1.    #1  
    After going through the recently posted manual and the various leaked photos of the 800w, it looks to me like even though the 800w is going to have a 320x320 screen, its still going to only be able to display the same amount of information on its screen as a 240x240 LCD (such as the one on the 700wx). The only added benefit of the 320x320 screen appears to be that it will provide a crisper image but not the extra screen real estate that I was expecting or that you get with any of the other 320x240 WM devices out there such as the 6800. Does this concern or disappoint anyone or are you simply planning on runnning software like real VGA? One of the reasons I stayed away from the 700wx was the 240x240 screen simply didn't provide enough space for me to work with and I thought that was going to be addressed in the 800w with the 320x320 LCD, but apparently not. Thoughts?
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    I tend to equate screen real estate to physical dimensions which appear to be 2.5'' (diagonally) just like the Treo 650. The 650 also had a 320x320 resolution which just means it's crisper like you said compared to the 7XX models.

I think the higher resolution in this case means that you can fit more on the screen and it's still readable.

Compared to the Apache for example you get a physically smaller screen, but slightly better resolution.

Compared to the new Diamond you get less resolution and a smaller screen.

Compared to the Palm Centro it's the same resolution but you get more .3'' more of physical screen space.

I dunno if you've owned a treo before, and I haven't, but I think that one of the points of having the smaller screen on the treos is so one doesn't have to ever switch to landscape mode, which in my opinion is sort of a hassle on some of the HTC phones like the 6700 and mogul.

I hope that made sense.
    Apps that are designed to handle the 320x320 screen will be able to take advantage of the extra real estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Apps that are designed to handle the 320x320 screen will be able to take advantage of the extra real estate.
    Yes. You can also drop the font size lower, fitting more onto the screen, and have it still be legible.
    Not extra real estate, just extra resolution, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Not extra real estate, just extra resolution, right?
    Correct
  7.    #7  
    Well how about something like the native WM apps or Today Screen? From the leaked pics, looks like you can only fit around 8 lines/items on the Today Screen whereas on my Mogul that has 320x240 screen, I can fit around 13 lines/items. And then with Palm's custom SMS program, looks like that will always take up an extra line on the Today Screen as well whereas on other WM devices, that's not the case. The 800w user manual shows you can disaply about 4 appointments at the same time in the Calendar app whereas my Mogul can display at least 6 simultaneously without scrolling. I would think if any app can take advantage of the 320x320 screen, it would be the native WM ones but so far, that doesn't appear to be the case. I really want to get the 800w as I miss the Treo form factor and tired of dealing with the low RAM on my Mogul but I don't want to downgrade in terms of screen real estate.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    As nsxprime said, you should be able to decrease the font to get more lines on screen. Palm wouldn't want to go to a smaller font by default since some of the older users might not be able to read the tiny text.

But even on my 700wx, with TodayAgenda installed, I have 10+ lines of info on my screen, and it's fairly legible.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, I get that, I just hope the font the 800w is using in those leaked pics/user manual is towards the higher end (and thus why there are only 8 lines/item on the Today Screen). I don't want have to go past the middle mark on the font adjustment to get it to where I can get 13 lines/items on my Today Screen.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saqer View Post

I dunno if you've owned a treo before, and I haven't, but I think that one of the points of having the smaller screen on the treos is so one doesn't have to ever switch to landscape mode, which in my opinion is sort of a hassle on some of the HTC phones like the 6700 and mogul.

I hope that made sense.
    This is a good point. I like my SlingPlayer on my Mogul, but I hate having to watch it on landscape mode because they made regular mode so small. With the Treo, it will fill most if not all of the screen and I won't have to switch anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    I really want to get the 800w as I miss the Treo form factor and tired of dealing with the low RAM on my Mogul but I don't want to downgrade in terms of screen real estate.
    Can't have it both ways, sorry

Even the VGA Touch Diamond does not "display more info" despite the better resolution--it just looks better, much better and is easier on the eyes.

A square screen will always display less than a landscape--that's just the way it is, unless you make the fonts much smaller.

Using a freeware app like TodayAgenda, you can easily jam in tons of appointments on the Today screen by controlling the size of the font, amount of info to show, etc.

Currently I have SPB Phone Suite, MagiCall, Octro Talk and 4 appointments showing with room for another 2 or 3 easily.

For others, the benefit of 320x320 is mostly ease of reading and sharper looking text. "More screen real estate" is done via making the fonts smaller and optionally making the screen larger.

But it's all trade offs. The Mogul may be better for video, but who wants to hold their phone in landscape on the train like that for an hour? I've done it and it's very uncomfortable. I'd rather hold my Treo or Moto Q and watch it that way.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Only sucky part about the screen is that damn Sprint line with icons. The 700 had a hack for it. Hope it works with the 800. It will save some real estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Only sucky part about the screen is that damn Sprint line with icons. The 700 had a hack for it. Hope it works with the 800. It will save some real estate.
    It works with WM6/6.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Most apps that worked on WM5 will work fine on the 800w. WM6 was originally WM 5.5 until someone realized that decimals don't sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Can't have it both ways, sorry

Even the VGA Touch Diamond does not "display more info" despite the better resolution--it just looks better, much better and is easier on the eyes.

A square screen will always display less than a landscape--that's just the way it is, unless you make the fonts much smaller.

Using a freeware app like TodayAgenda, you can easily jam in tons of appointments on the Today screen by controlling the size of the font, amount of info to show, etc.

Currently I have SPB Phone Suite, MagiCall, Octro Talk and 4 appointments showing with room for another 2 or 3 easily.

For others, the benefit of 320x320 is mostly ease of reading and sharper looking text. "More screen real estate" is done via making the fonts smaller and optionally making the screen larger.

But it's all trade offs. The Mogul may be better for video, but who wants to hold their phone in landscape on the train like that for an hour? I've done it and it's very uncomfortable. I'd rather hold my Treo or Moto Q and watch it that way.
    I'm getting the Treo 800w soon and I've been wondering if it works well with Magicall. The 800w works pretty good with Magicall? Thanks