Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the 800w will have voice dialing thru a bluetooth headset?
    I would like to know too. This has been a thorn on Palm's behind. What a "smart" phone indeed.
    Since its coming with BT 2.0 (EDR), WM6.1 and MS Voice Command ...it's a very good bet it works.
    It would have the be the BT 2.0 that makes the difference. We don't get true bluetooth voice dialing with 6.1 and MS Voice Command 1.6.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It would have the be the BT 2.0 that makes the difference. We don't get true bluetooth voice dialing with 6.1 and MS Voice Command 1.6.....
    From what I've read here on the forums the reason the 700wx won't do it is BT hardware-related and not a software issue as 1.6 introduce the feature to other phones.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Update/Correction:

No voice dialing over BT on the 800w.

I suppose it may change by release, but don't hold your breath.

-mal
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Update/Correction:

-mal
    WHY NOT???
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Palm just endorsed the hands-free bill in California. How is it then that we cannot get voice dialing over BT? Doesn't voice dialing kind of play into the whole hands-free thing? I know the 800 is not out yet, but this is a big deal while driving.
    When will MS Voice Command 2.0 ever be released? It's been 1.6 for EONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have never understood having a smartphone like the Treo with the small keyboard or even the dialpad on the touch screen and Palm not being able to implement bluetooth voice dialing. Since my 650 my wife's regular handsets have had this feature.

Fast foward 6 Treos later and 3 years and still no bluetooth voice dialing! And i'm sorry, if the Sanyos and Samsungs can do Palm should be able to.

Does anyone know if the Curve or iPhone can dial over bluetooth?

I think Californians that get tickets for dailing numbers(or searching contacts to dial) on their Treos should have Palm pay them
    Last I knew, the iPhone didn't have any kind of voice dialing (bluetooth or otherwise), but not sure about iPhone 3G. There may be a 3rd-party option in the works for it.

I can't confirm on the Blackberry. My company's IT policy disables bluetooth on our Blackberrys, so I can't test it.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Update/Correction:

-mal
    I seriously doubt that. If so, LOL@Palm. If not, where on earth are you getting this info from Mal? It could always be PEBCAK...
    Update/Correction:

-mal
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if they left it out. This is Palm we're talking about.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Ok, but it's also 2008. Part of me screams, "they leave that out, they're dead." As in bankrupt. So out of touch it's ridiculous. How many phones produced in 2008 don't offer voice dialing with a bluetooth headset. It's not even a fad anymore. I'll be aghast if Mal's post is true. And of course I'd never buy another Palm product again, which is a position I'm not far from right now, but I was going to give the 800w a chance if it met even my most basic needs.

Seriously, this thread makes me cry and laugh at the same time.

BTW bronx, the laughable part of the legislation is that it's still legal to text and dial on your phone, you just can't hold it up to your head and talk (unless you're speaking to a law enforcement agency during an emergency).
    The story was right here on TC. In case you missed it, here it is. Many consider voice dialing over BT as standard equipment these days. I just don't get it. I hope the 800 has it.
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1815-1.htm
    Personally, I'm waiting for the Diamond.

I've waited so long for Palm to "get it right" that the competition has just left them behind. I can no longer justify a Palm product purchase. And their phone customizations won't sway me this time.

I just hope that Sprint doesn't cripple the Diamond with their customizations.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    BTW bronx, the laughable part of the legislation is that it's still legal to text and dial on your phone, you just can't hold it up to your head and talk (unless you're speaking to a law enforcement agency during an emergency).[/QUOTE]

Thats just retarded. Texting and dialing are the two actions that take your eyes off the road. Isn't that how that governer on the east coast got into that car accident? His driver was texting at the time.

So I can keep my head down and text to my heart's delight. But put a handset to my head & breakout moving violations tickets.

Ridiculous
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx889 View Post

Thats just retarded. Texting and dialing are the two actions that take your eyes off the road. Isn't that how that governer on the east coast got into that car accident? His driver was texting at the time.

So I can keep my head down and text to my heart's delight. But put a handset to my head & breakout moving violations tickets.

Ridiculous
    Exactly!!! It's hilarious. Just last night, driving home, wife and I saw a guy with his bluetooth headset on his left ear, looking DOWN at his phone while pressing a lot of buttons. On 280.

Not that voice command will stop those people who act like that from doing that sort of thing, but for the rest of us, it would allow us to always keep eyes on the road, which is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Personally, I'm waiting for the Diamond.

I've waited so long for Palm to "get it right" that the competition has just left them behind. I can no longer justify a Palm product purchase. And their phone customizations won't sway me this time.

I just hope that Sprint doesn't cripple the Diamond with their customizations.
    No external storage on the Diamond (microSD/SDHC card slot)