Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I'm on Sprint with a $99/everything plan. I've been carrying a 700wx since last year. For the last six or so months I've been craving a new phone. One without an antenna and one that has some of the newer smartphone features like threaded messaging, better calendar and contacts, less lockups, etc.

    Well problems solved.

    First thing I did was buy a short antenna for the 700wx. it's basically a flattened stub that replaces the 1/2" nub. Here's a few pics:
    http://mytreo.net/store/page.php?xPa...tml&xProd=1023

    Installation was simple and there has been no detectable reduction in call signal or quality. Overall, a nice mod. Recommended for the Treo Central store!

    Next up, I flashed my 700wx to Windows Mobile 6.1. The process was also a snap. I simply wiped my phone to factory defaults, format an SD card, drop the ROM software on the card, then boot from the card on the phone and let the self-install handle the rest. After about five minutes, my phone was ready for use again. All features worked perfectly. I was able to quickly connect to my Exchange server, re-sync all of my contacts and mail, checked out the new web browser, played with a few text messages, and reset my alarms.

    I especially loved the enhanced bluetooth. Now my in-car integrated bluetooth hands-free system displays, on the dashboard, battery life remaining, antenna signal and all incoming/outgoing caller id. Before it just said "Call" with a number if known. This was a really nice surprise!

    After running Windows Mobile 6.1 for over a week now, I have yet to crash or lockup the phone. With 5.0, this was a fairly routine experience. I've also noticed faster browsing and much better contact layouts. One particularly awesome function is the new contacts have individual call timers that show "last call" times, "total contact call" times and "overall phone times". This is a killer feature I've wanted for a long time.

    The only significant difference between the 800w and my phone now - that is the only missing feature that I truly care about - is GPS for use with Google Maps. Everything else the 800w does that I need, my 700wx now delivers. I can still use Google Maps, I just have to know where I am first.

    Come November, I'll probably jump ship for the Touch Pro and keep my ear to the ground for the much sexier 850. I love front-side keyboard dialing and I am definitely a Treo fan, but I am sorely disappointed with the 800w. The 850 looks great so I have hopes for that, but for me, right now, the Touch Pro is a sure thing.

    Hope this helps anyone else stuck in limbo with their perfectly functional 700wx's.
    Last edited by instill; 07/07/2008 at 01:10 AM.
  2. #2  
    where did u get the wm6.1 from?
  3. #3  
    Camera not as good, size not nearly as nice, GPS (as you mentioned), memory not there... I see virtually every other reason except for OS which wasn't a big deal to me in the first place.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    Camera not as good, size not nearly as nice, GPS (as you mentioned), memory not there... I see virtually every other reason except for OS which wasn't a big deal to me in the first place.
    I carry a Nikon P5100 for my quickshot/friends stuff. So far as I'm concerned, a camera phone is for insurance, evidence, emergencies, contacts, or other quick-grab functionality. The existing camera serves all of those things just fine and I never expected more out of it. Even with the 800w, I would still be using my P5100 for pics I really care about. My girlfriend always has her Elph on her too.

    Memory is no problem for me either as I've got a 2Gb SD card that I use to store all of my e-mail attachments and run installed programs off of (like Google Maps and other applications). I actually keep nothing on my phone memory itself. Also works great for me as I have a backup of the SD card so if I ever lose my phone, *shrug*.

    Size again is not an issue because we're talking millimeters.

    GPS really is the only significant feature that stands out in that list. With that, we both agree so...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by superman26 View Post
    where did u get the wm6.1 from?
    I'm a long-time lurker but first-time poster. However, I read the forum rules before posting and there is mention of not posting links to ROMs. I'm not sure if that includes official Windows Mobile software but I'm going to side with caution and assume it does. Out of respect for this forum and all members, please discover this information for yourself. I am only referring to the experience of working with Windows Mobile 6.1 here.

    Sorry/thank you!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by superman26 View Post
    where did u get the wm6.1 from?
    Quote Originally Posted by instill View Post
    I'm a long-time lurker but first-time poster. However, I read the forum rules before posting and there is mention of not posting links to ROMs. I'm not sure if that includes official Windows Mobile software but I'm going to side with caution and assume it does. Out of respect for this forum and all members, please discover this information for yourself. I am only referring to the experience of working with Windows Mobile 6.1 here.

    Sorry/thank you!


    Look at the first stickied post in the 700w\wx forums.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post


    Look at the first stickied post in the 700w\wx forums.
    Ah. Well there you go, superman26. Hope that helps.
  8. #8  
    eh. He is either using your modified rom ebag, or full of crap with 6.1.

    A long time lurker would have known roms have been posted all over the forums lately... lame excuse.
  9. #9  
    This thread is terrible.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  10. #10  
    I'm sorry... that's terrible. OnA reference.

    btw, I hope no one tries to bootload a cheetah rom because of this guy.
  11. #11  
    Instill, this post in the 700 forum would of been a better choice and gotten better feedback.

    Under the 800w forum, it's just not the place since there are people, myself included, who are excited and looking forward to this model.

    Glad to hear Window Mobile 6.1 is much better as I'll be coming from a Treo running PalmOS and was worried about crashing.

    Sprint has the 700wx for $199 and the 800w will be $249..so for 50 bucks, you get GPS, WiFi, with EVDO Rev A speeds - it's a deal. The 700wx with a WiFi card, the antenna you mention (which, btw, looks like an ugly decapitated body) alone puts it's at or past 250!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Instill, this post in the 700 forum would of been a better choice and gotten better feedback.

    Under the 800w forum, it's just not the place since there are people, myself included, who are excited and looking forward to this model.
    Truth.


    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Glad to hear Window Mobile 6.1 is much better as I'll be coming from a Treo running PalmOS and was worried about crashing.
    Using a WM6/6.1 hybrid on the 700wx really sets my mind at ease with it on the 800w. Considering that the custom ROM lacks a lot of Palm's back-end OS tweaks, I'm sure that the 800w will run even smoother.


    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Sprint has the 700wx for $199 and the 800w will be $249..so for 50 bucks, you get GPS, WiFi, with EVDO Rev A speeds - it's a deal. The 700wx with a WiFi card, the antenna you mention (which, btw, looks like an ugly decapitated body) alone puts it's at or past 250!
    I'm sure the price will drop on the 700wx once the 800w hits (or shortly thereafter). It wouldn't suprise me to see it drop to $150. Of course the carriers could simply stop selling them entirely and reserve the remaining stocks for replacement units.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    eh. He is either using your modified rom ebag, or full of crap with 6.1.

    A long time lurker would have known roms have been posted all over the forums lately... lame excuse.
    Darth Pooh, I can't understand your cynicism. I've been lurking in the 800 and 850 forums for many, many months waiting for the latest Treos. I got turned onto updating my phone from a friend that helped out with the process. Truth be told, I never forayed into any of the other forums as they just aren't what I come here for.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Instill, this post in the 700 forum would of been a better choice and gotten better feedback.
    I appreciate that thought but I was looking to get my 700wx to have long enough legs to be as 800w-like as possible. As the OS on the phone is the same as the 800w and the motivation behind changing up my phone was the 800w, I thought it would fit here a bit better. Plus, as I said above, I only come here for the 800 and now 850 boards.

    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Under the 800w forum, it's just not the place since there are people, myself included, who are excited and looking forward to this model.
    Don't get me wrong! I'm excited for the new Treos too. I'm just very disappointed at the look of the 800 vs the 850 and from what I've been reading here for months, most of us feel the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Glad to hear Window Mobile 6.1 is much better as I'll be coming from a Treo running PalmOS and was worried about crashing.
    There are a few nags. Namely, the text messaging window is a bit cluttered and graphics use a bit more real estate that I would have liked. But getting messages to stack in order is very cool. Also, the bluetooth auto-connect stuff is a few menus too deep for my liking. I routinely switch bluetooth on/off for my in-car if I have passengers. But those trivial personal issues aside, it's a terrific little operating system! As I said, no crashes or lockups since I've installed it. If stability is your main concern, I think you'll be happy!

    Applications I've installed (if this helps at all):
    - Google Maps
    - LogMeIn

    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Sprint has the 700wx for $199 and the 800w will be $249..so for 50 bucks, you get GPS, WiFi, with EVDO Rev A speeds - it's a deal. The 700wx with a WiFi card, the antenna you mention (which, btw, looks like an ugly decapitated body) alone puts it's at or past 250!
    At that price, sure! But when I called Sprint to ask about an 800w upgrade, they said I'd be paying full price or maybe getting $50 off as I'm already under contract and it doesn't expire for another six months. That really changes things up for me and a lot of other people I'd bet.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by instill View Post
    Darth Pooh, I can't understand your cynicism. I've been lurking in the 800 and 850 forums for many, many months waiting for the latest Treos. I got turned onto updating my phone from a friend that helped out with the process. Truth be told, I never forayed into any of the other forums as they just aren't what I come here for.
    How can you not understand my cynicism? You haven't even given us pictures... all you posted was how you have 6.1 on your wx. So, with your first post, I am supposed to believe you?!

    I am willing to bet, your friend has put Ebag's rom on your phone.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    How can you not understand my cynicism? You haven't even given us pictures... all you posted was how you have 6.1 on your wx. So, with your first post, I am supposed to believe you?!

    I am willing to bet, your friend has put Ebag's rom on your phone.
    Never mind that fact that at at some point real soon someone here is going to actually get an 800w into their hands. Your thread is "700wx to 800w: Done" as if to say the ESN swap is complete and the 800 is available. I got excited when I saw the topic only to be completely dissapointed.

    Bottom line is that you are using a 700wx, post in that forum.

    -Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  17. #17  
    I appreciated this post. I am trying to decide if I should update and this helps me with the decision making process. I too am currently running 700wx.

    Thanks for posting.
  18. pdawg17's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    #18  
    Why is it so hard for this guy to clarify that he is using ebag's wm6 ROM? Let's get this thread over with...
  19. #19  
    I think it is because he doesn't know where it came from... his friend did all of the "haXor" work for him.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I think it is because he doesn't know where it came from... his friend did all of the "haXor" work for him.
    Mostly true. He gave me an SD card with the software on it and I walked through the install, which was a piece of cake. I checked out the ROM thread in the other forum and I don't understand the confusion. It doesn't sound like I'm the only one running a different OS.

Posting Permissions