1.    #1  
    Since this has been the topic of some discussion recently, here are some samples showing the difference in on-screen content between these resolutions:

Home screen:
    240x240
    320x320 (Using a 240x240 theme - that's why there's so much white space around the center box. Please ignore it for now. I'll try to repost the 320 home screen with larger fonts and a 320 theme).

Opera Mini Zoomed Out:
    240x240
    320x320
    VGA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  2.    #2  
    Opera Mini Zoomed in:

240x240
    320x320
    VGA
  3.    #3  
    Side-by-side for easier comparison:

I think the difference is dramatic if the app is designed properly.

Still trying to get comparable home screen outputs
    Surely the influence of the screen size should also be shown?

Surur
    Actually, we're just concerned with resolution/quality for reading, etc...not how much info they will display or size comparisons.
    Here's some pictures which give a better idea of the effects of screen resolution and screen size.

240x240

320x320

480x640

Note the main effect of the increased screen resolution is more readability of small fonts, but also the landscape screen shows more of a webpage. Also with better screen resolution images look much clearer - look for example at the faces on the pages.

Surur
    That last one nailed. Nice work. Too bad VGA and front facing keyboards don't mix.
  8.    #8  
    Here's a same-sized comparison of the zoomed in pages. I think this is more telling because it has readable text.

Safe to say VGA matters?