Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    No. Simultaneous voice and data requires more than the faster standard- it also requires a switch over to a VOIP based network, which no CDMA carrier has done so far in USA.

Surur
  3. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Bummer! I have been using that as a bragging point to colleagues who will be converting to this phone.

And thanks for the wisdom. Is increased bandwidth the only advantage over EVDO? Do you see Talk/Data becoming a reality any time soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    Bummer! I have been using that as a bragging point to colleagues who will be converting to this phone.

And thanks for the wisdom. Is increased bandwidth the only advantage over EVDO? Do you see Talk/Data becoming a reality any time soon?
    Sprint/Verizon could have opted to implement the dual technology but did not--I don't expect any change in that, but who knows.

EvDO RevA at this point decreases latency and greatly increases upload speeds (by about a factor of 8x), which makes using data much more consistent and reliable.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I believe Blackberries are really the only devices that can use cellular voice and data simultaneously. I heard it's because they have two radios, but even if that's not the case their expensive data plans are 'always on' and I also think it only applies to UMTS networks.
    PDANet 2.0 Adds this new feature:

Feature: Added the Proxy Mode feature so that voice and data can be used side-by-side.

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/updatehistory.php

Not sure how this helps with the phone only, but looks like this would help when theathered.
    "While it is true that technology waits for no man; stupidity will always stop to take on new passengers." -- Anonymous
    With LTE looming I don't think much further development will occur on CDMA. LTE should support simultaneous voice and data out of the box, as its the same 4G technology which will be deployed in Europe, who are already used to simultaneous voice and data.

Surur
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Simultaneous voice and data has been available for quite some time on the Treo 750. Why? It's the network...AT&T's GSM based offering. The only way a Sprint or Verizon based Blackberry or Treo 800w will do simultaneous voice and data is if the data is being passed via the wifi radio and NOT the cellular radio. Neither Sprint nor Verizon's network currently supports that. However, text messaging can be done at almost anytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    With LTE looming I don't think much further development will occur on CDMA. LTE should support simultaneous voice and data out of the box, as its the same 4G technology which will be deployed in Europe, who are already used to simultaneous voice and data.

Surur
    Why did Sprint picked WiMax over LTE!?
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Why did Sprint picked WiMax over LTE!?
    The difference between WiMAX and LTE is less about technology and more about availability today, and the commercial positioning of the respective technologies. WiMAX is here now; LTE is at least two years away.
    http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...407839105/1014

Wimax is nearly ready to launch here in the U.S. whereas LTE is probably about 2 years out...that's potentially a big deal if Sprint can play their cards right.

I also agree with that above article: WiMax will drive 4g in the U.S. but will be phased out once LTE (in a few years) becomes big enough. Much like how EvDO has driven the demand for 3g already.

Laptop makers, Intel, etc are all on board with putting Wimax chips in their devices since it's a hop and a skip to build it into existing WiFi chips.

Either way, it's a moot point. WM devices would choke on that much data throughput, kill your battery and you wouldn't get that much of an advantage. Right now it's better for laptops, UMPCs, cameras, etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So much misinformation.

1. No BB on Sprint can do voice and data.
    2. PDA Net 2.0 does not do voice and data.
    Voice vs data? The two are essentially the same at this point on major transport networks and certainly will all be the same everywhere in the future.

TDM days are over. It is going to be IP packets. That is why EVDV died.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sprint/Verizon could have opted to implement the dual technology but did not--I don't expect any change in that, but who knows.

EvDO RevA at this point decreases latency and greatly increases upload speeds (by about a factor of 8x), which makes using data much more consistent and reliable.
    And don't forget there is a slight bump in download speed. Emphasis on "slight."
    DO Rev 0 can burst up to 2.4 Mbps and DO Rev A can burst up to 3.1 Mbps both on the downstream. While those are theoretical peaks the average throughput will still see that slight improvement.
    Last edited by xchpstang; 07/08/2008 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So much misinformation.

2. PDA Net 2.0 does not do voice and data.
    nsx, please explain why you believe this is misinformation.

This quote below is direct from this linked June Fabrics PDAnet page not me.

Version 2.0
    Feature: Added the Proxy Mode feature so that voice and data can be used side-by-side.

If this is not what it implies, then what is it?
    "While it is true that technology waits for no man; stupidity will always stop to take on new passengers." -- Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    And don't forget there is a slight bump in download speed. Emphasis on "slight."
    DO Rev 0 can burst up to 2.4 Mbps and DO Rev A can burst up to 3.1 Mbps both on the downstream. While those are theoretical peaks the average throughput will still see that slight improvement.

The problem is that the vast majority of the time you are hitting a tower that has 1.544mbps of total capacity.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by htguru View Post
    nsx, please explain why you believe this is misinformation.

This quote below is direct from this linked June Fabrics PDAnet page not me.

Version 2.0

If this is not what it implies, then what is it?
    Simple. I've tried it. Have you?

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/proxymode.php
    I've been told the network allows it and the phones have it disabled or the network disables from the phones to do it. This would prove june fabrics Is it really necassary though? Does this even matter?

BTW - WiMax is gonna be sweet... You have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    I've been told the network allows it and the phones have it disabled or the network disables from the phones to do it.
    That's not accurate. As has been stated before, CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, etc.) do not have the capability of doing data and voice simultaneously over the cellular networks. You can technically make a phone call over a CDMA cellular network and do data over a WiFi enabled Palm (800w for example) simultaneously. That uses two different radios (Cellular and WiFi). But that's not the same thing as doing it simultaneously over the cellular network alone, a feature that does exists on a GSM based network (AT&T, T-Mobile).
    This would prove june fabrics
    June Fabrics sells a piece of software that can be used on a Treo handset on either a CDMA or a GSM based network. Their features speak in generalities.
    Is it really necassary though? Does this even matter?
    In my opinion, no, it does not matter. But for others it does. That's why it's important to make sure the information that is out there is as accurate as possible.
    Odd. I coud have sworn I've received e-mails via EVDO while on a conference call. Unless the new e-mail was delayed 10 minutes before showing up (on my Mogul).
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    I've been told the network allows it and the phones have it disabled or the network disables from the phones to do it. This would prove june fabrics Is it really necassary though? Does this even matter?

BTW - WiMax is gonna be sweet... You have no idea.
    I agree most would not think it is a big deal for voice and data, but I think it's great. If I am on a long call -especially a conference call and I am mostly listening, I can receive emails.

Also, if I am talking with someone it is great to be able to forward them an email without having to hang up and then even get confirmation they have received it while on the phone.

Lastly, when I am sitting in traffic and on the phone (as is often the case in L.A.) I can get real time traffic updates on Google maps without having to hang up.

Three reasons--well maybe two because 1 and 2 are similar--but I would hate to lose the simultaneous voice and data. I am an ATT 750 (GSM) user so waiting for the 850 so I can have wifi and GPS.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast