Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Besides all the cool software, the major thing missing from Iphone is the ability to "cut and paste"! I use that all the time.

I am tired of waiting for Palm OS update ( I really didn't like the lag time of the 700wx) But right now I am waiting for either the 800W or the HTC Touch Pro - because that has onscreen keys for short stuff and a slide out keyboard when I really have to enter texts.

Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I thought many of the same things and went and purchased (retail) a HTC touch... thinking I NEED the features (GPS, bigger screen, EVDO Rev A)... and guess what? I am just waiting to get the 800w (again will pay retail )

Looks cannot compare to functionality... I suspect you will have a real coming to god moment when you realize you have NO hard keys and actually have to look at the phone to do anything and lets not talk about battery life. All the things you said you'll miss... I suspect you will REALLY miss... just for a prettier package.

I made the mistake twice now (once with the tilt... went back to my 700wx and now with the touch... trying to hang in there for the 800w). I'm no Palm fanboy (frankly I think the company is mismanaged and not in good health)... but be sure -- I won't make the pretty/slick/touchy rah-rah mistake again.

Not suggesting you don't try the iPhone like you said you would... (clearly I tried stuff too)... just giving my experiences.

What I learned is that I NEED the dang hard buttons -- the Tilt slidey kebord annoyed me (had to slide every time I wanted to type -- danngit I just want to send my text... too many extra steps). The touch screen interface just plain bugs me (For years I never touched any of my devices' screens -- dint want fingerprints -- and now its the only way to use the device???!!). My Touch's screen is just gross: yuck gets under the silicon case... the screen has this dusty dirty film on it... its summer -- my hands sweat... and god forbid I get a call while eating fries or something.... Arrrrggggg!

yah I need the hard keys. However for me I think I have figured it out. I think Malesta alluded to it in another post. Palm puts that extra care in the device, the tweaks, the customization.

Its like Tivo (the real tivo not just any DVR) or the Wii -- yah there are alot of competitors to both -- but in both of those cases those guys just got the usability/HCI just right -- if anyone has used a Tivo and say the DVR that comes with satellite or cable services, I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. On the Wii side... sure the games kinda suck, but as a general consumer set top box media device.... my grandmother could work it.

I think Palm got it right with the Treo too - same thing. So I am back in line... waiting
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Insol, I agree with what you said. I got a touch a week ago. Up till then I thought of dumping vzw and my 650 for new iphone. GPS, browser is amazing, etc. But, I too need 1 hand operation. And yes, I drive and eat fries;-) .

I tried a samsung 760 and decided slider is no good. Tried a curve, just didn't have it for simplicity like the 650 did. Had vzw released the centro a month earlier, I would have it. And for those who say centro is low end, i couldn't agree less. It has everything a 755 has! Its just smaller and priced less (well , less battery). But its hard for me to go forward with POS.

Anyone know when vzw will get the 800? The slides say Q3, that starts in 2 days and ends in 92.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    But, I too need 1 hand operation. And yes, I drive and eat fries;-) .
    Yeah. Need that one handed operation when driving and eating fries.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Anyone know when vzw will get the 800? The slides say Q3, that starts in 2 days and ends in 92.
    I honestly can't see them getting it in Q3, for the following reasons:

1) Sprint (it appears) has the exclusive for a period of time, starting July 13th (or there-a-bouts).

2) Verizon is sinking money into WM6.0/6.1 (/me kicks the stupid hybrid crap they have). If they're dumping money into WM6.0/6.1, that tells me that they're desperate for something to fill the gap between the WM5 700wx and the 800w. No way is a company going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on developing, testing, deploying, and supporting (not to mention licensing) a new OS for a phone if it's going to be replaced in 3 months.

Then again, Verizon's done dumb things before....
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Here we are just one week (basically) to go and still nothing! Are they trying to keep this a secret? With one week till release you would think that someone would have a video of one in the wild, instead of some blurry pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Here we are just one week (basically) to go and still nothing! Are they trying to keep this a secret? With one week till release you would think that someone would have a video of one in the wild, instead of some blurry pics.
    Sprint stores are supposed to get it in one week to the release date. I'd expect a lot of leaks to start about that point.

No one has one in their hands yet though. Just be patient.
    The leaked docs said July 7th if I recall correctly. So I might have this phone in my hands next Wednesday/Thursday, yet Palm hasn't even acknowledged it yet? They usually announce new products on Mondays, so I was disappointed when the past Monday came and went.

I hope we don't wake up this Monday morning to an August 32nd release date.
    Id like to think one of us will get our hands on one next week.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  8. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I talked to a guy from Sprint in India. He said the 2nd or 3rd week of July so that jibes with the 13th date. My money is on that...
    Who said Sprint has exclusivity?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Alright, so I was prepared to buy an iPhone as I had mentioned above but I can't. I just can't do it. One the battery issue. 5 hours of talk time and not replaceable. Simply unforgivable. I live and die by my phone and that kind of battery incompetence is just that.

Second, the coverage. It's funny a few days ago I had realized I had never really looked at AT&T's current coverage. Then I did and then treocentral posted the map as well and that sealed the deal. I travel a ton and I'd be out of 3g coverage a ton. Why would I pay for 3g when I can't even use it? I cannot believe how bad AT&T is in this category. I really cannot believe why anyone, anyone would want to go with AT&T for anything at this point.

So I'm stuck at Verizon for now. I get great covereage and great speeds. Unfortunately I have to wait months on end to see if this 800w thing will even show up on the radar for Verizon. I keep looking at their phones and I can't even find anything remotely worth trying at this point. My 700w is on it's last legs and no phone on the horizon.

I'm a sad sad man
    3G works in Chicago and I'm with AT&T. I'm guessing they still haven't covered smaller metro areas?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    AT&T is planning a rapid deployment of their 3g network in most major metro areas this year to coincide with the iPhone release. I'm in Chicago and currently on VZW but jumping ship to AT&T on Friday (already opened my account ). I am very concerned about difference in coverage quality and speed as I'm frequently in Champaign and AT&T does not have 3g down there (VZW does). I have gotten to the point that I am so sick of VZW's horrible smarphone selection that I am willing to try an inferior network to get a phone I want. We'll see how it goes...
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    AT&T is planning a rapid deployment of their 3g network in most major metro areas this year to coincide with the iPhone release. I'm in Chicago and currently on VZW but jumping ship to AT&T on Friday (already opened my account ). I am very concerned about difference in coverage quality and speed as I'm frequently in Champaign and AT&T does not have 3g down there (VZW does). I have gotten to the point that I am so sick of VZW's horrible smarphone selection that I am willing to try an inferior network to get a phone I want. We'll see how it goes...
    Promises, promises. If that becomes true that they actually grow it ( you do realize only 6 months left in the year!), then I'll look at it again. Truthfully, that map is pathetic and AT&T isn't known for following through on promises unless it suits them. A bunch of people flocking to th enew iPhone won't make them move any faster either. I've stated my feelings on Palm and trust earlier in the thread but I'll trust them over AT&T any day of the week.
    I do think AT&T will have to step up their game, because otherwise they will get accused of goughing people for 3G service when there is none available. They simply don't need bad press with the price of iPhone contracts going up.

JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Terrible timing and advertising on Palm's part IMO. I got a notice in my email just NOW!!

Waiting till AFTER the 3G iPhone is released? Any business customers who wished they could get an iPhone the first time but couldn't, were waiting for iPhone's 3G and smartphone/Exchange apps to show up and may have already jumped on the iPhone. Unless they're hooked on Sprint's rates. Or WM.

But honestly, this was not a well timed or well advertised release IMO.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Terrible timing and advertising on Palm's part IMO. I got a notice in my email just NOW!!

Waiting till AFTER the 3G iPhone is released? Any business customers who wished they could get an iPhone the first time but couldn't, were waiting for iPhone's 3G and smartphone/Exchange apps to show up and may have already jumped on the iPhone. Unless they're hooked on Sprint's rates. Or WM.

But honestly, this was not a well timed or well advertised release IMO.
    Palm didn't even post it on their website till this morning the day after it was released

This entire process was like they didn't want anyone to know about it. Are they embarrassed that it was a year late and that they are getting ready to release the next gen treo in under 6 months

There was alot of little inexpensive things that they could have done to promote the 800W but they did nothing.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123