Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Can I assume this renewed your two-year commitment?
    Yes, I did. Sprint treats me good, but the limits of their generousity have some boundries.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So is it possable to just activate a new line of service, send in the $100 MIR and then after the 30 days just cancel the account and pay the $175 ETF for a total of ~$425-ish?
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Do one of you mind posting your email that you sent to ecare? I am curious as to what your wording was.
    I didn't keep the email but long enough to see the deal thru; however I just laid out my situation and asked for what would essentially be a new subscriber pricing. Ecare advised me to purchase the phone, activate it and they would credit the differences, which as I said they did within 4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Do one of you mind posting your email that you sent to ecare? I am curious as to what your wording was.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman1 View Post
    I didn't keep the email but long enough to see the deal thru; however I just laid out my situation and asked for what would essentially be a new subscriber pricing. Ecare advised me to purchase the phone, activate it and they would credit the differences, which as I said they did within 4 hours.
    Note that Sprint is *REALLY* cracking down on what and how much they give away.

They are removing many discounts (including cleaning up ones that shouldn't have been on there in the first place). Three e-mails to e-care probing the waters have resulted in three reps replying with no budging on discounts/terms/etc.

As I understand it, Retentions is really the only group left that has some flexibility, but even there Sprint has seen crackdowns.

While a lot of people complain about it, I don't really mind too much. Sprint has been giving the farm away for years, and they need to stop doing that in order to survive. I'm perfectly content with my bill going up $10-20 if it makes the difference between Sprint being around and me having to go through the hassle of finding a new carrier.

Not to mention that even if my plan went up $30-50, it'd still be FAR cheaper than any other carriers around here (at least the national ones, the local ones have cheaper plans but I refuse to be tethered here).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    So is it possable to just activate a new line of service, send in the $100 MIR and then after the 30 days just cancel the account and pay the $175 ETF for a total of ~$425-ish?
    Actually it's $200 for ETF now. So it would be around $450 ish. Sell your current device? I am planning to buy the Treo for about $0. Gonna sell my Mogul, I have a LG Rumor on Ebay right now, sold a Sanyo 8400 last week. I think I will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Note that Sprint is *REALLY* cracking down on what and how much they give away.
    Maybe so, but it is standard policy to give new customer pricing on handsets to out of contract customers. Not just Sprint policy but industry policy. Otherwise they would increase churn.

Customer acquisition costs run over $300, about $15 of which is phone subsidy (yep there was recent congressional hearings on ETF that revealed a number of about $14). The rest is marketing and overheads. It is well worth it to offer a net savings of $200 to a customer just to stay.

Also misunderstood is the value of SERO customers. SERO is a viral marketed plan with almost no acquisition costs. In return Sprint gets to reduce its infrastructure overheads and reduce completions' customer base. These factors have intrinsic values even if monthly fees return is low.

So customers out of contract who have been prompt payers of their bills can easily expect to get this handset for whatever the new customer discounted price comes to.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    So customers out of contract who have been prompt payers of their bills can easily expect to get this handset for whatever the new customer discounted price comes to.
    Promt payment is key here; I think I've been late twice, and by no more than a day or two.

Its much easier to get some "sugar" this way. In fact my account standing and length of time with Sprint has been mentioned more than once by Sprint reps when asking for some consideration. To quote one rep "oh my, you have been a good customer for quite some time haven't you" which made me laugh out loud.
    Note that Sprint is *REALLY* cracking down on what and how much they give away...As I understand it, Retentions is really the only group left that has some flexibility, but even there Sprint has seen crackdowns...
    Does Sprint retentions have an e-mail address?! What is retentions phone number?
    Last edited by KevMeister; 07/07/2008 at 09:52 PM.
    I've read on other threads that some people were able to finagle 10% off their total bill whilst upgrading. How many people here have done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Maybe so, but it is standard policy to give new customer pricing on handsets to out of contract customers. Not just Sprint policy but industry policy. Otherwise they would increase churn.
    I don't disagree. But I don't think they should be giving full $150 discounts to customers who bought a phone 2 months ago, either. That's just simply no way to run a business.

I believe that Sprint's offers of $75 after a year and $150 after two years is extremely fair, and is more generous than other offers I've heard over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Does Sprint retentions have an e-mail address?! What is retentions phone number?
    No e-mail address. Dial *2 and tell Claire "Cancel my service". You *MAY* get routed to a regular rep first.

WARNING: Don't abuse the retentions line. There are some people (*cough*SprintUsers*cough*) who tend to abuse retentions. They are a big part of the reason why Sprint is cracking down so much.

"Yeah, I have 1000 minutes through SERO for $30, unlimited texting for $3, nights starting at 7 for free, and data for $5. What I want is to add a 10% loyalty discount, a 20% employee discount, a 5% business partner discount....oh and make that nights starting at 6 for free."

Seriously, if you have a nice plan, don't ask for more. These days it will simply get you a nasty note on your account, and once you get that your chances of getting anything are pretty much shot. Basically if what you got is less than the current pricing, be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I've read on other threads that some people were able to finagle 10% off their total bill whilst upgrading. How many people here have done this?
    See above.

To answer, though, IIRC it was a 10% loyalty discount. I do not believe Sprint is offering this any more. They've greatly reduced the number of discounts that are even in the system, and pretty much only retentions can offer them.

Oh, and as a side note, I've read/heard stories of several people who have been called on their bluff to cancel service. So if you play that card, be prepared to do it.
    Oh, and as a side note, I've read/heard stories of several people who have been called on their bluff to cancel service. So if you play that card, be prepared to do it.
    Firing the customer is a service industry trend but it isn't done without reason.

You have to know what to expect, and most people already have soem of the information. Have they been late with their bills? Are they getting over 40% off? Have they calling for minute credits?

Companies like sprint track a customers profitability with a customer value algorthym. It almost certainly is in front of a rep you are talking to. It gives mathematical wieght to leghth of term, timeliness of bill payment, sprint's credit rating of you, and a lot of wight to the profitability of your account.

But at any given period their is also corporate policy on how much to give. We've heard a lot here, mostly by low level employees, on Sprint removing discounts, but there is the other side of the coin, Sprint cannot afford to lose any more customers. Even less profitable customers, and even customers who pay under a brighline determination of profitablity, have value to a company in a competative business.

Churn and customer loss are the numbers all industry analysts cite in the very first sentence of any discussion of Sprint.

So I retierate my resposne to the main question, based on my Sprints track record, its current situation and, to be frank, an informed understanding of the real cost of handsets, even smart ones -- a customer who has paid on time and is out of contract is going to be able to get this, and any handset for the price a new customer gets.
    Related article on Sprint's Re-org:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/te..._r=1&th&emc=th
    I don't disagree. But I don't think they should be giving full $150 discounts to customers who bought a phone 2 months ago, either. That's just simply no way to run a business.

I believe that Sprint's offers of $75 after a year and $150 after two years is extremely fair, and is more generous than other offers I've heard over the years.

No e-mail address. Dial *2 and tell Claire "Cancel my service". You *MAY* get routed to a regular rep first.

WARNING: Don't abuse the retentions line. There are some people (*cough*SprintUsers*cough*) who tend to abuse retentions. They are a big part of the reason why Sprint is cracking down so much.

"Yeah, I have 1000 minutes through SERO for $30, unlimited texting for $3, nights starting at 7 for free, and data for $5. What I want is to add a 10% loyalty discount, a 20% employee discount, a 5% business partner discount....oh and make that nights starting at 6 for free."

Seriously, if you have a nice plan, don't ask for more. These days it will simply get you a nasty note on your account, and once you get that your chances of getting anything are pretty much shot. Basically if what you got is less than the current pricing, be happy.

See above.

To answer, though, IIRC it was a 10% loyalty discount. I do not believe Sprint is offering this any more. They've greatly reduced the number of discounts that are even in the system, and pretty much only retentions can offer them.

I'll dial #2, but I won't say "Cancel my service". Too harsh. I'll say "Thinking of upgrade: or "customer service" or "Questions on account.

Anyways, I've been getting alot of calls from Sprint about about once a month on offers for being such a good customer. I'm tempted to wait until I get a call from them first. My philosophy is: Let them come to me . Good strategy, eh?

PM sent as well.
    [QUOTE=KevMeister;1457744]I'll dial #2, but I won't say "Cancel my service". Too harsh. I'll say "Thinking of upgrade: or "customer service" or "Questions on account. QUOTE]

That should work.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12