1. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Other then to play with it, what are the real advantages of upgrading?

I ask for two reasons... One, I currently have a 700wx and am considering flashing the it with WM6 as I love to play with this crap, but I really don't want to brick my phone. I have the insurance but I just got a new one so if I break it soon, they'll suspect something...

Second, I'll probably upgrade to the 800w when it comes out assuming it's pretty cool, which I think it will be but wondered really what I'm getting by upgrading. Honestly, the GPS is enough for me with the 800 but I'd like to know about the OS things...

The things I would like...

1. A better web browser. PIE is ok, but doesn't work on all things. A flash player integrated into the browser that could play the streaming audio and video out there would be great. Exist in WM6? 6.1?

2. A better windows media player. One that played DIVX and XVID well would be awesome, but I aint holding my breath. Core works alright but is there better for WM6, 6.1?

Honestly, other then that I'm not really sure what else I'd need. Smarter a2dp support would be nice... I'd like my phone to still ring audibly if I have an a2dp headset paired, possible?

That's about it, any distinct advantages people can point out or point me to a thread in the right direction would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    I personally love the typing search through emails and the exchange search. You can just start typing while in outlook and it searches like wmp11 in vista does. Also, you can do a search on the server which prevents you from needing to store all your emails on the phone.
    Of course you need an exchange server to get these advantages.
    There's some nice posts on WMExperts about whats included in WM6 that's not in WM5.

Note that the WM6 ROM we're dealing with has a lot of legacy crap in it, so it's not true WM6. Not to mention I've backported a lot of WM6.1 stuff (such as bluetooth drivers), which makes it even more of an odd beast.
    don't worry about "bricking"; it's barely a risk and not more "dangerous" than a normal rom update.

advantages?

- html email
    - better outlook
    - better calendar
    - better call history
    - better BT
    - nicer graphics

disadvantages?

none I can really think of...
  5. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Well, I went and did it... WM6testing2 (I need the activesync working)

Flashing went fine...

I'll post my thoughts in the other thread after I've had a chance to play with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    disadvantages?

none I can really think of...
    Slower than WM5. Definatly a disadvantage in my book.

You also can't cram as much into the ROM without killing the speed of the OS (hence why OneNote Mobile and Power Point are gone in my Testing 3+ ROM's).

But, whatcha gonna do. Heck, as soon as I saw that the 6.1 bluetooth drivers fixed my bt pairing problems, I knew I wouldn't be going back to WM5. Now I'm glad I made the switch.
    What exactly is better about the improved MS Outlook in WM6? The one thing that would make me upgrade would be support for flagging emails, is that available? What about reminders, can you sent reminders for flagged items?
    Yes. You can set, clear, and complete flags on emails. I dont see anywhere to set a reminder though.
    for me 2003SE was better than wm5 and 6. the two and half years I had the PPC6601 I never had any bluetooth problems and the third party programs I have cured any missing features.

I would keep my 700wx though if I could get the 320x320 screen retrofitted and the bluetooth fixed.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    lol, eBags is super sensitive about the WM6 speed; true it is a tiny bit slower on some things, faster on others but it's not a huge difference and most won't notice I would think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, eBags is super sensitive about the WM6 speed; true it is a tiny bit slower on some things, faster on others but it's not a huge difference and most won't notice I would think...
    Lots of people have complained about the WM6 speed. Of course some have complained about the WM5 speed too, heh.

It's irritating for me to have 5 megs free...and not be able to fill it up because if I do the speed drops off rapidly.

Oh well.

Incidentally, we've had at least one post of someone with a 700w with WM6 on it, and was quite happy with the speed. I think it just all depends on what you're willing to put up with.

But don't listen to me. I used Win2k until well after XP service pack 2 because I hated how slow XP was.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Ebag333;1456736]There's some nice posts on WMExperts about whats included in WM6 that's not in WM5.

can you post the links that list the differences between the two?

Thanks!
    were i can found a update for my treo 700xw to WM6 ? IAM W/CENTENIAL PRPRPR $COMPANEY$
    Quote Originally Posted by prngram View Post
    were i can found a update for my treo 700xw to WM6 ? IAM W/CENTENIAL PRPRPR $COMPANEY$
    Read the first stickied thread on this forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    I personally love the typing search through emails and the exchange search. You can just start typing while in outlook and it searches like wmp11 in vista does. Also, you can do a search on the server which prevents you from needing to store all your emails on the phone.
    Of course you need an exchange server to get these advantages.
    I'm using mail2web.com hosted exchange, are you saying that I can search my inbox on the exchange server from my Treo? Please, let me in on the secret.

Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Yes. You can set, clear, and complete flags on emails. I dont see anywhere to set a reminder though.
    And, pray tell, how do you do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    I'm using mail2web.com hosted exchange, are you saying that I can search my inbox on the exchange server from my Treo? Please, let me in on the secret.

And, pray tell, how do you do this?
    With the email selected on the main screen, hit menu, followup...
    The option is only available with exchange accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    I'm using an Exchange account and do not have this option. Is it limited to 2k7, maybe? My Exchange account is on a 2k3 server.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    As stated, I'm using mail2web.com for an exchange account, and this doesn't work. Could it be that they somehow have this option locked out? As well as searching my emails on the server?