1.    #1  
    Looks like while the 800W lands this month, the Touch Diamond is slated for Sept 2 (accordingly to rumor on WMExperts).

While I love the Treo for the physical keyboard and one-handed use, I think the Touch Diamond wins on all other fronts. (form factor, screen, resolution, browser, etc.)

Anyone else on the fence about this?
    Not really, lol.

The Diamond will be nice (assuming its not crippled), but I just don't wanna give up my buttons and one-handed use.

When using the Touch my thumb got a work out stretching all over the place hitting Start, Ok then the Soft keys.

Plus feature wise I see no difference besides screen size/resolution (i don't think resolution will be hugely different between the two actually).
    If you do a lot of browsing and multimedia (or want to) go Touch Pro.
    If you just want messaging and business aps. treo 800 is prolly better.
    I agree on some points. For my needs, the lack of an expansion slot and KB kills the Diamond.

The Touch Pro is the real competition, and if you can adjust to the slide-out KB, it's probably a better fit for you.
    I hated the slider on my 6700 and Mogul, so I think it'll be an 800w for me. I will have to give the Touch Pro's TV-out port a try, however. This could be a difference maker if it allows connectivity to, say, an LCD screen. I can envision many people using the Touch Pro as their "everywhere PC", using is at as a phone when on the go and as a PC repository when a monitor and BT keyboard are available. There's also the potential to watch photos or movies on a TV.

I disagree with Mal on the screen resolution. VGA will make a world of difference for apps that are designed for it. I tried OperaMini in VGA resolution and the results are incredible. When working with spreadsheets, you will be able to zoom out and actually still read the text. Hopefully the 800w's successor will finally bring a large rectangular VGA screen with a vertical slide-out KB to the Treo line.
    I forgot about no expansion slot...damn that is lame.

Re: screen resolution , I just don't know how much better VGA vs 320x320 will be for reading/fonts/everyday use since I never really seen them side by side...hence my hesitation. The larger screen though will help, no doubt for the Pro.
    I keep going back and forth too on this whole deal, and the keyboard may be a deal breaker.

I played with the Samsung Dash, and I dont know if I liked the whole turn the phone, get the keyboard up, then try to type, etc etc. Wasn't difficult to type, but it was another step to bring up the keyboard, and I found the phone had to be in landscape mode to type (or at least from what I saw, and I may be wrong). While I thought the rotating screen was cool, it kind of drove me nuts flipping the phone back and forth.

I dont have TONS of music or video on my Palm (I have a 4GB card) but I do use quite a bit of it. I would hate to realize that 4GB was gone and I couldn't expand (diamond) if I wanted to.

Knowing I could have a 6GB or 8GB or more card on the Palm would be cool

All in all, I may miss the keyboard, and go...now it's too late to switch.

I notice people I work with flipping phones, sliding out keyboards, and some even say... "I wish mine was like yours with the keys right there"

I had a friend show me a site with his iphone and he kept flipping the dumb thing to type. Another friend was texting and slid the phone up, and then down, then up, then down. I think it was an LG Chocolate or something.

I thought to myself... What a hassle. And more then likely, it will be a BIG complaint if I switch for something as simple as a few words on a text. You mean I have to slide this thing back out AGAIN to answer YES?

With the Treo, it is right there.

I really think I may miss that if I switch
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I thought to myself... What a hassle. And more then likely, it will be a BIG complaint if I switch for something as simple as a few words on a text. You mean I have to slide this thing back out AGAIN to answer YES?

With the Treo, it is right there.

I really think I may miss that if I switch
    I'd like to believe one of the 53 highly-touted software keyboards would suffice for simple replies like "YES", and you'd only need to slide out the real KB for extended replies. I'm just not sure what defines a "simple" reply. Is this message, for example, doable w/ a SW KB? I would probably get tired if I had to drag out the KB and turn the brick for 2-sentence replies.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'd like to believe one of the 53 highly-touted software keyboards would suffice for simple replies like "YES", and you'd only need to slide out the real KB for extended replies. I'm just not sure what defines a "simple" reply. Is this message, for example, doable w/ a SW KB? I would probably get tired if I had to drag out the KB and turn the brick for 2-sentence replies.
    Maybe the short text messages are ok, but its when you have a short convo lets say in a few minutes where you would not really want to keep messing with the slide out.

I dont know, but its just a guess. Another thing for instance, is that my diet program, I change amounts, and use the keyboard for that as well. Only one of many programs where I think over time, you'd miss the real keyboard. Then again, i've never used a phone like the iPhone or Dash or HTC Diamond for any length of time to really SAY how it would be.

I'm sure there are people on here who have used both types for extended periods and can say what they think. I'm sure Malatesta has used many devices to compare.
    i agree with mal's main page article that the 6950 is probably the touch dual and the not the pro. I'm not saying the pro isn't coming to sprint, but probably not in september. That's too long for me to wait. Besides, if you've seen the pro being handled...it looks THICK. That's a point of contention for some and what it really comes down to, is if people are willing to sacrifice size for video out, higher camera resolution, etc
    A touchscreen keyboard will be annoying if you type a lot. If you send short messages and such it shouldnt be an issue. I can rip a full txt (160char) in seconds on my treo (correctly) where it would take much longer on my ipod touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdonbonjovi View Post
    A touchscreen keyboard will be annoying if you type a lot. If you send short messages and such it shouldnt be an issue. I can rip a full txt (160char) in seconds on my treo (correctly) where it would take much longer on my ipod touch.
    That's what I assumed, but some of these touch KB proponents are very enthusiastic about their touch typing abilities.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    That's what I assumed, but some of these touch KB proponents are very enthusiastic about their touch typing abilities.
    yea thats bull. I used to think the same but with touchpal on my touch I can type ~80% as fast as I could on my treo. Plus 240x320 on the touch >= 320x320 on the treo especially for video applications (comparing to a 755p here). 640x480 will be an absolute beatdown. I *might* go back to an 800, but I think I am destined for a touch pro but only because the diamond has no expansion. The lack of a keyboard doesnt bother me in the slightest and in fact there is a minalmist beauty in a lack of buttons imo. I liked my 700wx but I LOOOOVVEEE my touch!
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    yea thats bull. I used to think the same but with touchpal on my touch I can type ~80% as fast as I could on my treo. Plus 240x320 on the touch >= 320x320 on the treo especially for video applications (comparing to a 755p here). 640x480 will be an absolute beatdown. I *might* go back to an 800, but I think I am destined for a touch pro but only because the diamond has no expansion. The lack of a keyboard doesnt bother me in the slightest and in fact there is a minalmist beauty in a lack of buttons imo. I liked my 700wx but I LOOOOVVEEE my touch!
    I agree with you... I got tired of the 700wx having issues and got the Touch... firsdt hated the keyboard... njow am totally used to it.

The new ROM update gave the phone GPS and also a more intuitive keyboard that is even better....

I also am going to wait for the touch pro... as long as you can type with one hand with soft keys AS WELL as slide out....

The touch is just better overall...

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by saqer View Post
    Besides, if you've seen the pro being handled...it looks THICK. That's a point of contention for some and what it really comes down to, is if people are willing to sacrifice size for video out, higher camera resolution, etc
    Actually, the Touch Pro and the 800W are almost identical in thickness. It tends to look a bit thicker because the height and width of the Pro are smaller than the Treo.

I'm also very much on the fence with the Touch Pro and the 800w. I had the 6700 and really liked it - the slideout KB didn't really bother me. Given that the Pro has both the slideout and the virtual KB's, it may be the winner. I'm just waiting to see about how slow it is - I've heard that TouchFlo really slows it down....so I guess I'll wait to see.

My Sprint contract isn't up until January, so I figure I'll wait until the contract ends and see if that puts me in a better bargaining position.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G