1.    #1  
    I've searched the forums for this issue and could not find anything. (Please forgive me if I've missed it!)

I was troubleshooting a Verizon Treo 700wx for a friend (connection issues)and noticed it's been flashed with a custom ROM (WM6 but with Sprint welcome screens). I tried downloading the official Verizon ROM update but according to the phone firmware screen, it's at the current version. Therefore it won't change anything.

I'm guessing most of his problem is that it was a bad ROM flash. However, I'd like to have the Verizon tech take a look at it and I know that the Sprint welcome screens will be hard for them to ignore. Is there a way to restore the official Verizon ROM (or even a previous version that I can update) and see if the problems go away? If not, I can then take it to the VZW tech.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanandcara View Post
    I've searched the forums for this issue and could not find anything. (Please forgive me if I've missed it!)
    You're forgiven.

I was troubleshooting a Verizon Treo 700wx for a friend (connection issues)and noticed it's been flashed with a custom ROM (WM6 but with Sprint welcome screens).

I'm guessing most of his problem is that it was a bad ROM flash. However, I'd like to have the Verizon tech take a look at it and I know that the Sprint welcome screens will be hard for them to ignore.
    Your "friend" ( ) doesn't have a bad flash or it wouldn't be booting. The ROM might be bad, but I doubt it.

What are the problems he's having? If he's stuck in Digital Roaming I will be writing up a quick walkthrough on how to fix that.

I tried downloading the official Verizon ROM update but according to the phone firmware screen, it's at the current version. Therefore it won't change anything.
    Is there a way to restore the official Verizon ROM (or even a previous version that I can update) and see if the problems go away? If not, I can then take it to the VZW tech.
    You can't update while in WM. (Well, you can but I don't recommend it.)

There are two ways to flash.

1) Grab the Verizonized 1.15 ROM (has the Verizon Splash screens). (See first post in the custom ROM thread for instructions on how to flash.)

2) Earlier in my custom ROM thread I wrote up a procedure for flashing using the desktop updater (when I broke my SD card drivers). You should be able to use that for the update.

HOWEVER, if your "friend" is having the issues I suspect he is, then reflashing won't help. You need to reprovision the phone, and I will be writing up a "how to" on that.

Let me know what the problems are, and we can move on accordingly.
  3.    #3  
    ebag,

Yes, this is for a real friend... My wife and I only use the Palm OS. (I finally brought her to the "dark side" by getting her a Centro.)

The issue that he was experiencing was frequent but random resets. Come to find out the problem wasn't software at all - it was a bad battery connection. Every time he'd bump the device it would lose connection with the battery.

On a related note, I did find the "official" Verizon ROM. In your Custom ROMs thread a user had uploaded the image dump from his Verizon 700wx. I loaded that using your instructions and it worked like a charm. Now he'll be off to the VZW store to get it fixed (thanks to insurance). Once he gets it back, I'll point him to your thread if he's interested in a custom ROM.

Thank you!
    ...My wife and I only use the Palm OS. (I finally brought her to the "dark side" by getting her a Centro.) ...
    You have it backwards. By going to Windows, I have succumbed to the "dark side."