Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It was actually meant as sarcasm but I wrote that heading out the door, so admittedly it's a bit hard to read it like that if you didn't know it was only like 2-3 days.

Actually, I'm sort of glad a bunch of sites ran it, including BGR, as it did get Sprint to clarify that they have no intentions of changing SERO anytime soon or making pda/smartphones go on special data plans--it's a lot better to have a company squash those rumors than let them persist "out there", no?

Plus, since it originated mostly from SprintUsers, the notion that it was "anti sprint" is a little hard to make, imo.

I don't really see how the rumor was "crap" personally. Sure, if it were just a few forum posts and that's it, it's a bit crazy. But when you factor in:
    • The Samsung Instinct costing more on SERO than non-SERO; can only be on SEP
    • Customers who bought the Instinct were forced off of SERO if they ESN swapped
    • The past history with Sprint with Vision vs Power Vision*
    • How other carriers do treat pda/smartphones differently
    • How Sprint is currently re-organizing themselves

...it was quite plausible and did beg the question: Is the Instinct an exception or precedent?

Having that answered, for myself at least, was important.

I really dig Sprint but one has to admit that sometimes their internal communications that end being relayed to the customer is sometimes contradictory e.g. you are not supposed to have corporate discounts on top of SERO, especially after being migrated to Ensemble--yet I still do. Or how if you are in-contract there is no way to switch you to SERo and if there is, CSAs are not supposed to--yet I have. Go figure.

Edit: Sprint is also evidently not allowing a rebate if you don't switch to SEP from your old plan; I think they've always done things like that but still a kicker for those on the old PowerVision plans eligible for rebates. We'll see how this plays out.

*For those who don't know/remember, when Sprint was rolling out 3g years ago, customers had "Vision" 1x data plans. Some were forced by CSAs to "upgrade" to PowerVision (their 3g data plan) just to activate their new 3g phone, even if they didn't have 3g coverage; yet others were "grandfathered" in, including myself.

For some, this was a $5 increase that they were not told about when the bought the phone. Others were misleadingly told that they needed to have the top PowerVision plans ($25) for smartphones, instead of the basic $15 one--also erroneous.

This wasn't really Sprint's official line but rather resulted from internal mis-communications and flat out confusion. Either way, it was hard to find out what the official policy was--hence why this seemed like a replay of that event.
    I agree their CSR and customer policies generally are horrible. They have not had any real management in a while so...what do you expect.
    And when I mean their CSRs are bad, I am pretty sure they are probably the worst in the United States.

but I love their network and up until a year ago they always had the best device. now there are just more gsm phones. with new phones I think their subscriber numbers will recover.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    but I love their network and up until a year ago they always had the best device. now there are just more gsm phones. with new phones I think their subscriber numbers will recover.
    Indeed. Although Verizon is playing hardball and may launch the Diamond before Sprint (has to do with Alltel merger); plus withe Q9 "Napolean" and BB touchscreen device, they seem to be nailing hybrid GSM/CDMA devices--something I want Sprint to get in on ASAP (the 800w should've been a world phone).

And to rehash this ongoing saga...
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru..._changing.html

At least that explains some of the hijinks going on and confusion.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    Two things

1) I see this plan increase that Sprint sees how much people like Blackberry and dont mind paying the extra 40 for the exclusive BB stuff. So they figure why not increase our plans since people dont mind paying extra for the BB

2) I think it would be wise for people(including me) to get a 700wx now and then try to upgrade at least. Worst comes to worse I still have a $30 bill right?
    I don't know about you but the $30 requirement for B'Berrys is exactly why I don't have a B'Berry.
    I like my grandfathered $10 Vision plan on my 700Wx just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I don't know about you but the $30 requirement for B'Berrys is exactly why I don't have a B'Berry.
    I totally agree. I was looking into the Instinct. They wanted me to change my plan which in the end would cost me $42 a month more. Why? If my employer paid for a BB plan I would have a Curve. However I'm my own boss and cannot justify the $30 a month extra for the service. I have Exchange push mail through 1and1.com for $4.95 a month. The service is solid and saves me $25 a month over a BB/RIM plan.

All I want is the the Treo 800w with my current plan and I will be real happy. My Mogul with 64MB of RAM is so slow that I'm wasting time everyday waiting for things to catch up with my hands. I love the phone but it really needed the 128MB of RAM. So here I wait for the 800w release.
    ... BB touchscreen device, they seem to be nailing hybrid GSM/CDMA devices--something I want Sprint to get in on ASAP (the 800w should've been a world phone).
    Sprint is killing itself with world travelers by not offering CDMA/GSM and WiFi in at least one premium handset. It seems you can only get one and not the other.

Picking up a cheap prepaid sim is easy in every corner of the globe, but you get raped on data (which is half the point of a smartphone) on prepaid overseas -- if you can get it -- a problem solved with wifi.
    I have no idea if these situations are credible or not and if Sprint can make you switch to a specific plan for a non-subsidized phone. Seems odd to me...but then you have that Instinct situation.
    There is a precedent: when the first powervision phones rolled out there was a sprint policy to move people off of vision to powervision. a lot of chaos ensued when people with unlimited free data and unlimited text messaging on their contract for free or for $5 across multiple lines were told they had to convert to $20 more in fees per line. They ended up giving everyone credits.

Clearly Sprint wants to try and move more fees in for data users, but the question arrises is the Instinct really that compelling? Sprint itself identfied it with the iPhone. with the new iPhone the Instinct looks like a distant also ran. Let's face it, prestige matters, branding matters. The coolest Casio watch with a zillion features is not a Rolex. The Instinct is not a "gotta have it device" and today's "wow factor" will be as attractive as yesterday's fish in a couple of months.

I think they will bend, GM can't price Saturn like BMW and Sprint can't price itself even near ATT without people saying, "then I will go to ATT and get the real thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

I think they will bend, GM can't price Saturn like BMW and Sprint can't price itself even near ATT without people saying, "then I will go to ATT and get the real thing."
    Can you elaborate on this "real thing" you speak of?

Besides a better variety of phones (Tilt >>>Mogul but doesn't have a front KB), I have little reason to leave Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Can you elaborate on this "real thing" you speak of?

Besides a better variety of phones (Tilt >>>Mogul but doesn't have a front KB), I have little reason to leave Sprint.
    I can elaborate with a thing called numbers and statistics. People are leaving Sprint. It has the highest churn in the industry, It has the highest customer loss in the industry. It freely admits it has the lowest customer satisfaction in the industry. Customer satisfaction has been dropping even with the new management team.

Customer satisfaction goes to service. So lower variety of phones, lower desirability of phones, and by every metric lower satisfaction with service.

LOL -- Since it well below the competition on the equipment and service What else is there exactly to give Sprint any competitive strength? Only price.

That is my point. Unless they can seriously compete with lower prices they are screwed.

They can't simply snap their fingers and go from a lower class high volume low fee model to a higher fee model without losing customers (the most profitable ones are the ones defecting!) dropping in economies of scale to a point where they will be toast.
    You can't argue with the hordes leaving Sprint.

But from my own experience:

I have done a 14-day trial on Verizon and on AT&T and their CS was abysmal.
    Sprint CS is awful too if you're talking to someone. I have an inbox of 25 email exchanges with Sprint eCare and each one was professionally handled. They may not have always been able to solve my issue, but they did not give wrong, clueless answers and always stuck by their promised service credits. All my interactions with Verizon or AT&T (even during my trial period) were fiascos filled with lies, including the cancellation process.

I personally could not care less what the masses of morons do, so long as Sprint remains financially stable by releasing toys like the Instinct. I have seen and used the real thing for years and I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I personally could not care less what the masses of morons do, so long as Sprint remains financially stable by releasing toys like the Instinct. I have seen and used the real thing for years and I like it.
    I would just like to point out that the masses leaving are not morons, but large business customers, of whom Sprint has the lowest percentage.

I use Sprint. But my wife and I are both in small business we do so because of the price.

In terms of the Instinct time will tell. I don't see any compelling reason to think of that device as something that will be hot for a couple of months and which has no long prprpr $medium$ $tail$. $I$ $am$ $sure$ $there$ $are$ $forums$ $where$ $this$ $has$ $been$ $discussed$ $more$ $in$ $depth$, $but$ $you$ $are$ $talking$ $about$ $a$ $device$ $for$ $which$ $the$ $third$ $party$ $apps$ $picture$ $is$ $bleak$ ($even$ $the$ $follow$ $on$, $the$ $Omnia$ $uses$ $a$ $different$ $OS$), $and$ $which$ $Sprint$ $idiotically$ $tied$ $to$ $and$ $compares$ $directly$ $to$ $the$ $iPhone$, $inviting$ $laughs$ $and$ $scorn$. $It$ $is$ $a$ $nice$ $device$, $but$ $by$ $putting$ $it$ $side$ $by$ $side$ $with$ $the$ $iPhone$, $something$ $that$ $has$ $a$ $massive$ $brand$ $prestige$, $they$ $harmed$ $it$.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I would just like to point out that the masses leaving are not morons, but large business customers, of whom Sprint has the lowest percentage.

I use Sprint. But my wife and I are both in small business we do so because of the price.

In terms of the Instinct time will tell. I don't see any compelling reason to think of that device as something that will be hot for a couple of months and which has no long prprpr $medium$ $tail$. $I$ $am$ $sure$ $there$ $are$ $forums$ $where$ $this$ $has$ $been$ $discussed$ $more$ $in$ $depth$, $but$ $you$ $are$ $talking$ $about$ $a$ $device$ $for$ $which$ $the$ $third$ $party$ $apps$ $picture$ $is$ $bleak$ ($even$ $the$ $follow$ $on$, $the$ $Omnia$ $uses$ $a$ $different$ $OS$), $and$ $which$ $Sprint$ $idiotically$ $tied$ $to$ $and$ $compares$ $directly$ $to$ $the$ $iPhone$, $inviting$ $laughs$ $and$ $scorn$. $It$ $is$ $a$ $nice$ $device$, $but$ $by$ $putting$ $it$ $side$ $by$ $side$ $with$ $the$ $iPhone$, $something$ $that$ $has$ $a$ $massive$ $brand$ $prestige$, $they$ $harmed$ $it$.
    While I tend to agree with the logic behind your assesent, the fact is that the last time I checked the Instinct was on backorder. So people are ordering it, and its expensive plans.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    ok, here's the dealio

I don't think it's a huge matter of concern specifically regarding the treo 800w.

Why?

The Instinct was a heavily subsidized product they first released it. It's targeting the Generation Y or whatever you call them these days because these are the young, hip, mostly working class individuals who could not only crave unlimited but can afford it.

Although I have never heard the Centro requiring SEP, the Centro is also a Palm device that's targeting the lay person.

It's not going to be a requirement for the Treo 800w because one:

1. Mainly focuses on business, corporate users who only really need unlimited Power Vision (and not even that, given the phone has wifi)
    2. It's price will not be heavily subsidized like that of the Instinct

This is all speculation, but another user group Sprint risks alienating if it requires EP for all forthcoming smartphones are the '3-5 line' family plan customers who switched carriers to sprint in the first place because of Sprint's versatility and relatively inexpensive plans vs. other carriers.

I could, however, see all future Blackberries requiring EP because Blackberry internet alone is so expensive anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by saqer View Post
    This is all speculation, but another user group Sprint risks alienating if it requires EP for all forthcoming smartphones are the '3-5 line' family plan customers who switched carriers to sprint in the first place because of Sprint's versatility and relatively inexpensive plans vs. other carriers.

I could, however, see all future Blackberries requiring EP because Blackberry internet alone is so expensive anyways.
    First off, the SEP plans are not designed for families. They are designed for the large groups of people who have one or at most two lines and they want the lines on an individual plan for various reasons. Sprint's actually rolling out some new family plans (which I'll be looking into as even with my extremely nice (old Retentions) plan the new ones might be as good).

Secondly, Blackberries have a seperate fee for their use, which covers the expensive propriatary software crap that Sprint has to use, license, and is passing on the fee for. So there's no real business need to require SEP for any Blackberries, as most Blackberry users (in my personal experience) use extremely little internet, but lots of phone calls, e-mails, and some texting. (It's the e-mails that BB's primarily are built for and around.)

The Instinct is designed for internet use pure and simple. Streaming media, video, pictures, news, webpages, etc. Thats the primary focus of it, which is incredibly bandwidth hungry compared to the BB (primarily e-mails) or even the Treo's. And that, to me, is why the Instinct requires the higher SEP plan while the other phones don't.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I had that plan, but they booted me from it when I got the 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    While I tend to agree with the logic behind your assesent, the fact is that the last time I checked the Instinct was on backorder. So people are ordering it, and its expensive plans.
    No. That is likely an intentional market hype. There is no evidence that it is selling very well. All my local stores (NVa) have it in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I had that plan, but they booted me from it when I got the 700P.
    Wow you have to be the only one! You should have read up on any number of forums (howard, sprintusers) at the time (late spring 06). people with grandfathered vision at $10, $ and even $0 (mine was $0 as I had had free wireless web with unlimited text) all got powervision for the same price as we had been paying for vision!

First they gave a recurring credit, then created a free casual evdo code.

Be an educated buyer. This issue and how Sprint in fact did relent and transfer vision to PV for the prior fee was all over the forums in June of 06 after the Treo 700p release.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234