Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1777-1.htm

Not 6.1, 6. Not Sprint. Weird. "Spring or summer"

Also, won't work on the 700w
  2.    #2  
    Still, though, WM6 is NOYCE.

Sister-site TreoCentral uncovered some training slides for Palm CS reps that reveals an unexpected boon: the Treo 700wx on Verizon will be getting a free update to Windows Mobile 6 in the coming months. Nice.

Now for the “weird stuff.”

1. There's no mention of a Sprint update (probably because they'll be wanting you to buy a Treo 800w instead, eh?)
    2. Windows Mobile 6.1 updates have started coming out and Palm is just *now* getting to Windows Mobile 6? What?
    3. It won't work on the Treo 700w (actually, that's not so weird, given the 700w's anemic memory problems)

Still and all, it's nice to see the old dog learn a few new tricks. We don't have any clearer release date than the one you see there in the title, but we're going to go out on a limb and say this means that Verizon lovers are going to have to wait for a period of exclusivity to end before they get their hands on the 800w. Meanwhile, you have some quality updates to the Treo to stick around for.

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru..._get_wind.html
    This is pretty good news, I just bought myself another Verizon 700wx (after giving it away) in anticipation, though I'll tinker with custom roms before it gets released. My hopes:

• Fixes the longstanding out of memory error when popping in the wifi card. With WM6 we can finally use wmwifirouter. The slides specifically mention 'internet sharing' will not come with the device, but xda has a solution for that here.
    • Fixes the call answer / actually hang up bug
    • Comes with threaded SMS in ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    1. There's no mention of a Sprint update (probably because they'll be wanting you to buy a Treo 800w instead, eh?)
    Actually, this was just what I was waiting for.

Watch the custom ROM thread for the next few days. I hope/expect to have something out this week. Hopefully I won't get lynched for sitting on it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Can not wait. I have VZW 1.20 and wonder if I can get an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlee7 View Post
    Can not wait. I have VZW 1.20 and wonder if I can get an update.

No?
    Sweet - nice scoop guys!
    The WM6 ROM was already released here.

I think this is the same as the "final one"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=397134&page=5
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    No way that's the final ROM, because that clearly states it's windows mobile 6.1. This is an official 6.0 update. That 6.1 ROM was almost certainly put together by that user
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Actually, this was just what I was waiting for.

Watch the custom ROM thread for the next few days. I hope/expect to have something out this week. Hopefully I won't get lynched for sitting on it.
    Prob not at all... I am not sure how happy a Palm WM6 device is without the PALM customization.

Vanilla WM6 is just a... Mogul.
    Great news!
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
    Might actually be 6.1?, unless they are over stating a few of those bullets. SharePoint support but the real give away is “powerful security” and here it comes folks "IT Policies" 6.1 allows domain membership and network policies. Hmmm Also I thought I heard some mention ages ago about WM6 upgrade for 700wx's Sprint & VerizTell(on) slated for the same time as the launch of the Treo 800w. Who knows. Both carriers are getting 800w so would seem that if one offers it both might. Which is a stronger argument for WM6 upgrade not 6.1 but they might just have some wordy explanation for why they chose that wording for the bullets.
    This seals the deal with me and Sprint . . . hello iPhone, goodbye Sprint.
    (good riddance)
    Quote Originally Posted by ouzome View Post
    This seals the deal with me and Sprint . . . hello iPhone, goodbye Sprint.
    (good riddance)
    Not sure I understand why? The 700wx has been out on Sprint for 2.5 years now. They are about to release an upgraded model (not sure if you've seen posts about the 800w). So why would they pay MS and Palm to cook up a newer OS (that probably won't be the best device to run WM6 due to memory issues) when they are dumping money into a newer phone?

I understand why Verizon is doing it... they JUST got the WX less than a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    So why would they pay MS and Palm to cook up a newer OS (that probably won't be the best device to run WM6 due to memory issues)
    I'm not convinced Palm is involved here. I..umm..."tested"....a "pre-release" version of the Verizon ROM, and it didn't seem to have all the Palm tweaks in it. I only used it for a short while, so perhaps I'm mistaken (or the ROM wasn't far enough along in testing).

Additionally the 700wx can run WM6 just fine. It's significantly slower than WM5, but far superior to, say, the Mogul.
    I'm not convinced Palm is involved here. I..umm..."tested"....a "pre-release" version of the Verizon ROM, and it didn't seem to have all the Palm tweaks in it. I only used it for a short while, so perhaps I'm mistaken (or the ROM wasn't far enough along in testing).

Additionally the 700wx can run WM6 just fine. It's significantly slower than WM5, but far superior to, say, the Mogul.
    Oh trust me E, from the convo's we've had I know it can handle it... I am just saying let's weigh-in with WHY would Sprint upgrade? It would still cost them $$$ to upgrade (whether Palm is in it or not, MS is def getting cash for it) an aging device they are "replacing" within a month.

My comments were more towards, why someone would leave for the 3g Iphone over this, which tells me they didn't need much "convincing" to switch sides in the first place.
    "Quite honestly, I am suprised Palm even bothered with this update, with new devices coming out soon (we HOPE), and the wx being a relatively older device. I am perfectly happy with the wx as it is, and after reading a lot of flashing threads and the update thread/article posted here, I don't see anything that interests me. I will look into doing the update and may even do it to keep current on things, but if I do, it will not make any difference on my decision to upgrade devices when the time comes (800w being released IS the time LOL). I will most definetly NOT do it right away though, I will wait until some more experienced people (AKA...people who can flash back if they need to) to attempt this and post back their findings (restore with backup made from wm5, device speed, stability, 'improvements' working......).

P.S. I thought BT voice dialing was a hardware issue, and could't be 'tweaked' or upgraded like that?"

I posted this over in PPCGeeks, and it seems to fit this discussion as well. One piece of information I did glean from this thread that worries me is the idea that (and yes, I know VZW is famous for not getting a lot of new devices nearly as fast as other carriers) the wait for an 800w with VZW may be a LOT longer than us loyal VZW customers think. I may look into writing a letter, or starting a petition to get them on the 800 band-wagon if it seems to go on forever. Most VZW CS/tecs I speak with say they don't even know about the 800, and that tells me either they are not allowed to discuss it, or it will be a LONG TIME coming!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Quite honestly, I am suprised Palm even bothered with this update
    It's not Palm. It's the carrier(s).

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    One piece of information I did glean from this thread that worries me is the idea that (and yes, I know VZW is famous for not getting a lot of new devices nearly as fast as other carriers) the wait for an 800w with VZW may be a LOT longer than us loyal VZW customers think. I may look into writing a letter, or starting a petition to get them on the 800 band-wagon if it seems to go on forever. Most VZW CS/tecs I speak with say they don't even know about the 800, and that tells me either they are not allowed to discuss it, or it will be a LONG TIME coming!!!!
    I wondered this too, especially since Verizon is just getting the Centro. With an update that's scheduled around (after???) the 800w is released, this does not bode well for Verizon.

I have trouble believing that Verizon is planning on spending tons of $$$ for what will (soon) be an obsolete device.

They may be planning on that upgrade in order to (sorta) fill the gap in the short term until they release the 800w, but that'd still seem odd to me.

Then again Verizon in their vast wisdom still sells people the 700w. So what do I know.

Here's something for the rumor mill. Sprint seems to regularly be getting Palm devices well ahead of Verizon. Possible merger?
    It's not Palm. It's the carrier(s).
    My bad, I was actually under the impression it was a combined effort, but I worded it incorrectly, and I see your point, if VZW didn't pay Palm, it most likely wouldn't happen!!

I wondered this too, especially since Verizon is just getting the Centro. With an update that's scheduled around (after???) the 800w is released, this does not bode well for Verizon.

I have trouble believing that Verizon is planning on spending tons of $$$ for what will (soon) be an obsolete device.

They may be planning on that upgrade in order to (sorta) fill the gap in the short term until they release the 800w, but that'd still seem odd to me.

Then again Verizon in their vast wisdom still sells people the 700w. So what do I know.
    Actually, I haven't even seen the Centro with VZW yet (I have heard it though), and that is what I think will happen with the 800....wasn't the Centro released with Sprint in October? That could mean a wait of over 1/2 year for the 800w!!!!!! Awwwwww mannnnnnnn

Here's something for the rumor mill. Sprint seems to regularly be getting Palm devices well ahead of Verizon. Possible merger?
    Although I don't see that happening anytime soon LOL, that would be nice for VZW customers (release-wise), but kinda suck for Sprint customers (I believe their data plans are a LOT cheaper than VZW)!!!!

Thanks for the thoughts to ponder though, sheds a bit more light on this whole 800 release thing!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast