Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I am looking to upgrade my phone, and am tired of waiting for the Palm OS Software. Which do you think would be a better replacement phone and easy to use (read as no reboots!)?
    For you, probably the 800w. The Touch Pro looks to be the more powerful device with a faster processor, tv out, and the higher resolution screen. But the 800w, because of Palm's improvements to the WM OS, will likely be very stable and not need to be rebooted nearly as often as most other WM devices.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Not to mention the Treo's front facing keyboard vs the Touch Pro's slider. You can't beat a front facing keyboard for ease of use.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I didn't know that WM devices need to be rebooted

Is that more often than Palm OS device soft reboots on its own?

I am really looking for a smartphone that is the most stable on Sprint (greatest plan) but dont want to pay extra for Blackberry plans either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    For you, probably the 800w. The Touch Pro looks to be the more powerful device with a faster processor, tv out, and the higher resolution screen. But the 800w, because of Palm's improvements to the WM OS, will likely be very stable and not need to be rebooted nearly as often as most other WM devices.
    The more and more I use HTC designed and created devices, the more and more I shy away from the products. Palm is the BEST at WM IMO, even if they use HTC as their ODM, Palm still does all the tweaking and designs the actual device.
    Has anyone seen how thick the Touch pro is . Yikes. the Diamond is thin but the touch is a small novel. not sure how that would feel walking around with it in a pocket , etc. Looks like a HP Jornada lol. And I am someone who thinks the touch pro is the coolest phone ever (on paper). Camera with flash , TV Out. etc. I still would love one but the size and from what I read on a few sites going to retail for almost $800 ( Before discounts) . But its some phone . Actually looks like a small laptop. I think the 800W is the phone for me . Or atleast Im going to find out in a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    I didn't know that WM devices need to be rebooted
    You did know it was Windows Mobile, made by Microsoft, right?

I'm with VaccPalm - the TouchPro looks like an awesome mini-laptop, but I don't want QUITE that much in my pocket. The 800w looks like the device for me, too.
    I am trying to find the picture of the Diamond and the Touch Pro next to each other I saw recently. I was like WOW. this touch pro is huge. I just purchased a Jornada recently ( for trips ) and I dont need another.

Edit: here is a pic of it on its side . It looks real thick. I know looks can be decieving but looks thicker than my old Visor Prism with Sprint Phone Module and I couldnt get that sucker in my pants. I tried and tried. LOL.

http://www.phonemag.com/htc-touch-pr...el-20-phonemag

http://www.phonemag.com/htc-touch-pr...ael-1-phonemag
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/29/2008 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Has anyone seen how thick the Touch pro is . Yikes.
    Umm the Touch Pro & the 800w are almost identical in thickness.

800w: 112 x 58 x 18.5 mm
    Touch Pro: 102 x 51 x 18 mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    You did know it was Windows Mobile, made by Microsoft, right?

I'm with VaccPalm - the TouchPro looks like an awesome mini-laptop, but I don't want QUITE that much in my pocket. The 800w looks like the device for me, too.
    After running WM6 on my 700wx for the past month, I can say that I am looking forward to the 800w. WM6 is so stable on my 700wx that, although I am confident the 800w will be a great device, I am really debating on upgrading right away. The 240x240 screen has never been a problem to me, Wifi is not a huge deal, but the size and GPS is likely to perpetuate my thoughts of upgrading.

With all of that said, if you do not have a 700wx, and are looking for the next practical and stable device, I would have to put my money on the 800w.
    Ok found the pic of the Diamond on top of the Touch pro. Shows how huge it is. I really wish it wasnt as it would be perfect for me.

Here it is

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...0&g=364&h=9962
    I know those are the stats but look at that picture of the touch pro. the 800W is that thick??? serious. I belive ya but I guess I havent seen a 800W on its side yet .so i guess its possible , if it is, i will be kind of disapointed and maybe wait for the touch pro. Wow now you got my disapointed. LOL. I was all set for what I was told by the guy at the Sprint store that its between a centro and 755. Darn.

Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    Umm the Touch Pro & the 800w are almost identical in thickness.

800w: 112 x 58 x 18.5 mm
    Touch Pro: 102 x 51 x 18 mm
    I know those are the stats but look at that picture of the touch pro. the 800W is that thick??? serious. I belive ya but I guess I havent seen a 800W on its side yet .so i guess its possible , if it is, i will be kind of disapointed and maybe wait for the touch pro. Wow now you got my disapointed. LOL. I was all set for what I was told by the guy at the Sprint store that its between a centro and 755. Darn.
    Relative to the diamond, almost anything else would appear to be thick! Once the pro was in your hand or pocket, I do not believe it would be an issue. If the 800w is that size, I am even looking more forward to it. But I have never preferred extremely thin phones.
    Well if you compare the Touch Pro to the Diamond then yeah it will look huge because the Diamond is only 11.5 mm thick (its even thinner than the original Touch which was 14mm I believe).

Here's a side shot of the 800 from BGR. Its almost identical to the Mogul (which is also about around 18.5 mm i think)

aHH I see so its just that looking at the Touch pro next to a Diamond it looks huge . so I will assume that if you put a 800W next to a diamond it would look huge also. one of the reviews i read of he touch pro stated it barley fit in a .pocket. Im a little concerned about that but we shall see.

What is 18.5 MM in inches ??
    aHH I see so its just that looking at the Touch pro next to a Diamond it looks huge . so I will assume that if you put a 800W next to a diamond it would look huge also. one of the reviews i read of he touch pro stated it barley fit in a .pocket. Im a little concerned about that but we shall see.
    Will a Mogul fit in your pocket? Then the 800w or the Touch Pro will, too. You need to know how big the reviewer's pockets are for a subjective comment like that to matter! For all we know, your reviewer likes to show everybody his or her underwear lines with tight, tight pants....
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Will a Mogul fit in your pocket? Then the 800w or the Touch Pro will, too. You need to know how big the reviewer's pockets are for a subjective comment like that to matter! For all we know, your reviewer likes to show everybody his or her underwear lines with tight, tight pants....
    Or perhaps the reviewer is partial to giving strangers the ability to count the change in his pocket, while it remains in his pocket. Perhaps he is a Jonas Brother...

If you didn't laugh, then you most likely do not have kids between the ages 7-14...
    LOL. true. I think it more the review was saying it went into the pocket but not comfortabley. Much like how i used to have troubles with my 650 with jeans ( not dress pants as the pockets were loose) but with tighter dungarees I guess the 800W could be a tight fit Like when you sit down . Again we shall see.
    This is one of the reviews that said it wasnt a good fit in the front pocket, there were a few others I read. But this is one of them I found again. I read so many.

http://www.geek.com/htc-touch-pro-sh...tuff-20080627/

According to Vincent over at Phonemag.com, the Diamond fits perfectly in your front pocket but the Touch Pro should be carried in the back pocket or a separate case. To me, that’s actually a show stopper since I’ve grown accustomed to carrying my phones in my front pocket these days, including the iPhone and the Diamond. I’m surprised that HTC couldn’t have trimmed it a bit and not made it as thick. Of course, it does include a sliding keyboard so I guess there have to be some trade offs.
    Has anyone seen how thick the Touch pro is . Yikes. the Diamond is thin but the touch is a small novel. not sure how that would feel walking around with it in a pocket , etc. Looks like a HP Jornada lol. And I am someone who thinks the touch pro is the coolest phone ever (on paper). Camera with flash , TV Out. etc. I still would love one but the size and from what I read on a few sites going to retail for almost $800 ( Before discounts) . But its some phone . Actually looks like a small laptop. I think the 800W is the phone for me . Or atleast Im going to find out in a week or so.
    How is the Tiuch Pro going to retail for $800 before discounts?? Come now, even the baddest HTC device on Sprint, the Mogul (which the Touch Pro is replacing) was/is $599 at full retail.

About the size, it most likely isn't any thicker than the Mogul or any other HTC device with a slider. Most people seem to forget that the Touch Pro will have the same on-screen keyboard like the Touch Diamond (remember the TouchPal keyboard) and the video previews of the keyboard are very good.

That alone "kills two birds with one stone" for me. I do prefer a Treo-like keyboard BUT also a large screen. The Touch Pro will have enough to draw me away from my 700Wx even if i never even draw out the slider.

But we'll see how it performs when it really launches...
    Last edited by Merovingian; 06/29/2008 at 11:00 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast