1.    #1  
    I have been waiting for EVDO in my area for over a year now. Sprint finally signed a contract with nTelos in my area to provide EVDO services.

I have tried to get a PRL update to allow me to roam on those towers (as my other friends with sprint are able to), but every attempt has been unsuccessful.

What I have tried:
    - Over The Air update by calling *2...says it is complete, nothing changes.
    - Hard resets
    - Updated my phone to Sprint 1.15 (this bumped my PRL from 20224 to 20227...not far enough)
    - I have tried deleting my PRI profile and running the vision services setup again.

I have even tried to take it to a Sprint repair store, which told me their machine was down. The nearest one to me other than that one is 45 minutes away...I called them and they *assured* me that they know of no service centers that can do a PRL update.

I'm really frusturated.

Does anyone know of a way to install an updated PRL manually on a treo 700wx?
    I've always gotten it to work by callin *2, saying 'PRL update', then telling the CSR to flag my account for a prl update. After they are done, hang up, call *2 again, and you'll get the update. I think I have the latest: 20231.
    Sometimes I have to do a 'soft reset' after the update for it to show up correctly under phone settings screen.

Not sure a PRL update will get you what you want though....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini13 View Post
    I've always gotten it to work by callin *2, saying 'PRL update', then telling the CSR to flag my account for a prl update. After they are done, hang up, call *2 again, and you'll get the update. I think I have the latest: 20231.
    Sometimes I have to do a 'soft reset' after the update for it to show up correctly under phone settings screen.

Not sure a PRL update will get you what you want though....
    Yeah, their over-the-air updates are not working for me. I have called many times, it says it is "complete" everytime, but my PRL never changes.

I'm stuck at 20227.

The representatives I've talked to seem convinced that Sprint repair stores can do an "over the wire" PRL update. However, every repair store I have called has said that the only way they know is to call *2.

Every other person I know that uses sprint has EVDO now.

There has to be a way to do this manually...
  4.    #4  
    I found some information on CDMA Workshop...does anyone know whether it is possible to update this using it?
    [QUOTE=clifgriffin;1456179]Yeah, their over-the-air updates are not working for me. I have called many times, it says it is "complete" everytime, but my PRL never changes. ...QUOTE]

Have you taken out the battery? You must take out the battery for 30 seconds or so for the update to actually take effect.

I now have 2032.
    You can use ##DEBUG, EVDO to check what towers (in hex) your phone/PRL can see.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Just updated to 20232 by using the *2 method, ask for prl update, once csr has flagged your account for the update, hang up and *2 again. Update will then happen automatically. After hanging up again I had 20232 (no soft reset required).
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE=westronic;1456240]
    Quote Originally Posted by clifgriffin View Post
    Yeah, their over-the-air updates are not working for me. I have called many times, it says it is "complete" everytime, but my PRL never changes. ...QUOTE]

Have you taken out the battery? You must take out the battery for 30 seconds or so for the update to actually take effect.

I now have 2032.
    Dozens of times....

You can use ##DEBUG, EVDO to check what towers (in hex) your phone/PRL can see.
    What can I do with that info?
    Whats your NID/SID set to? (##MSL# where MSL is your actual 6 digit number, not literally MSL#)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Whats your NID/SID set to? (##MSL# where MSL is your actual 6 digit number, not literally MSL#)
    0 and 0 respectively.

Note: This may be because I just did an RTN and re-activated.
    0 and 0 respectively.

Note: This may be because I just did an RTN and re-activated.
    It is.

From another thread:

You need the home NID and SID.

Try a Home SID of 0, and a Home NID of 65535. I *THINK* those are "autoconfigure" settings.
    These settings worked for me. I played with a few SID's, they always broke it.
  12.    #12  
    I changed my Home NID...I can't tell anything different. Apparently many people in my area are unable to get OTA updates...which I think is either because the system is malfunctioning, or, possibly we are not allowed to get them while roaming and the coverage in my area is so bad that we are unable to get on an actual Sprint tower.

(Does that make any sense whatsoever?)
    Does sprint require your MSl to be "000000" like verizon to do OTA PRL updates?
    clifgriffin i have got the 20227 PRL. and i beleive i have a solution for you.

get the latest CDMAupdater.exe (i can attach if you need)

open it up. then hit the left soft key and choose sprint from the drop down menu. then check nvback and nvrestore make sure Firmware and ROm are not checked. and click update. this will back up your NV preform a PRL update and then restore your NV. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE SPRINT OPTION from the drop down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
    clifgriffin i have got the 20227 PRL. and i beleive i have a solution for you.

get the latest CDMAupdater.exe (i can attach if you need)

open it up. then hit the left soft key and choose sprint from the drop down menu. then check nvback and nvrestore make sure Firmware and ROm are not checked. and click update. this will back up your NV preform a PRL update and then restore your NV. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE SPRINT OPTION from the drop down.
    That will put the PRL back at an old version.

PRL shouldn't effect EVDO anyway for you. I have an ancient PRL and it picks up EVDO just fine, I notice zero difference (in the main area where I live) with a new PRL.
    That will put the PRL back at an old version.

PRL shouldn't effect EVDO anyway for you. I have an ancient PRL and it picks up EVDO just fine, I notice zero difference (in the main area where I live) with a new PRL.
    this method is how i got the Sprint 20227 PRL on my Treo i also flashed the verizon 50558 PRL i think thats the #'s
  17.    #17  
    Juggalo, I'm at 20227 right now. 20232 is where I need to be. Do you think there is a way to hijack CMDAUpdater.exe?

Ebag, PRL does affect EVDO coverage when the only EVDO coverage in your area is on nTelos towers.

Right now I have stopped trying to talk Sprint into helping my phone. After talking to the local Sprint stores, it is apparent that OTA updates are not working for my area at all. I am trying to get the issue escalated with Sprint.
    Juggalo, I'm at 20227 right now. 20232 is where I need to be. Do you think there is a way to hijack CMDAUpdater.exe?

Ebag, PRL does affect EVDO coverage when the only EVDO coverage in your area is on nTelos towers.

Right now I have stopped trying to talk Sprint into helping my phone. After talking to the local Sprint stores, it is apparent that OTA updates are not working for my area at all. I am trying to get the issue escalated with Sprint.
    inorder to add a different PRL to the CDMAUpdater.exe it would require some one with some skills. and a new MD5 check sum file would have to be generated as well.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    did u get this fixed? if not pm me with ur cell number and I know another way to flag ur account for a prl update