get the 800w. If you're a current POS user, either stick with what you've got or try to get a Centro or 755p for as little $ as possible and ride it out for another 9-12 months and see what happens.

Of course, I HOPE I'm wrong and I HOPE that Nova comes out next spring and knocks all of our socks off. But judging by the past performance of the Palm companies, I just have huge personal doubts about seeing Nova, especially with Palm remaining so tight-lipped now and refusing to show even a small sample of the UI or an early preview build.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    My Sprint SERO contract ends in May 2009, so I'm hoping their new device will be out by then.
    If not or if it isn't emminent, I'll be looking at the 800w or a Blackberry, anything I can use my Slingbox with.
    The new iPhone is intriguing but I can't give up my SERO plan.
  8.    #8  
    More than anything, what concerns me, is the whole Palm fiasco we have seen with ROMS, the Foleo, etc etc. The Patches being the biggest thing. Talk about hot people back then.

I'd like to say... I dont want Palm to disappoint me, but I know what has happened in the past.

I guess another thing to remember too, is even if Palm DOES impress by that time, what will WM be like? Version 7? 7.1? Not only that, what about the devices around that time?

Palm did say they are looking at other devices just besides smartphones, so it could be another deal like the TX, or any handheld (minus the phone stuff)

I'd be willing to guess something like the itouch. And iPhone minus the phone, and a Treo minus the phone. (Insert some name for the device)

I think the whole NEW SOFTWARE kind of scares me knowing Palms track record of testing stuff that goes on our phones.

Probably by that time i'd be looking at 9 months, and for loads of software probably another 3-6.

It really sucks they cant just come out with BOTH versions at the same time. I assume many OS users will be going to WM because they dont want to wait. The percent of us with Palm OS will probably drop significantly. At least if I dont wait, i'll be one of them going to WM.

All a waiting game really to see what Palm pulls out of their hats. While I like the Treo 800w, it isn't anything IMPRESSIVE over the last one. A few features many of us wanted long ago, so this scares me when Palm claims that the New OS and slew of devices will be killer.
    There's always something new, and probably better, in development somewhere. I could end up waiting forever for something better. I'm asking, "Will the 800w do what I want and need now? Is there a good chance it will be doing what I want and need for the 2 year contract?" My answer to both has been, "yes," so I'm taking the plunge.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Assuming Palm doesn't do an about-face and release 2 or 3 hot new handhelds (say, a lower-end classic T|E style PDA, a slim TX replacement iPod Touch-style PMP and a Nokia N810-style web tablet) to "test" Nova at retail without having to worry about carrier certification, I fully expect them to release something along the lines of the Treo 800w or 850 next year but running Nova. If the 800w handles WinMob reasonably well with a 333mhz CPU then it stands to reason that a more efficient Linux-based OS would do even better.

In short, I really think Palm is still too scared to move beyond 320x320 for the forseeable future. WinMob is already more than capable enough to do a VGA or better device ala the Xperia X1 or even the Touch Diamond but Palm doesn't want to spend the $ on FF/component changes and take a risk on ANYTHING new. Palm, for all practical purposes, has been a one-trick pony for several years.

The Centro and all of Palm's Treos are still essentially identical candybar devices with just minor tweaks to screen size, resolution, OS and keyboard shape.

Quickstang makes a good point about having to wait for the 3rd party software to appear. I was pleasantly surprised to see reasonably strong developer support last year when the Fooleo was announced. But after burning their bridges with the developer & user community with the Fooleo's 11th hour cancellation last year, can Palm resurrect that same goodwill & support again in '09 onwards?
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    There's always something new, and probably better, in development somewhere. I could end up waiting forever for something better. I'm asking, "Will the 800w do what I want and need now? Is there a good chance it will be doing what I want and need for the 2 year contract?" My answer to both has been, "yes," so I'm taking the plunge.
    I think this depends on the user. I dont think you can necessarily say that 2yrs from now it will do what you REALLY want it to. The only thing you can say for sure is that it will do the basics at that point in time, and just get the job done.

I'm sure data speeds will be quicker, the OS will be quite a bit better, the speeds, the memory, and the whole 9 yards in 2yrs.

The 700p was released in 2006 and it is now 2008.

Now Palm has had some ups and downs, but look at the difference in what it has NOW versus what it did have.

We aren't talking HUGE, but there is a big enough difference, that I would switch.

I cant STAND the speed of the 700p, the blazer lag, and lack of blazer update, no wi-fi, and a few other things. Not too long after the 700p was out (say another year) I was stating I wish the next device had these types of things on them. I was even claiming it would be nice to have 4GB built in, a 3MP camera, and other things. I didn't get my wish, but I got part of it.

I'll tell you what I am seeing, is that I am seeing other people being more productive than me with other phones cause mine cant keep up anymore. I went to check something on the web, and it was like 30sec before the white screen went away and I about tossed my phone.

I used a Dash one day and that thing sped through what I was looking for before my device even loaded. Not happy with that at all.

It all depends on what we are after. Would my 700 last another year or 2? Sure it would, but its not the fact of it lasting, its the fact it is NOT getting the job done like newer devices are/will and I want it to.

I'll probably get the 800w cause my contract is up, but I sure hope it works well. If I can have a better web experience i'll be a happy camper for now.
    Palm has a history of delaying everything. The 800w was supposed to be out a year ago at least. So if you buy the 800w, you'll likely be safe for at least 18 months if you ask me, not a mere 7 months. 18 months is a long time in the cell phone world.

They've said many, many times that they've got new form factors and game-changing devices all planned, but it's never happened once. The 800w is all the CDMA peeps are going to get for the next two years. I'm just going from their prior track record, not by their PRPRPR $dept$.
    If I waited every time "newer" phone to come out, I would never have upgraded from the 650. I hated it, went with the 700P, the 700w, the Centro and now the 800W. I also had 2 other Windows phones that I could not stand and after a few days, got rid of them. The Nova release is interesting, but too far off to be of real interest to me. When it comes up I will look, but frankly, I do not see it as anything I will be really interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I know there are a few topics about HTC devices versus the new 800w, but what about waiting for the new OS Nova/2.0 to come out WITH a new device in 2009. From what I have read, it is suggested that one would be out in 2009.

Assume Feb 13th, that's 7 months from the release of the 800w. Do you think it's worth the wait?
    We will not see a nova device for sale before 31 May 2009... give or take 30 days.

To answer your question, yes, I would wait for a new device and OS if NOTHING else out was worth purchasing AND (big AND) my current device met (or exceeded) my needs.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001