Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Seriously this is ridiculous. The 800w comes out in 2 weeks and not a single picture, video, or specification has been released by palm. Let alone not a single picture that wasn't "leaked" by someone who wasn't supposed to leak it (and even those are scarice). I cannot believe this phone ships in 2 weeks and palm or sprint hasn't said a word (I am not saying I don't believe wmexperts date on the 13th is correct because I think they are correct). I don't even have a clue what color it is going to be.

WHERE are the video reviews? Where are the sneak peaks? Where are the previews? Where are the accessories? Where is EVERYTHING....

Why all the secrecy so close to launch? I understand eary on trying to keep things somewhat quiet while things are finalized but wow 2 weeks before launch?. I mean look at the instinct. It is selling like hot cakes because of the marketing. Look at the hype surrounding the Xperia X1. What is palm and sprint thinking? I cannot believe this phone ships in 2 weeks and we can't get even a decent picture to look at.

It is sad I have to search high and low on the internet daily to find a blurry pic of a phone coming out in 2 weeks. I mean if these guys didn't leak these pictures, Bill gates didn't screw up, and Malatesta wasn't hooking us up with top notch information would we even have a clue what the 800w was about lol? Come on palm and sprint, get it together....

Palm usually equals "very bad advertiser". They almost never plug anything right! I'm surprised they even allowed all the Centro advertising and it probably helped them sell it, so take a clue Palm. Many times, people who don't visit these types of forums often don't know what's coming out if you don't inform them!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yep and today I wandered in to a Sprint store here in lovely Honolulu and asked when/if they would be getting them. The answer: this week or so for them to play with and no date on when to sell them. I asked if I could play and was told yes.
    Anyone remember when was the Centro info official published before the launch?
    Sometimes you just have to ask

Basically, they're watching their bottom line: advertising vs. burning through their cash reserves (needed for development)
    Jim Suva - Citigroup

Right. Okay, great. And then second, can you just talk a little bit about the increased marketing? You mentioned that when your new products come out, you are going to do some increased marketing -- the timing and/or magnitude about that?

Edward T. Colligan

Well, you know, as we -- we are going to be introducing new products over the next couple of quarters and we also want to continue to support the Centro momentum, so it would be more normal course of business relative to those. I just think as you introduce new products, it requires you to bring them into the marketplace to support your carrier partners and doing so to do the right merchandising efforts at the point of sale and to do some launch, you know, communications about them. But don’t expect anything extraordinary. We’re not -- as Andy said, we’re trying to be very prudent and thoughtful about the level of that marketing but we also don’t think going silent makes a lot of sense when we have so much momentum with Centro right now.
    As far as no major leaks or official info--look, that's how they roll. They release when they want and they're very strict on keeping a lid on things. The only reason you see so much from "the other guys" is because they have too many leaks.

Apple is not much different.

And release is definitely the 13th.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1454365]

Apple is not much different.

QUOTE]

Heh sorry to say but Apple is HUGELY different than Palm. Apple is very very tight up until they announce the product (this is where Palm and Apple are the same), then it's a marketer's dream come true. Your telling me since iPhone 3g was announced like 2 weeks ago you haven't seen stories, marketing, pics, etc etc all over the place? Apple has done the exact opposite of Palm in that they get the word out as soon as they announce it and it pays huge rewards for them.

Palm on the other hand, well I don't now about palm but I got jacked by them on the whole 700w to 700wx thing and I highly doubt I'll be trusting them when the 800w comes out. It's one thing to come out with a new rev of software to fix problems but a whole new set of hardware? That just screws the customer and I was one of them. I won't be falling for that a second a time. I'd be willing to buy a 800w at release (and not from Sprint. They have more issues than Palm has) if I was sure they weren't going to do a quickie hardware upgrade because they didn't figure out that the new hardware wasn't actually enough. By the way, how do you not catch something so basic during QA? If I got the 800w, it'll be 6 - 9 months after release to make sure they actually got it right this time. Based on Palms history though I'd put good money down on they didn't get the hardware right at all.

Sorry for the rant but I love Palm, loved them for years, but you can only take so much.......
    I'm with Shcump939 and I experienced the same thing. I would have returned my 700w but the only other option at the time was the HTC 6700, which was even worse. Speaking of which, the 700w was the only product Palm really announced ahead of time, with the whole Gates press conf and everything. Palm got burned so badly by the 700w and the extra pub generated by that press conference only exacerbated their failure.

I love the Treo form factor, I love the one-handed use, and the 800w would have been a great device about a year ago but I just can't get excited about it. There are so many new innovative products coming to market for both WM and other OS that the 800w just looks tired and boring. I'm sure it will be a fine device but I just want something to be excited about after 30 months and the 800w ain't it.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I love the Treo form factor, I love the one-handed use, and the 800w would have been a great device about a year ago but I just can't get excited about this device anymore. I think a little innovation isn't really too much to ask!
    That's a question that I've been wondering about for awhile. Most folks seem to say that they like the form factor, one-handed use, etc. The most common things that people say they want are items like Wifi and GPS. However, they also say they want....something different and innovative.

So what would folks suggest that Palm do differently? They can't really expand the screen size w/o changing from the front keyboard (and use a slider or virtual keyboard). Is it just the sexy factor of the iPhone, etc.? I'm really curious about this - and I have to admit that, even though I think the features of the 800w address just about everything I'd want, I find myself looking forward to trying out the Touch Pro.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I love the Treo form factor, I love the one-handed use, and the 800w would have been a great device about a year ago but I just can't get excited about it. There are so many new innovative products coming to market for both WM and other OS that the 800w just looks tired and boring. I'm sure it will be a fine device but I just want something to be excited about after 30 months and the 800w ain't it.
    I understand that viewpoint, but I don't share it. I'm very much of the mind of "function over form" regarding an expensive piece of equipment that I'm going to use for two years. I bought the new, exciting phones before (dumbphones) and the innovations just didn't work. I always wanted to go back to the old flip-phone from 2004 that made good calls.

My phone is a tool, and I just want it to work and work well. Sexy, innovative, all that can take a seat in the back of the room and shut up for this cat. Having my smartphone work the way I want it to will make me happy, seeing a pretty black slab will not. Anybody who would like me more or think I'm cool if I had a black slab would (a) be wrong, and (b) be a shallow person I don't wish to associate with.

If you personally like the pretty, enjoy being out at front with new innovations and features, that's a great reason to eschew the 800w and go iPhone or Instinct or Touch Diamond. I just don't like to be too adventurous (or limited by Apple) with the technology I depend on every day. I save my adventuring for new foods and maybe taking a road on my motorcycle just to see where it goes....
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm running on my 700w which has been painful but the cost to upgrade has simply been way too much. I have to admit though I'm by no means a power user of WM.

I am currently looking at the iPhone simply because of the new pricing, functionality and, truthfully, simplicity of it all. I see what others have done with their phones (some guy has like 200 apps running on his supposedly..) and i dont' get that. if I need that sort of power or I'm that unhappy with what my phone delivers then it seems a waste to spend the hundreds of dollars on the phone and then even more money on apps. maybe Android or Limo or whatever else is coming will help take care of it but if I have to spend more money on apps than the phone something is wrong.

The one thing that really turned me to the iPhone (to at least give it a darn good look) was really one thing: Safari. Unless you have experienced what it is like to actually browse the internet through your phone with a real browser, you have no idea what your missing. Yes I realize the current limitations of Safari and plug'ins etc but even Apple has to cave on that stuff. The advantage I've seen with Apple is that they are learning their lessons AND following through and giving customers what they want. This is unlike Palm who don't really seem to care what customers want anymore. I so miss Handspring When I have to move back to the Pocket IE, I shed a tear each time it's so painful now.

the huge bad thing to me about the iPhone: AT&T. I do not like AT&T, I have never been treated well by them, and I could go on but that would be the main reason i don't do iPhone at all. ever.

Now throw on top of that all the multimedia you could ever want plus the screen. I like how peple complain about the screen on the palm's and rejoice at 320x320 but take a look at iPhone screen and it's heaven.

Ok, I'm through gushing because I'm starting to sound like a complete fanboy which I'm definitely not. In the end, each person has their own needs and wants. What works for one person doesn't work the other. There is no best smartphone out there because each one is preference. It's really as simple as that. I personally have waited and waited and waited for the 800w to come out and, like someone said earlier, it really looks like it's too little too late. Palm and Handspring used to mean something with innovation and giving people what they want, now they can barely, if at all, keep up with the Jones's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    I am currently looking at the iPhone simply because of the new pricing, functionality and, truthfully, simplicity of it all. I see what others have done with their phones (some guy has like 200 apps running on his supposedly..) and i dont' get that. if I need that sort of power or I'm that unhappy with what my phone delivers then it seems a waste to spend the hundreds of dollars on the phone and then even more money on apps. maybe Android or Limo or whatever else is coming will help take care of it but if I have to spend more money on apps than the phone something is wrong.
    You raise a bunch of good points (too many to quote). You're right on that it's a personal decision driven by your own needs, and that's the point I was trying to make earlier but not making it quite so well.

Personally, I want to customize and add aps to do new things over the life of the phone, not be limited to what the phone came with. Apple's restrictiveness doesn't give me hope that iPhone users will have nearly as many options.

As for the browser and multimedia, those are lower on my priority list. I don't want my phone to be an entertainment portal enough to sacrifice the customizability and power of WM.

And, of course, I just can't deal without a hardware keyboard. No likey touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I do have an ipod touch which has helped me in figuring out a lot about the current iPhone but you're right the keyboard does leave a lot to be desired. I love the Treo keyboard
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

So what would folks suggest that Palm do differently? They can't really expand the screen size w/o changing from the front keyboard (and use a slider or virtual keyboard). .
    Just a thought and I am sure it would be a technical nightmare. To make a larger screen but maintain the form factor do a slider along the line of the old T3. The front key board could slide down or the screen would slide up. (can't remember exactly how it worked) for internet viewing, but use standard size screen for everyday use.

Just a thought. Not sure if it would even be remotely possible.
    I'm running on my 700w which has been painful but the cost to upgrade has simply been way too much. I have to admit though I'm by no means a power user of WM.

The one thing that really turned me to the iPhone (to at least give it a darn good look) was really one thing: Safari. Unless you have experienced what it is like to actually browse the internet through your phone with a real browser, you have no idea what your missing. Yes I realize the current limitations of Safari and plug'ins etc but even Apple has to cave on that stuff. The advantage I've seen with Apple is that they are learning their lessons AND following through and giving customers what they want. This is unlike Palm who don't really seem to care what customers want anymore. I so miss Handspring When I have to move back to the Pocket IE, I shed a tear each time it's so painful now.

the huge bad thing to me about the iPhone: AT&T. I do not like AT&T, I have never been treated well by them, and I could go on but that would be the main reason i don't do iPhone at all. ever.

Now throw on top of that all the multimedia you could ever want plus the screen. I like how peple complain about the screen on the palm's and rejoice at 320x320 but take a look at iPhone screen and it's heaven.

Ok, I'm through gushing because I'm starting to sound like a complete fanboy which I'm definitely not. In the end, each person has their own needs and wants. What works for one person doesn't work the other. There is no best smartphone out there because each one is preference. It's really as simple as that. I personally have waited and waited and waited for the 800w to come out and, like someone said earlier, it really looks like it's too little too late. Palm and Handspring used to mean something with innovation and giving people what they want, now they can barely, if at all, keep up with the Jones's.
    Yep in truth I really only need my device to do a few things well outside the expected.
    1) Browse the net
    2) Email using gmail.
    3) videos and music on plane trips and working out at the gym

oh yeah and phone calls
    I hear you guys & believe me I'm sure I will miss some Treo functionality when I pick up my iPhone in 2 weeks. I will miss hard keys & tactile feedback (although my "s" key has been sticking for a year), slingplayer, & replaceable battery. But that just isn't enough to keep me from at least trying the iPhone. I just look at the 800w & think "blah". Even BB is dropping the no frills business look & striking out with the Bold. Most people want a little style for their money. I don't want it so others will think I'm cool. At $200 every d-bag with a steady paycheck can get an iPhone. I just prefer something that doesn't look like an engineer designed it! (fyi...I'm an engineer). If Honda & Toyota can get past the boxy look while keeping the performance so can Palm.
    Apple is very very tight up until they announce the product (this is where Palm and Apple are the same)...
    yeah, my analogy was limited to just this as I didn't say they were the same in every single way.

To be honest, the iPhone 3g hoopla is a lot less than I expected it would be and you gotta ask yourself: does the regular joe on the street still know what "3g" is or means? Do the regular folk really care? I think the iPHone 3g won't be as a big deal as the original iPhone, the fad is wearing down a bit. It'll do well, but there's just too many compelling devices out (even the Sprint Instinct is selling very well).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Agreed, half the people out there have no idea what 3g is. The problem is that the other half thinks Apple invented 3g and are going to be the first to bring it to market.

Terrible, lol...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    3g? isn't that Steve Jobs' apartment number?
    I'm waiting for the 800w for only one reason. I purchased Softmaker Office several months ago, and while it works well once opened on the 700wx, it is slow to open on the device. I can keep several docs open in their version of word and excel, but the program works best in ROM, and I'm limited on memory there. If you're interested in complete replication of Word and Excel (and Powerpoint) on your phone, try it. You can try it on the memory card, but when I installed it there, the program closed for me each time I turned the device off. With much more memory on the 800w and with the new processor speed and the keyboard, the program should be quite amazing. I don't work for Softmaker, I'm just that excited about the program. I'm waiting for the 800w, advertising hype or not!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm curiuos what you do with that? Do you use for creating or viewing docuemnts or both? I've tried the built-inn office stuff and the screen is just too small, for me that is, to do anything productive with it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast