1.    #1  
    Hi there guys. I've recently had to migrate to a Treo 700wx in lieu of my HTC Titan (Mogul) breaking. Let me start off by saying that I really am blown away by the functionality of the 700wx over my Mogul. I originally purchased the Treo back in March off eBay. It was in completely mint condition (the headphones and sync cable were still in the original sealed packaging). Unfortunately, when it came time to activate it, I find out that the guy just stopped paying on his Sprint account and they had locked the ESN. I actually got a refund and they let me keep the phone.

About a month later, I purchased an HTC Mogul from a friend (who got an iPhone) and I immediately fell in love with that. The GPS was amazing and the screen is undoubtedly better than the 700's. However, after a while, even with custom ROMs the device just kept getting slower and slower. Screen rotation was downright painful at times and while the slide-out keyboard had great feel and made the phone overall look nicer, having to wait for the screen to orientate itself really sucked. I eventually got a rom by dcd on xda-developers and it fixed a lot of the Mogul's shortcomings. All was fine on the homefront until I dropped the phone.

Everything still worked fine, but it had jarred the vibrator in the phone loose. It was constantly hitting against the side of the case and the godawful racket that it made was infuriating. Finally I decide I'm going to fix it and I take the phone apart. I've had my Treo 650's apart more times than I care to admit and I had even delved into the 700wx just to see the differences between it and the 650. HTC soldered the vibrator onto the board in the Titan (something I feel they stepped backwards with, because all of the modular parts in the Treo line are a godsend). It had slightly come loose and was barely making contact with the board. I soldered it back on and tested the phone by holding the battery against the contacts. Everything worked fine.

As I was picking up my soldering iron, I went over the top of the phone and apparently dropped a bit of solder in between two leads on the board (and I didn't notice). I put the phone back together and that was all she wrote. Completely shorted out everything.

So, I took out my box of Treos and grabbed my most recent 650 to try and activate. Type the ESN into Sprint's website and it says it can't be activated. Okaaaay.. that's strange. As I was going to grab my phone to call Sprint, I see the 700wx's box and I figured there's really nothing to lose so I pull the back off of the phone and enter in the ESN. "You're about to remove service from this phone: UTSTCM PPC6800 and add it to PALMTREO 700WX." Oh really?

I complete the activation process and low-and-behold, the 700wx actually works now. I guess the guy finally decided to pay off and close his Sprint account. The free Treo lives on!

Anyway, I know this was long winded, but here's my question: Is there a way to add AAC file support natively into Windows Media Player? I really like HTC's Audio Manager software (which uses WMP libraries), and I don't want use something like TCPMP just to play audio. I tried Pocket Music, and while it's neat, I don't want to pay $10 for the plugin.

Any ideas?

I also do want to say that I really am impressed by how well the Treo does what it does. I was never blown away by the Mogul's performance, especially when it comes to video or streaming media. Video playback on the 700wx is smooth and YouTube in TCPMP looks amazing. The Mogul would choke on streaming anything.

I guess this is why so many 700wx users just don't jump ship.

(Oh yeah, final question, I promise. Does the 700wx actually totally lack a GPS radio or is it just an instance of it being disabled in the ROM? The original Moguls came out with no GPS and no Rev. A EV-DO. A firmware patch later fixed that and I was just curious if something like that was possible with the Treos)
    PDA/Smartphone history:
    Apple Newton MessagePad 130, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor Prism, Kyocera 6035, numerous Treo 650s, Palm Treo 700wx, HTC Titan (PPC6800), back to Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaloutsider View Post
    Is there a way to add AAC file support natively into Windows Media Player?
    Good question. Know any devices that have this? Or a program that'll add it.

You could try the latest WM6 ROM I've posted, but it doesn't have the 6.1 WMPlayer (not sure if there's much--any?--difference between 6.0 and 6.1).

Quote Originally Posted by digitaloutsider View Post
    Does the 700wx actually totally lack a GPS radio or is it just an instance of it being disabled in the ROM?
    Nope. The 700wx lacks the hardware for it.

The 800w will have it, however.
  3.    #3  
    I know my Mogul could do it, and IIRC it started being able to do it after I installed TCPMP on it. I installed so many ROMs and plugins on there I can't remember when it was able to do what =p

And thanks for the info on the 700wx GPS.
    PDA/Smartphone history:
    Apple Newton MessagePad 130, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor Prism, Kyocera 6035, numerous Treo 650s, Palm Treo 700wx, HTC Titan (PPC6800), back to Treo 700wx