1.    #1  
    The 800w is going to be my first WM phone. (I'm a state employee, so you can guess that my employer doesn't supply me with a smartphone... but for my own efficiency I'm going SERO w/ the Treo on my own!) So, I'm going to have a bunch of noob questions after the 13th, but let me start with this one.

About how long does it take for a free tethering program (PDAnet?) to come out for a device? Like most users, I expect, I won't need to tether very often and couldn't justify the monthly fee...
    You don't even need PDANet with WM6 and Internet sharing. It's transparent to the carrier.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    You don't even need PDANet with WM6 and Internet sharing. It's transparent to the carrier.
    Really? That's pretty sweet. Is that something that the carrier can cripple in the OS? Not a big deal if they do, I'm sure, b/c the community will un-cripple it quickly enough....
    Incorrect. They can, and they do.

PDANet bypasses the built in tethering programs by having its own "proxy" program. So, the carrier just sees that the phone is browsing.

However... when using "Modem Link" for example, ob a Verizon 700wx, they absolutely know, and control it based on whether or not you are paying for tethering.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by treythompson View Post
    Incorrect. They can, and they do.

PDANet bypasses the built in tethering programs by having its own "proxy" program. So, the carrier just sees that the phone is browsing.

However... when using "Modem Link" for example, ob a Verizon 700wx, they absolutely know, and control it based on whether or not you are paying for tethering.
    So PDAnet will most likely be required for inconspicuous tethering on the 800w...
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    So PDAnet will most likely be required for inconspicuous tethering on the 800w...
    If Sprint leaves the native WM6 ICS app alone on the 800w like they did on the Mogul, then you won't even need PDANet.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    If Sprint leaves the native WM6 ICS app alone on the 800w like they did on the Mogul, then you won't even need PDANet.
    And if they don't you can add it.....
    Or just use bluetooth DUN (or is that no longer in wm6?) like I do on the 700wx with sprint. Works perfectly (no pdanet required).
    So wait, this thread is confusing. Without a Phone as Modem plan, do you still need PDAnet or not?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So wait, this thread is confusing. Without a Phone as Modem plan, do you still need PDAnet or not?
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one! It seems like it is dependent on what Sprint does with the OS's built in sharing program. If Sprint nerfs that, can we re-enable it or will we need PDAnet? That's where I'm lost.
    Since the 800w hasn't been released we don't know if Sprint will "nerf" free tethering or how they might do it. With the Mogul, fixing the problem was as easy as deleting a registry entry and using the built in ICS application. Time will tell..
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I hope the PDAnet can use used on the 800w.

It will take a few weeks for them to include it on the PDAnet software.

I been using my Mogul with PDAnet and I love it. It teather alot better than the Motorola Q.
    Yeah, I currently have a q9c which does include the built-in Internet Sharing software, but I always assumed that that was only for Phone-as-Modem plans.