Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I hear you guys & believe me I'm sure I will miss some Treo functionality when I pick up my iPhone in 2 weeks. I will miss hard keys & tactile feedback (although my "s" key has been sticking for a year), slingplayer, & replaceable battery. But that just isn't enough to keep me from at least trying the iPhone. I just look at the 800w & think "blah". Even BB is dropping the no frills business look & striking out with the Bold. Most people want a little style for their money. I don't want it so others will think I'm cool. At $200 every d-bag with a steady paycheck can get an iPhone. I just prefer something that doesn't look like an engineer designed it! (fyi...I'm an engineer). If Honda & Toyota can get past the boxy look while keeping the performance so can Palm.
    I agree with you my brother.

The only thing that could steal me away from trying the Iphone is the htc touch pro--the cdma version ideally. but as mal points out, that may not come until some time mid fall.

I have two plans. I'm not sure which altho a att store just opened downtstairs in my building so that's impacting my choice.

Plan A- Buy the Treo 800- use 30 days, return on day 30, Get Iphone, Use 30 days, Return, and by then the HTC touch pro is out.

Plan b. Buy the Iphone and try it for 30 days. If I can live without keys, then stay with it, else go back to Sprint.

What to do....
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Plan b. Buy the Iphone and try it for 30 days. If I can live without keys, then stay with it, else go back to Sprint.

I thought about this option myself but it's hard to justify the increase in costs to go to At&T when my SERO plan is so ridiculously cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sometimes you just have to ask

Basically, they're watching their bottom line: advertising vs. burning through their cash reserves (needed for development)

As far as no major leaks or official info--look, that's how they roll. They release when they want and they're very strict on keeping a lid on things. The only reason you see so much from "the other guys" is because they have too many leaks.

Apple is not much different.

And release is definitely the 13th.
    Leaks all over the place for the new iPhone!! They want that one to sell big, so that's the reason they didn't put too much of a cap on leaks, I'm betting.

For the rest of their hardware, yes. Including sudden price drops or discontinuations.

And Palm should take a tip from RIM. Bold, Thunder and Kickstand leaks are helping to sell the phones before they are even available! Leaks actually HELP to sell devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I hear you guys & believe me I'm sure I will miss some Treo functionality when I pick up my iPhone in 2 weeks. I will miss hard keys & tactile feedback (although my "s" key has been sticking for a year), slingplayer, & replaceable battery. But that just isn't enough to keep me from at least trying the iPhone. I just look at the 800w & think "blah". Even BB is dropping the no frills business look & striking out with the Bold. Most people want a little style for their money. I don't want it so others will think I'm cool. At $200 every d-bag with a steady paycheck can get an iPhone. I just prefer something that doesn't look like an engineer designed it! (fyi...I'm an engineer). If Honda & Toyota can get past the boxy look while keeping the performance so can Palm.
    I thought many of the same things and went and purchased (retail) a HTC touch... thinking I NEED the features (GPS, bigger screen, EVDO Rev A)... and guess what? I am just waiting to get the 800w (again will pay retail )

Looks cannot compare to functionality... I suspect you will have a real coming to god moment when you realize you have NO hard keys and actually have to look at the phone to do anything and lets not talk about battery life. All the things you said you'll miss... I suspect you will REALLY miss... just for a prettier package.

I made the mistake twice now (once with the tilt... went back to my 700wx and now with the touch... trying to hang in there for the 800w). I'm no Palm fanboy (frankly I think the company is mismanaged and not in good health)... but be sure -- I won't make the pretty/slick/touchy rah-rah mistake again.

Not suggesting you don't try the iPhone like you said you would... (clearly I tried stuff too)... just giving my experiences.

What I learned is that I NEED the dang hard buttons -- the Tilt slidey kebord annoyed me (had to slide every time I wanted to type -- danngit I just want to send my text... too many extra steps). The touch screen interface just plain bugs me (For years I never touched any of my devices' screens -- dint want fingerprints -- and now its the only way to use the device???!!). My Touch's screen is just gross: yuck gets under the silicon case... the screen has this dusty dirty film on it... its summer -- my hands sweat... and god forbid I get a call while eating fries or something.... Arrrrggggg!

yah I need the hard keys. However for me I think I have figured it out. I think Malesta alluded to it in another post. Palm puts that extra care in the device, the tweaks, the customization.

Its like Tivo (the real tivo not just any DVR) or the Wii -- yah there are alot of competitors to both -- but in both of those cases those guys just got the usability/HCI just right -- if anyone has used a Tivo and say the DVR that comes with satellite or cable services, I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. On the Wii side... sure the games kinda suck, but as a general consumer set top box media device.... my grandmother could work it.

I think Palm got it right with the Treo too - same thing. So I am back in line... waiting
    Schump939,

Softmaker is the same as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. When you open the program, you have the option to create a new doc or edit an existing one. Fonts display in their correct sizes, and the zoom feature allows my aging eyes to focus on the small print. An option is available to view the doc as a full page (great for checking layout!), as a percentage view, and as a modified view in good-size text which fits to the screen. One problem with the program is in setting WM5 to always open docs with the Softmaker programs. Using that setting, Flexmail has a lengthy delay in selecting Resco Explorer files to add an attachment. As a workaround, I leave Pocket Word as the default for office docs, and use the Open With option to select Textmake and Planmaker.
    You may be right, insol. I think I may be back, if not for the device than due to the overall crappiness of AT&T service.

However, any speed gained by Palm's "tweaks", which in some cases really are great, is lost in the overall sluggishness and instability of WM. I am constantly resetting my Treo and having to sit there while it tries to catch up with me. My good friend has a 755p and has similar problems. Palm is infamous for releasing underpowed devices not ready for prime time, and the 800w has me smelling a phony yet again, especially with that lame processor. I just remember all of the posters claiming that 32mb of RAM would be fine for WM5 and look how that turned out.

Even if I hate the iPhone I'll probably still end up waiting for something else (BB Thunder, perhaps) as I just don't see myself giving Palm any more of my money.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    From a phone perspective, I started with handspring and the 300, then moved to the 700w. yea I'm a slow upgraders I admit the removable battery thing is something I just don't get with Apple BUT it took a very long time for Palm to understand that too. I just get annoyed when a company like apple can't seem to learn from others mistakes. This is especially true with the rumours of the battery life for the new iPhone.

I'm not saying I'm going iPhone but I'm definitely giving it a good look. Like I said, using my Touch the keyboard isn't bad. I'll miss the one handed function and I'll miss Verizon (I must be one of the few that has good service with them for years) but I just can't put alot of faith in Palm in right. I want to stay with Palm I really do but they aren't giving me a whole lot of reason too. Truthfully I think the hardware on the 800w is going to come up short like it has on almost every other device they have ever released. At least with Apple I see forward movement, I see them learning, I see them innovating.

Above all else, I need a new phone because my 700w has seen better days and I don't know if I can wait for Verizon to come out with the 800w sometime in the next 2 years
    However, any speed gained by Palm's "tweaks", which in some cases really are great, is lost in the overall sluggishness and instability of WM. I am constantly resetting my Treo and having to sit there while it tries to catch up with me. My good friend has a 755p and has similar problems. Palm is infamous for releasing underpowed devices not ready for prime time, and the 800w has me smelling a phony yet again, especially with that lame processor. I just remember all of the posters claiming that 32mb of RAM would be fine for WM5 and look how that turned out.
    I am using the Treo 750 for some times. I think Palm had done a great job in "tweaking" the underpowered Samsung 300 CPU. The slow clock speed of CPU can save some powers and the performance is better than a lot of 416mhz or 520mhz devices made by HP, O2 and HTC. Unfortunately, most people (including some posters in this forum) are judging the device by simply looking at the specification.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    ... Unfortunately, most people (including some posters in this forum) are judging the device by simply looking at the specification.
    You're right, but unfortunately that's all we have to go on for now. The 300mhz processor may turn out to be fine but, given Palm's history I think it is more than prudent to take a wait and see approach.

The thing that drives me crazy is this scenario: You get a Treo, it works fine. You start loading on 3rd party apps and then it starts to slow down to the point of being unbearable. You appeal to the forum for help and get the following response: "What do you expect if you load so many 3rd party apps."

This from the same folks who berate iPhone users for "giving up their freedom" and forgoing 3rd party apps. The whole point of WM is to be able to load 3rd party apps and tweak the OS as you see fit. All I'm saying is Palm has a history of putting just enough power in a device to run the OS as is. As soon as you start adding to it you get instability and resets. I have no reason to expect anything different from the 800w.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    You're right, but unfortunately that's all we have to go on for now. The 300mhz processor may turn out to be fine but, given Palm's history I think it is more than prudent to take a wait and see approach.

The thing that drives me crazy is this scenario: You get a Treo, it works fine. You start loading on 3rd party apps and then it starts to slow down to the point of being unbearable. You appeal to the forum for help and get the following response: "What do you expect if you load so many 3rd party apps."

This from the same folks who berate iPhone users for "giving up their freedom" and forgoing 3rd party apps. The whole point of WM is to be able to load 3rd party apps and tweak the OS as you see fit. All I'm saying is Palm has a history of putting just enough power in a device to run the OS as is. As soon as you start adding to it you get instability and resets. I have no reason to expect anything different from the 800w.
    I dunno, I have a bunch of 3rd party apps and I don't even look at my memory usage or manage it in any way. I just let it run. That was on WM5 and WM6 on my 700wx--it has a ton of memory; the 800w will have more than twice the available running memory of my current device (and more than any available on the US market)

I also know from feedback the 800w is very fast and zippy. As Gfong says, Palm WM devices are much more stable and fast than any other comparable WM device out there, even when they have "faster processors".

Dieter recently commented on how lighting fast the HTC Diamond is...once you turn off Touch Flo 3d
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/28/2008 at 11:52 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...As Gfong says, Palm WM devices are much more stable and fast than any other comparable WM device out there, even when they have "faster processors".
    Saying you have the fastest, most stable WM device is like saying you're the tallest midget.

If the 800w is indeed a great device I may be back when VZW gets in (supposedly) September. I don't care what kind of pricing is available, I will not be switching to Sprint. Man, having a Palm device on the Sprint network is literally like reserving a cabin each on two sinking ships.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Honestly, I have not had a stability or speed problem with my 8525. So I don't necessarily know if Palm has more stable or faster WM devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm usually equals "very bad advertiser". They almost never plug anything right! I'm surprised they even allowed all the Centro advertising and it probably helped them sell it, so take a clue Palm. Many times, people who don't visit these types of forums often don't know what's coming out if you don't inform them!!
    This /\/\
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I guess the question is when have the hardware specs ever lived up to the hype? history has shown that Palm cannot do the right thing when it comes to hardware. Being burned by the whole 700 series thing just makes me want to do nothing but stay away from them. If Palm had the right thing and offered current 700w customers a free upgrade to the 700wx, then I'd be behind them 200%. unfortunately I feel like I was royally screwed by them and I'm inclined to believe they will not change anytime soon.

Man, I really am bitter.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Man, having a Palm device on the Sprint network is literally like reserving a cabin each on two sinking ships.
    HAHAHAHHAH @ I agree with most of your comments and especially this one. Problem I have is that I really cannot stand the Touch (or touch screen interfaces in general -- I have tried many). I need the keys.

The only other choice here is RIM... and the closededness of their platform is really limiting. In my opinion there is a huge opportunity for a company to make a business-grade phone with a good front qwerty KB and WinMo for all the 3rd party apps.

Maybe I am in the minority here and business people really do want a closed OS (as do general consumers ala iPhone success). But consumers like me who want WM with front facing keyboard (no sliding/flipping/twisting garbage) are really in a really tough spot: Palm and Sprint are the ONLY options (until it gets to VZW and that only solves half the problem)

oops I forgot about the Samsung ACE but they are hard to come by... and dont have the Palm OS tweaks, like being able to search (quickly -- thru a simple dropdown) and dial right from the today screen. That feature alone (combined with the readily available keys because the WM SIP does not show on the today screen) is one of the best!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Maybe I am in the minority here and business people really do want a closed OS (as do general consumers ala iPhone success).
    See the problem here is that techies, especially open source people, believe that the OS actually matters to the masses. guess what? It doesn't. People want what works and what they are used too. 95% (exaggerated or not I'll let you decide ) of the people out there couldn't care less if the iphone or any iphone is closed or open from the OS standpoint. Does it do what I want? If yes, then buy, if no, then don't buy. To the typical consumer never, ever does the OS come into play especially with mobile phones.
    I agree, no one I know cares what operating system they got. I have friends with iphones , blackbearys , Instincts, regular phones sidekicks etc and not a one cares or even knows what operating system they have. I think I am the only one since I am a palm guy for years. and now getting ready to ove to Windows Mobile even I dont care what operating system I have. If the instinct met my needs I was ready to jump to that. Operating systems means almost nothing to consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    I guess the question is when have the hardware specs ever lived up to the hype? history has shown that Palm cannot do the right thing when it comes to hardware. Being burned by the whole 700 series thing just makes me want to do nothing but stay away from them. If Palm had the right thing and offered current 700w customers a free upgrade to the 700wx, then I'd be behind them 200%. unfortunately I feel like I was royally screwed by them and I'm inclined to believe they will not change anytime soon.
    I know your frustration. I was disappointed by Palm either. To be fair to the new Palm management, I think we should look at the delivery of Centro to judge the current management performance. Of course, the mistakes and poor execuation of the old management had been penalized by lossing the loyal customers and driving their shares down to a new low.

Personally, my perception to Palm has changed a little bit after the introdcution of Centro. It seems that the new management has done something right, that is to deliver the FIRST flawless device since introduction and they are able to fix some minor glitches within a short period of time by posting the update.

I was using a lot of PDA devices because one of my job duty is to test the new devices. I found that in term of USABILITY and performance, Palm is lot better than HTC. In term of the look, I agree other devices look a lot cooler than Palm. Hope Jon, the podfather, will deliver a good looking device in the near future as he promised.
    As has been commented before.....(but I just can't resist...)

The 700wx is one of the better phones out there for both speed and stability. It runs WM6 far better than many devices (Mogul? Forget that.). Once you strip the crap that the providers (Sprint/Verizon) add, then WM5 absolutely flies and becomes incredibly stable.

If you want to see what the 700wx can really do, try one of the WM5 custom ROM's I've posted. It'll blow your mind.

Now as to the P devices.....Palm OS is an antiquidated system that should either be retired or limited to Centro style devices (low end devices to have a relatively solid OS on them to keep costs very low). IMHO POS is not a good choice for an enterprise level device, as much as I loved my 650.
    I agree with a lot of of the posters. Most people never care about the OS. They're not sophisticated enough to know how to really, truly customize their phones and I don't blame them in the slightest. It's a geek thing and most people just want ***** proof phones that are "cool".

But that's exactly the reason I really like using smartphones. That almost limitless opportunity to play around and customize and tweak and experiment.

I've had my Treo 700P for two years now and I'm still finding new ways to mess with it.

So even though I grind my teeth with how long it take Palm to release new hardware, I actually look at the competition and I don't see what I want. I want a device that runs Windows Mobile Professional with a keyboard on the front that has a healthy amount of available RAM and has newer features like an integrated GPS, an improved touchscreen that is as large as possible, a faster processor and good battery life. Even the newest Treos don't fit that bill entirely, but none of the others phones do either.

I love the iPhone hardware (screen and UI mostly), but have absolutely no interest in its OS and the closed environment it holds (jailbreak or no jailbreak). I want to be able to tether when I need to, listen to BT Stereo when I want, use removable media whenever I see fit and have a battery that I can replace. If I want a bulkier phone, that's my business.

This new 800w should fit the bill nicely, for now....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast