Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think MMS is still important today - being able to send pictures of things when I'm out away from a computer to friends that are away from their computer is too useful. Not everyone I know has a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    I had thought that the 800w was coming with a 400mhz processor? Doesnt the current 700W/WX have a 3xxmhz processor already?
    Yes they all do. Even the Treo 650 which is almost 4yrs old now had an Intel XScale PXA270 312Mhz processor. Sigh...not a lot has changed hardware-wise in 4yrs..
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Geeze a little more power would be great with WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Yes they all do. Even the Treo 650 which is almost 4yrs old now had an Intel XScale PXA270 312Mhz processor. Sigh...not a lot has changed hardware-wise in 4yrs..
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Geeze a little more power would be great with WM6.

It's not the raw power. It's what you do with it that counts.

To use an example of something not phone related, my straight 6 will pull a boat out of the water far better than my dad's 5 year newer V-8 will. In any circumstance, be it dry, wet, sandy, muddy, etc.

People always ask me "Why'd you get a 6 cylinder instead of a V-8? The V-8 has more horsepower!" They don't understand just how much of that horsepower is lost trying to get to the wheels (not to mention HP vs torque).

It's the exact same with these phones. The 700wx with it's "small" 333 mhz processor runs WM6 far better than the Mogul with it's "faster" processor. It feels better to me than many other WM6 devices I've used as well in passing (all with "better" hardware specs).

As a friend of mine used to say: "it's not the size of the wave that counts, it's the motion of the ocean."

I don't care if the 800w has a 133 mhz processor. If it runs WM6.1 smoother than it's competitors, that's all that matters.
    Well the processor size isn't too bad because we know Palm does a good job at tweaking the software but we also have to remember that the 800w will only come with an 1150mah battery. I'm sure when it comes to battery life, the 333mhz processor will help quite a bit in terms of usage time especially with WiFi and GPS in the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    I'm sure when it comes to battery life, the 333mhz processor will help quite a bit in terms of usage time especially with WiFi and GPS in the mix.
    That really depends on how they use it.

A 333 mhz processor that's cranking all the time will use more battery than a--for example--450 mhz processor that knocks out what it needs to do and then shuts down.

But yes, all else being equal you are correct. And Palm has a proven track record of the ability to use seemingly underpowered hardware and really make it stand up and sing. While they have made some mistakes (700w) by and large they've done quite well, and corrected their mistakes rather quickly.

I have no doubt that we'll see the same sort of performance from the 800w. I can only hope it's like the 700wx, in the sense that it doesn't bat an eye at running the next WM OS when other devices 2 years newer and with much better specs are struggling.
    Yeah well if Palm has anything going for them (lately) it's been their ability to chop up WM and turn it into a very fast os. I haven't really been too worried about what type of hardware they will be using in the 800w because their less is more approach with their hardware actually works out pretty well (ie 700wx). As long as battery life is decent, I'm sure Palm has a really good device that will just work really well out of the box.
    um, I don't see anything about GPS in here people! Did I miss something??
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspster View Post
    um, I don't see anything about GPS in here people! Did I miss something??
    It has AGPS
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    It has GPS on board. Technically its aGPS but it operates independently of the network so behaves just like GPS.

Its very fast and accurate, plus comes with custom mapping software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It has GPS on board. Technically its aGPS but it operates independently of the network so behaves just like GPS.

Its very fast and accurate, plus comes with custom mapping software.
    Is the Custom Mapping software like Live Search or Google Maps, or something totally different ?
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Is the Custom Mapping software like Live Search or Google Maps, or something totally different ?
    I believe it is something entirely different.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    At first, I was a little concerned about the size of the 800W but I compared it with my Moto Q and it is slightly smaller than my Q (with extended battery). IMO that's not bad at all. I can't believe I'm actually considering getting an 800W after leaving the Palm fold and getting a Moto Q and an iPhone. Previously, I've owned just about every POS Treo there was starting with the original 300, which I still have and it still works. My needs have outgrown my Q - I want WiFi and GPS plus WM 6.1. If my Q had all this, I'd probably stay with it because I really do like it. I also, have an iPhone but I had terminated the AT&T service back and January and basically just use it as an iPod Touch. I've thought about getting another iPhone but frankly I really don't like Apple's Big Brother attitude towards everything. Plus the Apple Fanboys are really annoying.
    I'm also using an iPhone as an itouch, and using a Moto Q as my main phone. I'm considering the 800w, I'm just concerned about its battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan View Post
    At first, I was a little concerned about the size of the 800W but I compared it with my Moto Q and it is slightly smaller than my Q (with extended battery). IMO that's not bad at all. I can't believe I'm actually considering getting an 800W after leaving the Palm fold and getting a Moto Q and an iPhone. Previously, I've owned just about every POS Treo there was starting with the original 300, which I still have and it still works. My needs have outgrown my Q - I want WiFi and GPS plus WM 6.1. If my Q had all this, I'd probably stay with it because I really do like it. I also, have an iPhone but I had terminated the AT&T service back and January and basically just use it as an iPod Touch. I've thought about getting another iPhone but frankly I really don't like Apple's Big Brother attitude towards everything. Plus the Apple Fanboys are really annoying.
    Thanks for the confirmation on the size comparison. The size of the 800w was a concern for me having previously used a 600 and a 650. I don't want to go back to wearing a holster.

I've been using the Q for over a year. Love the size of this thing but also want the features of newer phones (GPS, Wifi, Rev A). Using GPS over BT is just not ideal for me. Yeah, it works but if I have to remember to take my puck with me everywhere, I may was well buy a full-fledged Nuvi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    People always ask me "Why'd you get a 6 cylinder instead of a V-8? The V-8 has more horsepower!" They don't understand just how much of that horsepower is lost trying to get to the wheels (not to mention HP vs torque).

It's the exact same with these phones. The 700wx with it's "small" 333 mhz processor runs WM6 far better than the Mogul with it's "faster" processor. It feels better to me than many other WM6 devices I've used as well in passing (all with "better" hardware specs).

I don't care if the 800w has a 133 mhz processor. If it runs WM6.1 smoother than it's competitors, that's all that matters.
    lol, what?

That's a bad analogy because the v8 has more power and more to the wheels. It's not like all that extra power is lost, the loss through the drivetrain will be almost identical percentage-wise. A 300hp v8 might put down 255 to the wheels while a 230hp v6 might put down 195 to the wheels.

Although your point is taken that it's how something is used that counts, people don't buy v6's because "all the drivetrain loss makes it equal to a v8." They usually buy the lesser car because it's cheaper on sale price and insurance. Not to mention gas mileage.

As far as the phones go, I remember my 650 was prety slow years ago. Things have improved over the years, even if the processor hasn't improved much in terms of speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think MMS is still important today - being able to send pictures of things when I'm out away from a computer to friends that are away from their computer is too useful. Not everyone I know has a smartphone.
    I just sent an MMS myself today, LOL! Yep, still finding needs for it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Is it me or is palm afraid of putting flash on their phones who uses a camera with out flash that stupid thats why i got a blackberry. I hope they put a flash on the 800p.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    sorry to be nieve what is the difference between sms and mms?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by stayfly View Post
    Is it me or is palm afraid of putting flash on their phones who uses a camera with out flash that stupid thats why i got a blackberry. I hope they put a flash on the 800p.
    eh, I personally hate flashes on camera phone. I mean, the camera is usually bad enough, but that "flash" aka some terrible bright, yet inefficient lamp just makes photos awful looking. Even on my d40 I only buy fast lenses since flash photography, unless one has mastered the technique, is just awful looking.

But really...the fact is this is a business device and a camera is pretty secondary to the main function. I just don't see the benefit of a flash on these things. JMO.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast