Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I have a Centro and love it but would love it even more if it had Java, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0 and Wifi. I have been waiting FOREVER for an update firmware but I just don't think it will happen. With the new 800w coming out that can offer those new options is very tempting. I have never had a Windows Mobile device so I don't know if changing from Palm OS to Windows would be worth it since I have heard so many horror stories. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison on how the Centro stacks up against the new 800w.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If what you want is indeed Java, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0 and Wifi, you have to leave the Centro and get a WM device like the 800w. The Palm OS devices will never have those capabilities so there's no point in waiting for a ROM update that will never happen.

I did jump from a Treo 700p to a WM device (Tilt), so I can only advocate for the general jump from a PalmOS device to a WM device in general.

WM6 is definitely more complex than the regular old Palm OS. The problem stems from the fact that many things you do on a WM device are based on what you would normally do on a regular PC, and the concepts feel somewhat foreign at first in a smartphone, for example the fact that now you can have left and "right" clicks with your stylus, the fact that apps and documents and whatnots are stored in folders rather than exposed in a general launcher and thus you have to "dig" to find them, etc.

The fact that WM is a multithreaded OS has quite an impact on somebody coming from PalmOS. You have to get used to the point that switching apps does not kill them, and that has many positives and negatives. On one hand, leaving those apps running in the background will eat memory. On the other hand, you can always resume what you were doing if say, you were interrupted in the middle of writting an email by an incoming phonecall. Memory management is not an issue these days since WM5 and WM6 now have the option to configure what happens when you press the X icon on the top corner of the app (say you can kill the app or just send it to background), besides devices are coming out with "tons" of user-available memory.

One field where I definitely miss the simplicity of the PalmOS is the calendar and the way the calendar entries are handled. If you use Outlook or have ever used Outlook, WM has the same feel and the way calendar entries are displayed is more comprehensive and outlook-like, so that's a plus; however WM has the nasty habit that, if you delete a recurring meeting for example, it will screw up your calendar reminders and your phone will never remind you of them again, until you use a memory management tool to fix the snafu (I use mem maid, and it is well worth it). With Palm that was never an issue, and I feel that indeed the Calendar functionality of the Treo/Centro line is way much simpler and effective than WM.

Dealing with PC sync is another story. I have only used XP and Active Sync seems to do OK, however it does not fully backup your device (to the extend of my knowledge) and for that you require almost mandatory a 3rd party backup solution. With Hotsync, all of your apps were always backed up in the PC, and if you had to hard reset your device (many times with the 700p) it always came in handy to have the backed up data there. I have no idea how Vista handles this but it is supposed to be even better than Active Sync.

WM is getting very close to be one-handed operation, and that's what the Smartphone version of WM wanted to be, but still there are occasions where is just not there yet. It is significantly better than the first days of Pocket PC but still. In my case the slide-out keyboard kills the one hand operation, and the fact that selecting a pull-down list and then hitting enter with the 5 way selection button does not open the pull down list kills the mojo of one hand; but in the 800w things should improve in that field I hope.

Also, the amount of power and configurability you have in a WM device is quite impressive, and many tweaks can be achieved by manipulating registry entries, which is not the case for Palm OS. Also there are many cooked ROMS laying around that in many instances are better than the original ROM provided by the carrier. Not for the faint of heart but still a compelling fact in favor of WM.

Overall, the jump is very scary at first (I am being honest here); but once you past those scary moments you realize that indeed there's a Windows Mobile world out there that wants to be discovered
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    I have a Centro and love it but would love it even more if it had Java, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0 and Wifi. I have been waiting FOREVER for an update firmware but I just don't think it will happen. With the new 800w coming out that can offer those new options is very tempting. I have never had a Windows Mobile device so I don't know if changing from Palm OS to Windows would be worth it since I have heard so many horror stories. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison on how the Centro stacks up against the new 800w.
    Windows horror stories are very pre 2003SE. WM simply runs circles around the POS. There is no comparison-
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Dealing with PC sync is another story. I have only used XP and Active Sync seems to do OK, however it does not fully backup your device (to the extend of my knowledge) and for that you require almost mandatory a 3rd party backup solution. With Hotsync, all of your apps were always backed up in the PC, and if you had to hard reset your device (many times with the 700p) it always came in handy to have the backed up data there. I have no idea how Vista handles this but it is supposed to be even better than Active Sync.
    At least on 750, Palm offered Sprite Backup, which was a full-on data and registry backup program. I can't imagine they would strip that from their newer windows mobile offerings...If this phone has it, then you can use Sprite Backup to just Backup to your SD card instead of dealing with ActiveSTINK.
    The 800w has Sprite.

It was listed in the software package that was leaked a a few weeks ago here at TC/WMExperts.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter