Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zoompooky View Post
    So - ask a 700p user if they feel "abandoned". The majority of them have been left with a glitchy / buggy device with no hope of any support in sight.

Abandoned.

If you get your 800w, you better make sure it's PERFECT in that first 30 days or you're screwed.
    Soo......if I want to use my Palm 650, I should complain because it doesn't have GPS? Or wifi? Or support <insert item here>?

It's not like people didn't know what they were buying when they bought the 700/750p. It's not like Palm said "Hey, buy our 700p, and in 6 months we're going to give you GPS, Wifi, and full youtube support!"

Palm published the specs, said "this is what we support, and here's the price." People bought it. They knowingly bought a device without support for things like "My location"....and now they want to complain about it?

Palm's done nothing wrong. Now to use a different example, Verizon nerfing the capabilities of their phones (such as the 650 BT) is completely wrong. But that's not in any way/shape/form due to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Soo......if I want to use my Palm 650, I should complain because it doesn't have GPS? Or wifi? Or support <insert item here>?

It's not like people didn't know what they were buying when they bought the 700/750p. It's not like Palm said "Hey, buy our 700p, and in 6 months we're going to give you GPS, Wifi, and full youtube support!"

Palm published the specs, said "this is what we support, and here's the price." People bought it. They knowingly bought a device without support for things like "My location"....and now they want to complain about it?

Palm's done nothing wrong. Now to use a different example, Verizon nerfing the capabilities of their phones (such as the 650 BT) is completely wrong. But that's not in any way/shape/form due to Palm.
    No, 700p users can complain because they're left with a phone with random ringtone sounds, looping resets, and other things after the last firmware update that was supposed to fix the issues rendered the phone worse than it was before the update.

As for the 755p - you can't compare the 650 (several years old now) to the 755p (STILL the NEWEST treo available from Palm). The 755p is right now the very latest Treo smartphone available and in fact was JUST released for altel if I remember my releases. Yet - it gets no support while the Centro crowd gets feature after feature.

Last I saw, this was "TreoCentral" not "CentroCentral".
    I own a 650, 700wx and a Centro and have enjoyed all of them.

I don't feel abandoned nor do I care about what the 700p owners "feel". They can all jump off a bridge for all I care.

I judge each device on its own merits, specs and performance, not some disgruntled smartphone owner with an axe to grind against a company (who's success, failure or profability is irrelevant to me).
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

Palm's done plenty wrong when it comes to the 700p. When it came out, it was supposed to be the flagship product. Instead, it was fraught with bugs and simply didn't work as advertised. Palm then promised a maintenance release, which was overdue by many months. And when it did come out, it didn't work and actually bricked a lot of units. Not to mention, by the time it eventually came out, 11 months after the 700p was released, Palm announced that it was EOLing that model.

In any case, I think zoompoky's point is this: The very expensive 700/755/800 models are targeted at the enterprise market, whereas the Centros are targeted at the much more numerous mainstream, non-power users. People who pay top dollar for the company's flagship products expect to have top level service and functionality. If they don't get that, those enterprise users will vote with their feet and migrate to RIM.

Back to the 800W. I'm also looking forward to this phone, having put up with my 700p for almost two years now. But this time, I'm definitely going to wait for a month or so after the initial release to see what the user experience/feedback is.
    In the photo with the two "tester" units and charger, the unit on the left looks signficantly smaller than the one on the right.

Is the one on the left a tester unit for the the Treo 850 and the one on the right a tester unit for the Treo 800w?

Do I need to clean my glasses?
    Quote Originally Posted by SidePocket View Post
    In the photo with the two "tester" units and charger, the unit on the left looks signficantly smaller than the one on the right.

Is the one on the left a tester unit for the the Treo 850 and the one on the right a tester unit for the Treo 800w?

Do I need to clean my glasses?
    Methinks that's mostly a function of the angle of the photo.
    I don't think so. They are at most 2" to 3" inches away from each other. That wouldn't be enough distance to cause that much size difference. Would it?
    Its a illusion based on the angle of the photo.
    These should give a better indication of the size. The comparison has been determined by using % calcs, but is not official.

This one answers the color Q also ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LiveFaith; 06/26/2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Addition of pic
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by SidePocket View Post
    I don't think so. They are at most 2" to 3" inches away from each other. That wouldn't be enough distance to cause that much size difference. Would it?
    Definitely. Especially if the camera is close to the ground, as it appears to be. They're probably the same batch of testers, it's just an optical illusion.

As Mal pointed out, the design almost certainly has seen a number of tweaks to get to final version.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12