Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The buzz I'm reading over on sprintusers is that Sprint will be pushing new PDA accounts onto one of their more costly 'Simply Everything' plans (SEP) -- exactly like what they are doing now with the Instinct. Sprint is even following up with Instinct users that were somehow able to get their phones activated on a non-SEP plan and making them switch. Some folks have recently tried to order a Centro and are being told it needs to be on a SEP now. There's also discussion that new, more expensive SERO plans are to be rolled-out on July 13th -- same date as the 800w release. Sounds like Sprint's el-cheapo plans may soon be history.

Anyone here have the inside scoop?
    Cheap data is the only thing that has kept me with Sprint all these years. It will be time for me to fly if they do that.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    That would be a deal breaker for me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    The buzz I'm reading over on sprintusers is that Sprint will be pushing new PDA accounts onto one of their more costly 'Simply Everything' plans (SEP) -- exactly like what they are doing now with the Instinct. Sprint is even following up with Instinct users that were somehow able to get their phones activated on a non-SEP plan and making them switch. Some folks have recently tried to order a Centro and are being told it needs to be on a SEP now. There's also discussion that new, more expensive SERO plans are to be rolled-out on July 13th -- same date as the 800w release. Sounds like Sprint's el-cheapo plans may soon be history.

Anyone here have the inside scoop?
    That sounds like an absurd rumor. Sprint is having enough trouble as is.
  5.    #5  
    It's a fact that Sprint is requiring a SEP for the Instinct. I would not be surprised to see them do the same for PDA's -- same thing ATT does now. Here's a link with some of these 'rumors':

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=165677
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    It's a fact that Sprint is requiring a SEP for the Instinct. I would not be surprised to see them do the same for PDA's -- same thing ATT does now. Here's a link with some of these 'rumors':

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=165677
    no kidding but that's as a counter to the iphone and ATT.

do you see ATT trying to change its rate plans for its other phones? of course not (at least not yet)..unless I am missing info--Att is not trying to change is subscription plans for all its other pdas.

Sprint can and should try and get better phones and I think that will help their arpu numbers as they will have to discount less..i.e. less calls to retention etc.

but i think the rumor you made is absurd.
    Sprint is actively trying to convert everyone to SEP, which makes a lot of sense for them.

Simplifies everything, which means less calls with questions, less work on the backend (setup/support), easier to train CSR's....even if Sprint nets a loss (according to what I've read the average customer will save $5) by converting, they will more than make up for it with the savings on support/processing/selling/etc. It's an excellent way to streamline your business.

That being said, I doubt they're forcing people to switch. You're grandfathered in, so it's unlikely they'll make you drop the plan you have. But if you want to upgrade your phone, then many of the old plans are no longer supported (can't be added/entered in the new system) so you'll have to upgrade your plan too.

Oh, and SERO's not going away. And that's the king of "el-cheapo plans".
    The SEP plans are not as expensive as they might seem at first glance.

The totally unlimited plan is $99.99, which is the same price as SERO.

For 450 minutes/unlimited data & messaging, it's $69.99 vs. 500 minutes at $30 for SERO.

For 900 minutes/unlimited data & messaging, it's $89.99 vs. 1250 minutes at $49.99 with SERO.

SERO requires two-year agreement and a device purchase.

SEP requires to-year contract but existing agreements can be switched without a contract extension.

Looks like a significant savings with SERO unless you want unlimited phone minutes.

Unless you have an employee discount of some type. For me (and I suspect most companies with a Sprint discount) it's $52.49 instead of $69.99 and $67.49 instead of $89,99, though there is no discount on the $99.99 plan.

Interesting tidbit:

"Everything your phone, PDA or Smartphone can do nationwide — text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and, of course, talk — on one simple plan."

and yet:

"Phone as modem or tethering: not included."

and

"Call Forwarding: Forward incoming calls to the phone number you specify. ($0.20/minute)."

and

"Sprint 411: Access Directory Assistance. Just dial 411 from your Sprint or Nextel phone to get dinner reservations, movie listings, driving directions and more ($1.79/call, airtime charges also apply)."

So not quite everything in included in the rate.

For comparison:

Verizon:

Unlimited voice/data is $129.99
    1350 minutes = $109.99
    900 minutes = $99.99
    450 minutes = $79.99

plus $0.20 for messages received and $0.20 for messages sent or plus $20 more for unlimited messaging.

I am too lazy to look up other carriers - but Sprint is obviously way cheaper than Verizon, at least. To the tune of at least $30 to $50 per month cheaper!

Also, the Verizon employee discount (if you are fortunate enough to get this) is 20% vs. 25%, and, just like Sprint, no discount on the totally unlimited plan.

Sure, I'd like it to be cheaper even that this, but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Oh, and SERO's not going away. And that's the king of "el-cheapo plans".
    There is something fishy though.

The Instinct, even under SERO, does require the $99 plan and that is the only option for that device.

They've never done that before.

Sure, they've kept a new hot device off of SERO for a few weeks till the hype died down, but they never jacked up and limited the price like that on a new pda/smartphone type phone.

Perhaps it's just a one-time thing, but it could be a harbinger of things to come. We'll see when the next smartphone gets released, won't we?

Everyone has always scratched their head at how Sprint could keep their data plans so low--well, maybe they finally asked themselves the same thing

Really, at this point there is not much we can do but wait and see what happens.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    This is incredibly distressing. I've been waiting on the 800w to switch to SERO. At this point, should I sign up now while the getting is good with a 700wx and trade it in?
    What about those already on Sero, with a 755p, who now want to get the 800w and just switch it online ourselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    There is something fishy though.

The Instinct, even under SERO, does require the $99 plan and that is the only option for that device.

They've never done that before.

Sure, they've kept a new hot device off of SERO for a few weeks till the hype died down, but they never jacked up and limited the price like that on a new pda/smartphone type phone.
    Think about what the Instinct is designed for, though.

I recently went into the Sprint store to pump them for info on the 800w. One of the employees there was bragging about his Instinct he already had (this was pre-release). I think he was trying to sell me on it.

Anyway, he mentioned he didn't have it hooked up yet, and that he was waiting for his new plan to get setup. I asked him why, and he said (paraphrased) "Why would I hook it up? Everything it does is data related."

Even the "internet enabled" phones like the Treo's, BB's, HTC's, etc aren't really internet centric. Sure it's something they do, but how many of them natively support YouTube?

Take a phone that's designed with streaming audio and video in mind...and watch your "average" users data use skyrocket.

There's a reason why many (if not most) companies block or have a policy against streaming audio and video. Even on company paid broadband connections (which are often many times larger what we have at home, let alone what we have on our phones) just a couple of people streaming can eat up a large chunk of the availible bandwidth.

Streaming audio at 128 kb/s doesn't sound like much. Until you realize that 10 people doing it just killed an entire T-1. Now think video.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    This is incredibly distressing. I've been waiting on the 800w to switch to SERO. At this point, should I sign up now while the getting is good with a 700wx and trade it in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    What about those already on Sero, with a 755p, who now want to get the 800w and just switch it online ourselves?
    Too early to say and that's the big question.

The way some are making it sound is this:

You buy the phone and call to activate: rep tells you to switch to the SEP -- that you have to do so even if you are in contract.

Re: activating online, some in that thread are saying that when you do an ESN swap to one of those phones, your account will be flagged somehow and a chat window will pop up where you'll be asked to switch.

I have no idea if these situations are credible or not and if Sprint can make you switch to a specific plan for a non-subsidized phone. Seems odd to me...but then you have that Instinct situation.

Maybe someone can dig up a case where someone is on SERO and bought the Instinct in full (is that possible?) and did an online ESN swap?
    Think about what the Instinct is designed for, though.
    That's a possible theory.

Either way, it's a first on the SERO site and is odd nonetheless--especially since there is no advantage to a SERO plan with that device, not even a discount.

We'll just have to wait and see. It's certainly not far fetched that Sprint wants more people on SEP than SERO though.

WHat if you have 2 phones and your paying $79 ($115 with data/text) a month for the one phone and the 2nd phone is free. Now you would need 2 SEP and its $99 each (so $200 fr both) or can you get a SEP plan and still get the 2nd phone for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    WHat if you have 2 phones and your paying $79 ($115 with data/text) a month for the one phone and the 2nd phone is free. Now you would need 2 SEP and its $99 each (so $200 fr both) or can you get a SEP plan and still get the 2nd phone for free?
    For families, Simply Everything includes an incremental $5 discount for each incremental line, up to five lines on the same bill. For example, two lines would amount to $194.98 ($99.99 + $94.99); a third line would cost an additional $89.99.
    So it'd be more.

Re: activating online, some in that thread are saying that when you do an ESN swap to one of those phones, your account will be flagged somehow and a chat window will pop up where you'll be asked to switch.

I have no idea if these situations are credible or not and if Sprint can make you switch to a specific plan for a non-subsidized phone. Seems odd to me...but then you have that Instinct situation.

Maybe someone can dig up a case where someone is on SERO and bought the Instinct in full (is that possible?) and did an online ESN swap?
    I just did an ESN swap from my (currently broken) 700wx to my old 650. They wouldn't let me do it online and made me chat with a rep to do it. As there's no technical reasoning (both Sprint phones, heck the 650 was still provisioned!), I assume it's because Sprint doesn't like people downgrading, and wants to give a rep a chance to talk you into a new phone.

When (if) I get my 700wx working again, I can let you know if the allow the ESN swap to go through without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    So it'd be more.
    SEP doesn't allow multiple lines, so it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSprintRep
    Dear Uber ROMBuilder,

Thank you for contacting Sprint.

I understand you have a lot of concerns and I will try to address them
    to your satisfaction.

a. ) Simply Everything plans are individual plans and are not shareable.

All plans include:
    Domestic Unlimited Messaging (Text, Picture, Video, and Audio)
    Domestic Unlimited Direct Connect and Group Connect
    Domestic Nationwide Long Distance and No Roaming Charges
    Plans do not pool or share minutes.
    Call Forwarding is 20 cents per minute.
    The limit is determined by the customer's credit class.
    The overall savings will be $50.00 per 5 lines.
    Multi-Line discounts apply across device types.
    You can include iDEN, PowerSource, CDMA, and Nextel Direct Connect on
    Sprint (DCS) devices in the same group for multi-line discounts.
    Total Equipment Protection (TEP), ERP and ESRP are not included in the
    Simply Everything plans.
    Phone as Modem (PAM) is not included in the Simply Everything plans,
    and cannot be combined as an add-on.
    Two-year subscriber agreement required for new lines of service.
    Existing lines can switch to these plans without having to extend
    their contract.
    They may just be trying to simplify their pricing since those new plans are about the same price as their existing plans.
    I agree with the person who said this simplifies their customer questions etc.

I think this thread is blowing things way way way out of proportion.

they are not going to put everyone on 99 plans. and the other simply whatever plans are the same price anyway.

and whats the rumor that sero goes away on the 13th based on?

this smells like a lot of hot air.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Same thing I was thinking. But, if it turns out that Sprint requires that the 800w be on a SEP then, like the Instinct, it won't matter if you are doing an ESN swap, adding a new line, upgrading, exchanging, SERO, whatever -- it has to be on a SEP. Period.

When my Sprint contract recently expired I ported my # to a T-mo pay as you go phone with the intent of moving to a 3G iphone. Then I saw what the min monthly plan would cost for the iphone ($75+ w/200 SMS) and realized white a fool I would have to be to spend $500+ more/year (vs. $30+ SERO plan).

I want to port back into Sprint on a 800w $30 SERO plan. If it turns out that the min plan prices for the 800w get jacked up, then I guess the iphone 3G is still in play for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    they are not going to put everyone on 99 plans. and the other simply whatever plans are the same price anyway.
    It's actually $69 plans for 450 minutes with the Instinct, except on SERO where it is only the $99 plan available--go figure.

The $69 plan is the minimum on SEP and includes unlimited everything (relatively) except minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    and whats the rumor that sero goes away on the 13th based on?
    SERO is not going away.

The rumor simply states that new smartphones activated on new accounts or existing ones will have to go onto the Simply Everything Plans (starting at $69). Regular flip phones still get whatever the SERO plan is at the time/not effected.

If anyone remembers there was something similar when Vision went to PowerVision ($5 increase) and people switched devices.

Also, as Ebag states above, Sprint can certainly "flag" specific phones that are activated online, so the technology is there to enforce this.

BTW ebag: I did a Moto Q <--> Centro --> 700wx swap the other day, no issues.
    SEP doesn't allow multiple lines, so it's a moot point.
    Well, according to Sprint, they do as the terms I posted are from them.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/01/2008 at 08:30 PM.

WOAH. my $115 bill would jump to almost $200 . yikes. So if they require ths new plan when get my 800W im in trouble. Well my wifes phone has no data or anything so I guess I can get a $99 plan for me and the cheapest phone only plan for hers. Again YIKES.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast