Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just ran into it on Engadget

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...l-details-lac/

Fugly back that thing has...
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    So now Palm thinks it's Apple?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    MMS is on the way out. It uses a ton of bandwidth as it offers no compression. With the overwhelming tide of smartphone adoption MMS's days are numbered.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Why? I have sent a few MMS because it was way faster than emailing picture attachments. Picture attachments are annoying and often viewed as suspected spam by email programs.

I'm also confused as to what using smartphones has to do with the supposed decline of MMS? As far as I can see, you can still do MMS on many smartphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No big deal.
    It strikes me that this picture looks the same as the ones leaked earlier, that Malatesta said was still test samples. Will there actually be any appearance improvements in the final device or not?

Surur
    I think I must send about one mms a month if that...not sure why some people get really annoyed about the lack of it. These days with uploads to Facebook or emails on the go being pretty standard MMS seems like a pointless extra expense...
    Oh yeah, we ALL have Facebook accounts. And we all love to get email attachments that clutter up our inbox.

Phone looks nice. better than the earlier pics. I cant wait .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Oh yeah, we ALL have Facebook accounts. And we all love to get email attachments that clutter up our inbox.
    Relax, that wasn't what I was saying, you could also have a flickr account too...point is why pay more (my email saves to my 4gig micro sd card so there's no clutter!)?
    One of my email accounts has a limit on attachment size. One of my contacts has problems opening attachments in his email account. I have other accounts that quarantine attachments as possible spam.

It's faster to send and receive an MMS. Actually I'm not a big sender of MMS either, but it sure beats figuring out what will and what won't work today with all these fickle email systems.

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Is it me or is the processor a bit weedy for a modern device?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    One of my email accounts has a limit on attachment size. One of my contacts has problems opening attachments in his email account. I have other accounts that quarantine attachments as possible spam.

It's faster to send and receive an MMS. Actually I'm not a big sender of MMS either, but it sure beats figuring out what will and what won't work today with all these fickle email systems.
    Fair enough, that's a better explanation than your previous post. I don't have those restrictions thankfully, MMS really hasn't much place for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Is it me or is the processor a bit weedy for a modern device?
    It's not just you.
    PhoneDiva,

MMS does not use any form of compression and, as such, sucks up more bandwidth when sending. Sending a pic via email generally (although not always) involves some sort of compression of the image. Yes MMS is faster but less efficient from a carrier standoint.

And because more folks are getting smartphones and the accompanying data plans utilization of email via smartphones is increasing. People with dumb phones generally have MMS as their only option.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    people - don't you think the lack of MMS reference is more due to the way Sprint has historically mangled common MMS services - I mean, that whole web-based Picture Mail service junk - ?

When my friends on Sprint send me pics they've taken on their Palm OS devices, what I get is typically a web link to go and 'view' the pic online someplace. What a pain.

I'd suspect that's why there is no MMS reference here.
    So I still don't get why using smartphone email means the end of MMS, Mr. F. Except for Gmail, many email programs simply don't seem to like picture or music file attachments. This is likely due to spammers abusing the system, but it does present a problem UNLESS maybe if the sender is on your "allow" list. But even then, I can't control what settings people have on their email accounts so I have sent attachments that were either lost, can't be opened or whatever. I've had attachments chewing up space in my Inbox and I never save emails to a card due to security reasons. I leave a lot of stuff on the server itself. I end up just deleting a lot of quarantined attachments, which is annoying.

MMS is usually included with the messaging plan so the cost is the same to the consumer. I still don't see where it's on it's way out since newer phones still offer the option, and carriers don't seem to be discontinuing the service as far as I know. Except for Sprint I guess, looking at the preceding post. But if the carriers really don't like MMS, they wouldn't even offer it, or charge more. I think mine did at one time, but the last time I looked at my messaging plan, MMS was included along with texts.

The one thing I will say is that if they start sending spam MMS then I WILL begin to be unhappy with MMS. It's bad enough getting useless email attachments. As of now, by MMS I only send or receive from people I actually know.

18.    #18  
    I think Mal's comments on the leaks not being the final design were primarily best guesses... I'd put a 20 sayin that we are looking at a virtually final version... and blue
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Yeah I love the shape but black is always the nicest in these phones. See the centro but blue is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Just ran into it on Engadget

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...l-details-lac/
    Fugly back at thing has...
    I guess Jon R had no input into the design of this new device. Like everyone says ugly but I will still buy the b-ugly device. Will Palm devices look like apple devices or HTC (I seriously doubt it)?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast