Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    They may just be trying to simplify their pricing since those new plans are about the same price as their existing plans.
    I agree with the person who said this simplifies their customer questions etc.

I think this thread is blowing things way way way out of proportion.

they are not going to put everyone on 99 plans. and the other simply whatever plans are the same price anyway.

and whats the rumor that sero goes away on the 13th based on?

this smells like a lot of hot air.

Just to be clear about the OP: there is no mention of SERO 'going away'. The buzz is that there will be new, (more expensive, possibly SEP-like) SERO plans announced on the 13th for the Instinct. It remains to be seen if these plans will apply to the 800w and other PDA's.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I left sprint to goto at&t becuase of the lack of devices i wanted. Now that sprint seems to be getting their act together with releasing things i like I will come back to sero. At regular prices i don't think id come back to sprint.
    yeah my currrent plan is go to Iphone then switch back to sprint if the reviews on the Touch Pro are good. But im not going to do that without Sero I dont thnik unless I hate the iphone. or more specifically, without the 30 buck Sero plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    ... Sprint is even following up with Instinct users that were somehow able to get their phones activated on a non-SEP plan and making them switch. Some folks have recently tried to order a Centro and are being told it needs to be on a SEP now...
    They can try to force it all they want, it still comes down to a signed agreement between two parties. If they force it you can pick up and move without ETF. But, Sprint being silly with "only certain plans" for the Instinct is no different than AT&T with their iPhone - and how they wouldn't allow any other data plan, and no corporate discounts .. for a little while, now they do. I see this happening with Sprint. They will try to cram the expensive plans on everyone for a while then see it isn't going as well as they hoped and open it up a bit. Remember this is the only carrier that has consistently lost customers quarter after quarter for a few years now... they can't afford to continue down that path.

Also, I ordered a Centro and new SERO line yesterday, it is on the UPS truck to be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    ...For comparison:
    Verizon:
    Unlimited voice/data is $129.99
    1350 minutes = $109.99
    900 minutes = $99.99
    450 minutes = $79.99

plus $0.20 for messages received and $0.20 for messages sent or plus $20 more for unlimited messaging....
    Not sure where you saw the $129.99 plan, I saw unlimited minutes/sms/mms for $119.99 and with data is $139.99
    I'm with Sprint because of SERO. I''m planning on passing on the new iPhone and going with the Diamond or Touch Pro but if the PDA pricing approaches what it is on ATT I'm jumping ship.

If you buy a new phone at full price and they won't activate it on your account with making you change plans, does that allow you to cancel without paying the ETF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, according to Sprint, they do as the terms I posted are from them.
    Interesting!

I may have to call them on that. I need to re-email into ecare anyway to try and get another rep. The one I dealt with was...rather unsympathetic.
    Hey guys, first post here. I just don't see why you can't use Sprint's Talk/Message/Data Share Plan. It's basically like the SEP but for shared lines. Cheapest is $129.99 1500 mins for 2 lines. That is if you would have to have SEP to use the 800w.
  8.    #28  
    From a post yesterday on HowardForums:

"Here is the dirt on the new SERO plans

Launch Date is 7/10/08.

SERO is gone. In its place is Everything Plus. Its basically the same as SERO except it includes text and GPS Navigation in the plan. Thats the good news, the bad news the pricing is going up. Way up.

Everything Plus 500 is going to be $59.99
    Everything Plus 1000 is going to be $79.99
    Simply Everything for $99.99 will still be an option

The $50 for 300 and $50 for 1250 will expire on 7/10. Those customers still on it will be grandfathered and remain on the plans, but all new SERO activations will be on these new Everything Plus plans."

This is confirmed by others in subsequent posts.

Link to discussion thread (see post #55) here
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Cheap data is the only thing that has kept me with Sprint all these years. It will be time for me to fly if they do that.
    That's the same for me.

I am waiting for a sprint to do a material change of service so i can leave them without paying the termination fee.

Here i come ATT/iPhone
    From a post yesterday on HowardForums:

"Here is the dirt on the new SERO plans

Launch Date is 7/10/08.

SERO is gone. In its place is Everything Plus. Its basically the same as SERO except it includes text and GPS Navigation in the plan. Thats the good news, the bad news the pricing is going up. Way up.

Everything Plus 500 is going to be $59.99
    Everything Plus 1000 is going to be $79.99
    Simply Everything for $99.99 will still be an option

The $50 for 300 and $50 for 1250 will expire on 7/10. Those customers still on it will be grandfathered and remain on the plans, but all new SERO activations will be on these new Everything Plus plans."

This is confirmed by others in subsequent posts.

Link to discussion thread (see post #55) here
    So, if new plans are launching on the 10th, but the 800w isn't until the 13th, it looks like what new SERO users need to do is this:

1) Sign up now (or the 9th) with a Mogul/700wx/whatever
    2) When the 800w comes out, do a within-30-days phone exchange

Since you'd be in contract at $30/month, that should work, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    So, if new plans are launching on the 10th, but the 800w isn't until the 13th, it looks like what new SERO users need to do is this:

1) Sign up now (or the 9th) with a Mogul/700wx/whatever
    2) When the 800w comes out, do a within-30-days phone exchange

They would probably, at that point, make you change plans or not allow you to get the phone. That is what they supposedly are doing with the instinct, and Verizon does that with many of their phones also (make you change it to X because of "compatibility").
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Unless it is Sprint's intention to require new 800w activations to be on a higher cost data plan, ala Instinct. If this turns out to be the case, you could still exchange the phone but you would be forced onto a different plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, according to Sprint, they do as the terms I posted are from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Interesting!

I may have to call them on that. I need to re-email into ecare anyway to try and get another rep. The one I dealt with was...rather unsympathetic.
    From a different Sprint rep.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSprintRep
    Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand your concern regarding
    the handset and Simply Everything Plan.

Effective February 29, 2008, Sprint is offering the revolutionary
    "Simply Everything" plan.

The "Simply Everything" plan provides unlimited "everything" (Voice,
    Messaging, Direct Connect and Mobile Internet) for $99.99.

This is not just a voice price plan. With this plan, our valued
    customers have the freedom to use all the features of their device
    without hesitation or fear of high charges/overage. It's a worry-free
    way to do simply everything.

Existing Sprint customers can switch to the Simply Everything plan
    without extending their current contract. New line activation require a
    two-year agreement.
    For families, Simply Everything includes an incremental $5 discount for
    each incremental line, up to five lines on the same bill. For example,
    two lines would amount to $194.98 ($99.99 + $94.99); a third line would
    cost an additional $89.99. The Sprint plan offers significant savings
    the more lines added.

It is about simplicity, usability and real value. The $99.99 Simply
    Everything plan eliminates overage surprises and provides a worry-free
    environment.

To take advantage of the new unlimited plan, please visit
    www.sprint.com.

There is no need to renew the contract on changing the plan on the
    account.
    So my 3 lines would cost $284.97 per month. I'll be keeping my Fair&Flex Family (800 minutes) for $69.99 a month (+flat fee's for 2nd and 3rd phone).

Granted it's not unlimited, so it's apples to oranges, but switching to Simply Everything would end up costing me money, even with the smaller plans. But I have a very old plan that was offered by Retentions, so I'm quite a bit cheaper than the average person.

Too bad it's not the $99.99 +$20-30 per extra line. If that were the case, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
    About a week ago Sprint called me up out the blue and asked if I wanted to upgrade my plan to a simply everything plan. Currently I am on a 1250 minute plan for $49.99 a month with unlimited data and unlimited texting. I also opted for the 6pm nights and weekends at $10 as my plan is actually 9pm nights and weekends. Technically this is a Fair and Flexible plan customized to match a SERO plan. My upgrade elligibility was as of July 1st 2008. I basically laughed and said no thanks. I did ask her when the 800w is released if would I be able to upgrade without changing my plan and she said absolutely. She said that I would be able to use all the discounts and rebates as well. My contract does not expire until Nov 2009 so I would have to extend my contract for two years from whenever I upgraded but I could keep the same plan.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Unless it is Sprint's intention to require new 800w activations to be on a higher cost data plan, ala Instinct. If this turns out to be the case, you could still exchange the phone but you would be forced onto a different plan.
    Not that Sprint *has* to do anything that really makes sense, but it wouldn't make sense to me if they singled out the 800w for a particular kind of plan. And really, I think they've already singled out PDA phones . . . previously to Sprint's new plans, I think you did have the option of opting out of data services w/a PDA phone (much like you could get a Blackberry device w/o Blackberry service - it becomes a straight-up phone). The new structure doesn't give you that option - you're already forced into a simply everything plan w/a PDA.

Many agreed or at least could comprehend the reasoning of locking the Instinct into a particular plan b/c of the assumed data usage implications of the phone and the iPhone's plan requirements.

Overall, though, I can definitely see Sprint upping the SERO plan prices. Everyone knows they've been giving away the farm, and perhaps they finally have the cajones to make the change to get some additional cash.
  16.    #36  
    I did ask her when the 800w is released if would I be able to upgrade without changing my plan and she said absolutely. She said that I would be able to use all the discounts and rebates as well.

Don't take this as gospel; quite a few folks were told the same thing by un-informed Sprint reps about the Instinct. Some went out and paid full price thinking it would be a simple ESN swap on their existing plan, only to find out it had to be on a Simply Everything Plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    ...Overall, though, I can definitely see Sprint upping the SERO plan prices. Everyone knows they've been giving away the farm, and perhaps they finally have the cajones to make the change to get some additional cash.
    But how I see it is some money coming in is better than no money coming in if these big changes make many customers (along with the many that already left) leave for another carrier. They need to be MORE than competitive - and these $99 plans aren't doing it enough, especially for the many users that just like "hot phones" and don't use data. Or the family plans, they should def. be more than just $5 off for an additional line - heck Cricket and MetroPCS do better than that and they are spreading. A bleeding beast can't go after large game, it has to heal which is what Sprint needs to do - slow down and first regain customers before going crazy with prices.
    If Verizon was doing the "Simply Everything" plan, it would require that you give them Simply Everything you earn and they will let you talk, text, browse, or e-mail whenever they feel like it... pulling the (nonexisting) plug on you when you reach a magical number of usage they pick!

Actually- now that they have the 29.99 un-(yeah, right)limited data plan they are a bit more reasonable than they were.

Either I was a fool for not going to SERO a couple of weeks ago (and being grandfathered in) when I was out-of-contract, or I was smart to stick with Verizon and re-up for 2 more years since Sprint may (or may not) be around in 2010. With the world supposedly ending in 2011 I guess it doesn't matter too much...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    But how I see it is some money coming in is better than no money coming in if these big changes make many customers (along with the many that already left) leave for another carrier. They need to be MORE than competitive - and these $99 plans aren't doing it enough, especially for the many users that just like "hot phones" and don't use data. Or the family plans, they should def. be more than just $5 off for an additional line - heck Cricket and MetroPCS do better than that and they are spreading. A bleeding beast can't go after large game, it has to heal which is what Sprint needs to do - slow down and first regain customers before going crazy with prices.
    It's their business to do what they want for *new* SERO customers post-7/13 or whenever, but as for existing customers . . . hopefully they would think twice about that. If they did, that would imply to me that they're throwing the concept of grandfathering old plans out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    It's their business to do what they want for *new* SERO customers post-7/13 or whenever, but as for existing customers . . . hopefully they would think twice about that. If they did, that would imply to me that they're throwing the concept of grandfathering old plans out the window.
    Two things

1) I see this plan increase that Sprint sees how much people like Blackberry and dont mind paying the extra 40 for the exclusive BB stuff. So they figure why not increase our plans since people dont mind paying extra for the BB

2) I think it would be wise for people(including me) to get a 700wx now and then try to upgrade at least. Worst comes to worse I still have a $30 bill right?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast