Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. dwg
    dwg is offline
    dwg's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #1  
    For those aware of the difficulty recording calls on the 700wx, I am wondering if there is any evidence that this will be improved upon. Worked great on my PalmOS 650

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    For those aware of the difficulty recording calls on the 700wx, I am wondering if there is any evidence that this will be improved upon. Worked great on my PalmOS 650

    Thanks!
    There are very few WM devices that full call Rec works on...not sure on the technical reasons, but most have trouble and I would bet the 800w is no different.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #3  
    I believe there are legal reasons call recording is crippled on WM devices. In the state of Washington, there are strict laws against this kind of stuff and Microsoft chose to play it safe.

    IIRC, that's why a 700p can record calls just fine while a 700wx with similar hardware cannot (without the speakerphone engaged).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I believe there are legal reasons call recording is crippled on WM devices. In the state of Washington, there are strict laws against this kind of stuff and Microsoft chose to play it safe.

    IIRC, that's why a 700p can record calls just fine while a 700wx with similar hardware cannot (without the speakerphone engaged).
    It's all about cost and effort. HTC is the single worst company around and didn't even care to include video drivers with their handsets. ETEN has full call recording on their WM phones.
  5. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #5  
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    No. The volume on the other side is barely audible.
  7. dwg
    dwg is offline
    dwg's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thanks for the input. Heres to hoping we are wrong.
  8. #8  
    I'd like to be surprised and have usable call recording on the 800w.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'd like to be surprised and have usable call recording on the 800w.
    Dont we all have wishful thinking?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  10. #10  
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/22/2008 at 12:46 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
  11. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #11  
    did you test it in speakerphone mode? does it work ? It didn't for me
  12. #12  
    Recordings on the 800w in general are not as loud as the 700wx.

    This, combined with the lack of any phone recording, ensures that I will not be surprised as I was hoping (see above).
  13. #13  
    I don't have a 800.
    but it seems to me if you can't record a phone call on speakerPhone then you shouldn't be able to record anything.

    What I mean is if you use a program like vito audio notes to record personal notes by just speaking to the phone, it should also work for recording what ever it hears - you and the sound coming out of the speaker.

    I am confused, try vito audio notes.
    make a note to self by just recording what you say. It records what it hears. now why can't it record what comes from the speaker of the phone ?
    Just call me Berd.
  14. #14  
    Has anyone tried vito audio notes?
    Remember - phone has to be in SpeakerPhone.
    Just call me Berd.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I don't have a 800.
    but it seems to me if you can't record a phone call on speakerPhone then you shouldn't be able to record anything.

    What I mean is if you use a program like vito audio notes to record personal notes by just speaking to the phone, it should also work for recording what ever it hears - you and the sound coming out of the speaker.

    I am confused, try vito audio notes.
    make a note to self by just recording what you say. It records what it hears. now why can't it record what comes from the speaker of the phone ?
    I tried Resco Audio Recorder and the Notes app. It seems recording is cut off entirely during calls. We can probably get around that with a registry hack. I'm back to hoping that call recording worked soooo well with the 800w, they had to disable it altogether just to keep MS happy.
  16. #16  
    It has nothing to do with MS. Plenty of WM phones have real call recording and it's perfectly legal in approx. 40 states.
  17. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #17  
    the problem is unique to treo 800w - recording completly shuts off during calls
  18. #18  
    That is not good news at all.
    I know many bring up possible legal issues, but I record conversation for memory purposes only. I have short term memory problems.
    The recording allows me to go back and refresh the conversation to myself.
    Even when it didn't record the other party it still helped, because in conversations I usually repeat back to the client important points so I was more apt to remember, and then I would also have a recording for review.

    Thanks again Palm, Ms, or Sprint, or whoever is to blame!

    I just hope this isn't also the case with the upcoming 850.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/24/2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added about upcoming 850
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #19  
    I dunno the reason why, but WM phones that can record calls can be counted on my right hand out of hundreds.

    there's a lot written on it, lots of developers have attempted to bypass, but none have been successful.

    I'm 98% sure you have to have very specific hardware and setup that is just not commonly used by OEMs/ODMs.

Posting Permissions