Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    Two things

1) I see this plan increase that Sprint sees how much people like Blackberry and dont mind paying the extra 40 for the exclusive BB stuff. So they figure why not increase our plans since people dont mind paying extra for the BB

2) I think it would be wise for people(including me) to get a 700wx now and then try to upgrade at least. Worst comes to worse I still have a $30 bill right?
    You and I are of a mind, sir or madam. Now if only I could find out about porting my number....
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    You and I are of a mind, sir or madam. Now if only I could find out about porting my number....
    I just called the SERO line (888-882-4030) to ask some questions about the rumored SERO/PDA rate changes (the guy said he hadn't heard anything and he'd be very surprised if SERO changed just a month after the other big plan changes . . . he said that he thinks they would've done the changes in synch), and I also asked about porting. After admitting that the online porting system didn't really work well, he recommended that if I order a phone online, just ask for a new number, and after I receive the phone and everything checks out, call them to port my existing number to the new phone. Or, they would work with me to set a date where the porting would occur - if I ordered today, they would set a date next week for the porting to occur.

He said the main concern was that I had the new phone in hand when they switched the numbers so that I wouldn't have a gap in service. Still doesn't answer why your number wouldn't be portable in the first place, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    I just called the SERO line (888-882-4030) to ask some questions about the rumored SERO/PDA rate changes (the guy said he hadn't heard anything and he'd be very surprised if SERO changed just a month after the other big plan changes . . . he said that he thinks they would've done the changes in synch), and I also asked about porting. After admitting that the online porting system didn't really work well, he recommended that if I order a phone online, just ask for a new number, and after I receive the phone and everything checks out, call them to port my existing number to the new phone. Or, they would work with me to set a date where the porting would occur - if I ordered today, they would set a date next week for the porting to occur.
    That's good news. Phonenews.com said that they weren't able to get SERO with a PDA yesterday, but at least you can do so now. With all this conflicting information, it's hard to decide what to do. I don't want to go through the hassle of a phone swap, but I'd hate to get stuck on a double-the-price plan if I wait until the 800w is available! Sign up for SERO with a 700wx or a Mogul now? Decisions, decisions....
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    That's good news. Phonenews.com said that they weren't able to get SERO with a PDA yesterday, but at least you can do so now. With all this conflicting information, it's hard to decide what to do. I don't want to go through the hassle of a phone swap, but I'd hate to get stuck on a double-the-price plan if I wait until the 800w is available! Sign up for SERO with a 700wx or a Mogul now? Decisions, decisions....
    I'm in the same boat . . . the attitude that I'm taking is to pick a phone that I know I'll be able to live with in the event that the SERO plans go haywire. Trouble is that their non-BB PDA selections aren't the best at the moment. I wish the Q9c was still available.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    I'm in the same boat . . . the attitude that I'm taking is to pick a phone that I know I'll be able to live with in the event that the SERO plans go haywire. Trouble is that their non-BB PDA selections aren't the best at the moment. I wish the Q9c was still available.
    Even their Blackberry selection is down -- no Curve at the moment. My thought at this second: Order a Mogul or 700wx, try to swap it out for the 800w upon release. If they won't allow that, tell them to take a flying leap and go to another carrier.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    You should have absolutely no problem getting a Mogul or 700wx with SERO now and swapping it out for the 800w as long as it's within 30 days. If they ask you to switch out of your SERO plan when you attempt to switch, you can easily just cancel within the 30 days if they won't budge.

I can't help you with your porting issues though - I'm not sure why your number can't be ported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I just did an ESN swap from my (currently broken) 700wx to my old 650. They wouldn't let me do it online and made me chat with a rep to do it. As there's no technical reasoning (both Sprint phones, heck the 650 was still provisioned!), I assume it's because Sprint doesn't like people downgrading, and wants to give a rep a chance to talk you into a new phone.

When (if) I get my 700wx working again, I can let you know if the allow the ESN swap to go through without trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Also, as Ebag states above, Sprint can certainly "flag" specific phones that are activated online, so the technology is there to enforce this.

BTW ebag: I did a Moto Q <--> Centro --> 700wx swap the other day, no issues.

I *FINALLY* recovered my phone, so I did the swap today.

Going from 650 to 700 went through with no problems.

Makes me suspect either:

1) Older phones have issues with the online ESN swap (possible, since they relied more on manual provisioning).

2) Sprint doesn't want you to downgrade (700 -> 650 is pretty clearly a downgrade, Moto Q <--> Centro --> 700wx isn't).

Oh well, I'm just glad I got my phone up again!
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    You should have absolutely no problem getting a Mogul or 700wx with SERO now and swapping it out for the 800w as long as it's within 30 days. If they ask you to switch out of your SERO plan when you attempt to switch, you can easily just cancel within the 30 days if they won't budge.

I can't help you with your porting issues though - I'm not sure why your number can't be ported.
    It looks like I could even do an exchange at a Sprint store, according to the SlickDeals master thread on all things SERO. Full retail price of the 800w is going to be $599, and we're expecting after rebates and discounts to be $249?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    It's actually hit or miss at retail stores. Sometimes they want nothing to do with you when they see that you're on SERO. I've been pretty lucky myself but I have heard of other people having problems at Sprint stores. As long as you can figure out your porting issue (maybe it's related to your address?), get yourself on SERO with either the Mogul or 700 and you can worry about the swap later. The $249 sounds about right (someone in retentions told me that price as well) but we won't know for sure until the actual release date.
    Sprint officially responded to this ridiculous rumor --denying it and also confirming there would be no change to the plan in the future.

chris price posted it in his blog--trying not to look like an *****.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    It's actually hit or miss at retail stores. Sometimes they want nothing to do with you when they see that you're on SERO. I've been pretty lucky myself but I have heard of other people having problems at Sprint stores. As long as you can figure out your porting issue (maybe it's related to your address?), get yourself on SERO with either the Mogul or 700 and you can worry about the swap later. The $249 sounds about right (someone in retentions told me that price as well) but we won't know for sure until the actual release date.
    The SERO CS guy that I spoke to earlier today said that SERO returns/exchanges should be done via mail, not in stores. Party line, I guess. But I've heard the same from others that some stores will handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Sprint officially responded to this ridiculous rumor --denying it and also confirming there would be no change to the plan in the future.

Phew- ludicrous from the beginning but...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Actually I would suggest its because you went from a Power Vision EVDO phone (700) to regular Vision (650(. Its a different internet code so not just a plain ESN swap.

I *FINALLY* recovered my phone, so I did the swap today.

Going from 650 to 700 went through with no problems.

Makes me suspect either:

1) Older phones have issues with the online ESN swap (possible, since they relied more on manual provisioning).

2) Sprint doesn't want you to downgrade (700 -> 650 is pretty clearly a downgrade, Moto Q <--> Centro --> 700wx isn't).

Oh well, I'm just glad I got my phone up again!

There is no mention of increased SERO prices in this update. This is about blocking PDA's on Sero. Our issue is increased SERO prices.

Who cares about a PDA or any Sprint phone for that matter if we can't get it on SERO? We might as well go elsewhere and get better phones

Check it here
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    There is no mention of increased SERO prices in this update. This is about blocking PDA's on Sero. Our issue is increased SERO prices.

Who cares about a PDA or any Sprint phone for that matter if we can't get it on SERO? We might as well go elsewhere and get better phones

Check it here
    Yes, and like one poster asks in the comments from your link, if we go $30 SERO now (before the new plans) will Sprint keep us on that plan when we try to switch to the 800w under their 30-day return policy?

I've said this before and I know it's speculative at this point but I really think Sprint is going to make anyone activating the 800w be on specific (+ higher price) plans -- just like the Instinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    I've said this before and I know it's speculative at this point but I really think Sprint is going to make anyone activating the 800w be on specific (+ higher price) plans -- just like the Instinct.
    I don't agree with you on that one. The Instict is a new type of phone -- the hybrid dumb/smartphone like the iPhone, meant for multimedia (heavy bandwidth) use.

The 800w is a new Treo. Treos are known commodities, smartphones, used as such on the regular plans. 800w users won't be forced onto $99/mo plans while 700wx users, Q9c users, ACE users all get to stay on lower cost plans.

The real issue that hasn't been addressed is the price increase of all new SERO plans rumored to start on July 10th, three days before we can buy an 800w. If you have a $30/mo contract, they won't force you off of it if you upgrade your phone -- many have done that. It's those of us not on the $30/mo plan yet who need to worry. (We also probably need to stick with the plan and sign up for $30/mo plans with phones we don't want and exercise the 30-day exchange policy.)

I wish a Sprint employee would let us know for sure that the rate hikes are still on the table. I'd hate to sign up over the weekend and have to go through the exchange process when I didn't have to do so.
    Frankly- Sprint should raise its prices to match ATT because its service is just as good. the only reason they can't is they were too dependent on palm and a few others to give them devices
    if sprint has non crappy devices they could and should raise prices.

that said --this rumor was total crap. also Mal--why are you posting in your retraction that it took forever for sprint to respond to these rumors. What did it take them --like three days?

most carriers wouldnt bother responding to such retardedness at all.

what a bunch of anti sprint crap.
    also Mal--why are you posting in your retraction that it took forever for sprint to respond to these rumors. What did it take them --like three days?
    It was actually meant as sarcasm but I wrote that heading out the door, so admittedly it's a bit hard to read it like that if you didn't know it was only like 2-3 days.
    most carriers wouldnt bother responding to such retardedness at all.

what a bunch of anti sprint crap.
    Actually, I'm sort of glad a bunch of sites ran it, including BGR, as it did get Sprint to clarify that they have no intentions of changing SERO anytime soon or making pda/smartphones go on special data plans--it's a lot better to have a company squash those rumors than let them persist "out there", no?

Plus, since it originated mostly from SprintUsers, the notion that it was "anti sprint" is a little hard to make, imo.

I don't really see how the rumor was "crap" personally. Sure, if it were just a few forum posts and that's it, it's a bit crazy. But when you factor in:
    • The Samsung Instinct costing more on SERO than non-SERO; can only be on SEP
    • Customers who bought the Instinct were forced off of SERO if they ESN swapped
    • The past history with Sprint with Vision vs Power Vision*
    • How other carriers do treat pda/smartphones differently
    • How Sprint is currently re-organizing themselves

...it was quite plausible and did beg the question: Is the Instinct an exception or precedent?

Having that answered, for myself at least, was important.

I really dig Sprint but one has to admit that sometimes their internal communications that end being relayed to the customer is sometimes contradictory e.g. you are not supposed to have corporate discounts on top of SERO, especially after being migrated to Ensemble--yet I still do. Or how if you are in-contract there is no way to switch you to SERo and if there is, CSAs are not supposed to--yet I have. Go figure.

Edit: Sprint is also evidently not allowing a rebate if you don't switch to SEP from your old plan; I think they've always done things like that but still a kicker for those on the old PowerVision plans eligible for rebates. We'll see how this plays out.

*For those who don't know/remember, when Sprint was rolling out 3g years ago, customers had "Vision" 1x data plans. Some were forced by CSAs to "upgrade" to PowerVision (their 3g data plan) just to activate their new 3g phone, even if they didn't have 3g coverage; yet others were "grandfathered" in, including myself.

For some, this was a $5 increase that they were not told about when the bought the phone. Others were misleadingly told that they needed to have the top PowerVision plans ($25) for smartphones, instead of the basic $15 one--also erroneous.

This wasn't really Sprint's official line but rather resulted from internal mis-communications and flat out confusion. Either way, it was hard to find out what the official policy was--hence why this seemed like a replay of that event.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/03/2008 at 01:46 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The only thing I got out of that posts was:

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    but I wrote that heading out the door

You leave your house? Who will watch for all the rumors or us when you're gone?
    The only thing I got out of that posts was:

You leave your house? Who will watch for all the rumors or us when you're gone?
    lmao

I do sometimes try to maintain an outside "life" but alas, often it fails

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast